Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Metta meditation and practice in schools and similar places

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
Hello friends,

Metta meditation is a most wonderful practice, where one develops a heart of good-will and warmth toward oneself, one's friends, neighbors, acquaintances... and progressively toward even one's enemies. One builds the attitude up gradually to include all beings everywhere. It is a way of connecting to and opening the heart of love within each of us, and is very beneficial both locally and globally.

I was wondering if members here had any experiences with teaching Metta practice to children, I was hoping to recommend some links to a friend of mine who works as a special needs teacher.

For more information on Metta practice there are tons of links via google and some guided ones on youtube. If there are specific videos or audio tracks people enjoy, please share them.

Thanks in advance ^_^

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Ooh I have a bunch of stuff to post but im working. I'll post later
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    @Jayantha awesome! Looking forward to it ^_^
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    ok I'm home now. First of all I can't say I have much experience teaching metta to children other then my nephew but in all reality I think Metta is something that children probably take to easier and can understand quicker then most adults. I don't think you need to make metta " for children" or anything like that. Of course thats not to say it hasn't been done ;).

Buddhanet.net Metta for children - http://www.buddhanet.net/metta_k.htm

as for metta links in general I always give this link after the guided metta meditations I do. This is the chant of metta in the pali beautifully chanted by a female lay singer who is apparently popular in Asia. It's in the Pali and has the pali words and english translations so you can chant along -

Also if the teacher wants more information as to what metta is.. this link from access to insight is very good( and very long ) - http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/buddharakkhita/wheel365.html
    sova
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    @Jayantha thanks! :D
  • I find it hard to practise metta even at home.