Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

RIchard Rohr on youtube..

"The Change That Changes Everything"

good video on how Jesus was pointing to no-self also... I mean I hate to even use a buddhist sounding word here since we all quickly attach personal perceptions to 'no self' but anyway thought this may be interesting especially to the Christians on here.. what do you think?
Invincible_summerToshskullchinstavros388

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    those Franciscan Monks are about the closest to Buddhist monks you'll find in the catholic faith. I always looked up to them growing up in the catholic faith.

"we focused on the outer authority and it has kept people at a childish level" love it.
  • This, exactly, is the Buddhanature and the "True Self". Fabulous! :thumbsup:
  • I want to thank FullCircle for posting this. I sent the link to some friends in CA, and they said they're part of a community that follows this guy's podcasts, or webcasts regularly. It turns out he has his ministry in my neck of the woods, and he has a global following! He's quite fascinating, routinely incorporates Buddhist principles into his sermons and writing, and practices what he calls a radical Christianity. Here's the link to his website and Institute:
    https://www.cacradicalgrace.org/richard-rohr
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Too bad the Episcopals/Anglicans in my neck of the woods aren't this interesting.
  • Too bad the Episcopals/Anglicans in my neck of the woods aren't this interesting.

Apparently anyone can watch this guy weekly on the internet, and bring his sermons into their home. I'm gonna check it out, I'm kinda jazzed.

Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Dakini said:

Too bad the Episcopals/Anglicans in my neck of the woods aren't this interesting.

Apparently anyone can watch this guy weekly on the internet, and bring his sermons into their home. I'm gonna check it out, I'm kinda jazzed.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep an eye out for more of videos of him.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

WE Episcopalians are an enlightened bunch on the whole, though.

My mother always taught me that if you couldn't find anything nice to say to or about someone, might be best just to keep yer yapper shut.

• It's not an issue of this or that denomination being "this interesting". After all, the Catholics generally aren't known for radicalism, except for Liberation Theology, I suppose. But this is a case of one brilliant, inspired guy doing his thing. He would have arrived at his interpretations probably no matter what tradition he'd been schooled in.
    Invincible_summer
    edited January 2013
    Nirvana said:

WE Episcopalians are an enlightened bunch on the whole, though.

My mother always taught me that if you couldn't find anything nice to say to or about someone, might be best just to keep yer yapper shut.

Are you from "my neck of the woods?" If you're not, I don't see why you'd take so much offence.

Can't a guy just state his opinion? What a ruttin' contradiction your post is - saying Episcopalians are an "enlightened bunch" and then telling me to shut up.
    It is a good video and I was glad to see it. However, my main thought was "O no, not ANOTHER book!" Even if the guy feels he has to produce one, why can't he wait till after it's been published to advertise it?

Good exegesis, but nothing new...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2013
    @Invincible_summer,

Quit bickering, it doesn't become you. Opinions are fine. When they border on direct personal remarks, the line is being crossed.....
    skullchin
  • I am aware that many, if not most, Christians have been misled into believing that the soi-disant canonical books are the only authoritative 'inspired' texts (this may not be the time or place to discuss the politics of the Nicaean redaction) so this may not interest them.

The truth is that both in the 'canonical' and deutero-canonical gospels (particularly in the sayings Gospel; of Thomas), letting go of 'self' is an integral part of the initial steps towards Christ's liberation message. Fortunately, there are many Catholic teachers (monastics and secular clergy mainly but few in the hierarchy) who remind us of this.
    DakiniInvincible_summer
  • Hi, Simon, I'm glad to see you're still around. :) I'm hoping to get info on how to follow Rohr's weekly sermons on the internet, so stay tuned, if you're interested.

Nirvana, are you no longer a Buddhist? Episcopalian, now?
    edited January 2013
    My Father is an Episcopal priest and I am imbued in the Christian Dharma. I simply cannot purge it out of me.

That said, in contrast to things Eastern, Western traditions seem to be based more on a hoax than on radical liberation and enlightenment of spirit. In other words, I believe that the Eastern traditions better approximate authentic spirituality and truth. But that is not to say that Western faiths have no value. Where they err is when they propagate the hoax of mythology that is rooted not in spirituality but in superstition and suchlike.

Living in South Carolina, where so-called "Evangelicals" are trying to hijack the very name of one of the churches I most love (the Anglican and the Russian Orthodox), perhaps I'm a bit over sensitive to people finding fault with my rather liberal denomination. Like seekers of the Eastern traditions, we Anglicans use EXPERIENCE along with reason, scripture, and tradition to form the four-legged stool which is the foundation for our belief and practice. Sola Scriptura is just not the Anglican way.

