Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments by John Paul II

edited June 2005 in Buddhism Today
Shortly before John Paul II passed away, I saw a news report that said something in one of JP's last books really upset the Buddhist community. I do not intend on reading the book. I don't even know the title.

If anyone did read the book, what did he say that upset Buddhists?

Comments

• edited May 2005
    I can only fathom a guess - he probably said:

All Buddhists and non-believers are going to hell.

Sheep and Goats!

:)
  • edited May 2005
    I think it would be more appropriate and respectful to concentrate on the really good things he did for Catholics around the world.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2005
    I could be totally wrong about this, but if I remember correctly, it was something to the effect that buddhism was a "lazy" religion or something like that. Nothing really bad, just misinformed.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2005
    In CTH, John Paul II characterized Buddhism in ways that were not accepted by Buddhists. He said that Nirvana is “a state of perfect indifference” and that Buddhist soteriology is “negative.” But later, in one of his addresses in Sri Lanka, John Paul II expresses appreciation for the Brahma-viharas (loving kindness, compassion, sympathetic joy, and equanimity), which are the positive relational virtues of both Nirvana and Buddhist soteriology. This change in the Pope’s depiction of Buddhism is highly significant.

There are other Catholic opinions and quotes from this article at: http://monasticdialog.com/a.php?id=577&t=p
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Brian wrote:
    I could be totally wrong about this, but if I remember correctly, it was something to the effect that buddhism was a "lazy" religion or something like that. Nothing really bad, just misinformed.

To be honest, I haven't read it either, but I posted this on the 2nd of April....

"I too, like Brian would classify the Pope as one of today's most prominent spiritual leaders. Unlike the Dalai lama however, he did make some rather hasty remarks in a book* he published, which were seen by many - Christians and Buddhists alike - as belittling and trivialising Buddhism as an 'escapist pastime". He did retract the statement, insisting he had been misunderstood and misinterpreted, but unfortuantely, given the Power of the Written Word, the damage had been done. It caused a furore; Sri Lankan leaders boycotted his visit to their country, and Thich Nhat Hanh was driven to 'respond' in his book, "Living Buddha, Living Christ." The Dalai lama himself has written a book - based on several lectures he gave to a multi-denominational audience - called "The Good Heart". A book exploring the parallels between Buddhism & Christianity. "

*"Crossing the Threshold of Hope"
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    That is interesting. I will not comment anymore because Christian based religions get me going and I do not want to get myself upset. I am trying to let go of my negative emotions towards them but it is hard.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    ComicallyInsane, I'm going to quote you a line from a wonderful little book, titled 'You don't have to sit on the Floor!' By a British author, Jim Pym. he's a member of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) and an ordained Buddhist Priest in the Pure Land Tradition. he has lived and studied both Religions extensively and lives his life comfortably embracing the two.

"If you hate the Roman Catholic Church, or even Christianity, you are as bound by it as if you love it."

Rev Jack Austin, Buddhist priest and member of the Cathedral Choristers Association.

And this is a short discussion between the Buddha and his long-life companion and cousin, Ananda:

Ananda spoke to Buddha, saying;
    "Master, I now see that Spiritual Friendship is a good part of Spiritual Life."
    "Say not so, Ananda", said the Buddha. "Spiritual Friendship is the WHOLE of Spiritual LIfe."

If we can't get past it, we get stuck in it, like an unpleasant tarry deposit on the bottom of our shoe.... transform it into an all-embracing love and liberate yourself from the shackles of your own making..... :)
    edited June 2005
    Thank you. I see what you are saying. By letting the frustration get to me it has a hold on me which causes me to not see things the way I should.
    edited June 2005
    Thank you. I see what you are saying. By letting the frustration get to me it has a hold on me which causes me to not see things the way I should.
    By letting the frustration get to you, it has a hold on you which causes you to cling to certain conditionings, and make you suffer. You are resisting possible discussion which might persuade you that not all aspects of catholicism/Christianity are "bad"....

There is profound good in everything. Even if on the outside it seems bad.
    This happened to a friend of mine....

She was involved in a car accident, where she was a pedestrian knocked over by a car. Many people came to her aid, but one man in particular knelt by her side, held her hand and stayed with her, talking to her, comforting her and generally supporting her in the most wonderful way. Later, while she was being questioned by the police in hospital, she discovered he was a convicted criminal out on parole. He had assaulted a couple in their home, and stolen valuables and property.
    "All I know", she told me later, "is that he made a tremendous difference to me, being there and just staying with me until the medics arrived. I don't even know his name" (she later found this out and thanked him in person) "but he was wonderful."
    edited June 2005
    No not all aspects of the belifs are bad. I just get frustrated with the whole blindness of them.
    edited June 2005
    Blindness is something that affects us all.... That's why one of the Eightfold Path precepts is 'Right View'.... Right on!!