Excellent to hear your voice again, dear Pilgrim!
    Invincible_summer
  • Just curious; do you consider Eastern Orthodoxy to be a Western or an Eastern tradition?
    @Dakini : It is not my intent to lead this thread astray, but if you ask for a clarification here one is:
    Christianity, Eastern or Western, is a WESTERN phenomenon. That due to two main currents: its Graeco-Roman heritage superimposed on a Hebraic one. Eastern, I think, is generally considered to be of EAST-ASIAN origins, you know: China, India, and so on...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I see Orthodoxy as having a lot of Eastern influence, that's why I asked. Whether Greece is East or West is sometimes hotly debated.

Hopefully this isn't too off-topic. Since the topic is about someone who bridges Christianity and Buddhism, here's my utter FAVE Orthodox video, about a tradition in Romania, where hermit monks spend their life meditating in caves. Really reminds me of Tibetan Buddhism in a way, and the one interviewed talks about non-violence.

edited January 2013
    Perhaps I might have said more; after all, classifying things goes mainly to the designs of our own understanding rather than to the things in themselves.

There is a salient difference between Eastern Christianity and Western Christianity. The Orthodox are capable of an extreme mysticism, but also can be much more socially conservative than their Catholic counterparts in the West.

The Orthodox escaped the abyss of Reformed Dogmatics until late in the 20th century when our missionaries went over laden with gold, greenback, and beer, as it were. Imagine how horrified the Fundamentalist would be at encountering the Orthodox belief in Theosis. (See THEOSIS In Wikipedia.)

But, for me, the most salient differences between the Christians East and West don't add up really to much in contrast to the huge difference between the spirituality of, say, India, and the West. The West is FIXATED on Right v Wrong, Good v Bad, and some Final Judgment or Score or Super Sum, or something. In contrast, the East sees likes and dislikes as being the problem, and does not seek so much to judge as to understand and accept. In other words, Westerners see some Fault or Sin as the great separator between the human being and its divine encounter, whereas the Easterner sees Attachment (Just Attachment, pure and simple) as the thing separating him or her from the divine communion.

The Eastern way is just so much healthier and happier and nonjudgmental. Of course, The Lord Jesus saw things in the Eastern Light, but generations of his followers have tended to emphasize different things until, in some quarters, the message of Jesus seems to have been entirely put aside for some other "more worthwhile" agenda.

Well, I ramble. Best to quit for now. It's been a long hard day of toil at the nursing home.
    stavros388
  • Nirvana said:

Westerners see some Fault or Sin as the great separator between the human being and its divine encounter, whereas the Easterner sees Attachment (Just Attachment, pure and simple) as the thing separating him or her from the divine communion.

Both "sin" and attachment have the same origin: a misconception as to the nature of reality. Sin results from attachment and clinging in both Eastern and Western traditions.

Invincible_summer
    I dunno about origins, Dakini, but sin and attachment (or clinging) are two very different things. Attachment is a mere trifle, compared to the actual misdeed or ill posture that the word sin describes.

To my mind, the Eastern mentality is broader, wider, more generous, and more kind in seeing the state of attachment as humanity's chief spiritual curse. The Western, mind, on the other hand, tends to see darkest sin lurking almost everywhere. Indeed, for the classic Western religionist one of the gravest sins is the sin of Heresy: simply not being in accord with the CORRECT dogma. Sure, there are squabbles in the East, too, over certain things, but I don't believe that they have been the source of murders of millions of people or things along those lines. The West is just too anal about its beliefs, because it is afraid to let go and just let things be what they are.

I believe that there are a lot of people out there who are self-sacrificing and kind and really too nice to be able sincerely to see themselves as SINNERS. However, they may have other problems, such as spending too much money on their hobbies or collections. If these things get out of their control and keep them from a higher calling, I think that the Eastern concept of Attachment is a more realistic paradigm for them than is that of sin. Westerners are turning away from the trappings of their traditions; they may still utter the words of their liturgies, and the words may be comforting, but they are based in large part on a tradition of hoaxers.

• Nirvana said:

Living in South Carolina, where so-called "Evangelicals" are trying to hijack the very name of one of the churches I most love (the Anglican and the Russian Orthodox),

Sorry, off-topic, but could you explain this?