Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What does it mean to Renew Ones Precepts?

Dear all :-)

I was trying to find out what it means to renew ones precepts. Does it mean to purify old precepts or to start a-fresh, so to speak .... I couldnt find anything that described the meaning of Renewing ones precepts.

Kindly,

Claudie

Comments

• ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    I have taken the eight Mahayana precepts before but only for a period of between 24 hours and a week (usually on retreat) as I am a lay member rather than ordained. I aim to maintain most of the eight precepts (see below) most of the time but when on retreat or actively observing them I strive to adhere to them as much as possible. So for me renewing the precepts means vowing to uphold them for a specified period once again, to start afresh I suppose. The negativity that I collect by bending/breaking the precepts when not actively keeping them is purified by other means (Vajrasattva, 35 Confession Buddhas etc.). I think this is common to Mahayana practice as I have had similar experiences in Tibetan Buddhism as well as Zen. Is there a specific situation you are thinking of?

The eight precepts are roughly:
    1. No killing
    2. No stealing
    3. No sex
    4. No intoxicants
    5. No lying
    6. No food after lunch
    7. No sitting upon a high seat
    8. No frivolity (jewellery, perfume, music or dancing)

They are harder to keep than they look!
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    ZenBadger said:

[...] I am a lay member rather than ordained. [...]

This leads me to another (hopefully related) question. When I visit temples during my travels, some members refer to themselves as "lay members" while others use the term "ordained lay follower." Is there a difference, or might this just be temple-specific designations?
  • ZenBadger said:

This leads me to another (hopefully related) question. When I visit temples during my travels, some members refer to themselves as "lay members" while others use the term "ordained lay follower." Is there a difference, or might this just be temple-specific designations?
    Do not quote me on it, but I would think these would be personal classifications.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    IMHO (soto zen)
    An ordained lay follower usually refers to a lay follower who has formally accepted the precepts in a lay ordination ceremony whereas a lay person just refers to a someone who is not a monk/nun.

The renewal of the precepts usually refers to those who have been lay ordained who are attending a specific retreat where the focus is on the precepts. These are often the same retreat where other lay members formally first take the precepts.

The 3 pure precepts...
    Cease from evil
    Do only good
    Do good for others ( sometime purify your heart/mind)

10 precepts....
    Do not kill
    Do not steal
    Do not covet
    Do not say that which is not true
    Do not sell the wine of delusion
    Do not speak against others
    Do not be proud of yourself and devalue others
    Do not be mean in giving either Dharma or wealth
    Do not be angry
    Do not defame, Buddha,Dharma or Sangha.
    Invincible_summer
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

ZenBadger said:

I'm way out of my league here being a Theravadan, but I do know the woman who is the creator of buddha center where I do some teachings is like a female "reverend" in the zen tradition or some such which is not quite a monk but more then a lay disciple, she can do some ceremonies etc. I think that is where the "ordained lay follower" may come from, although someone in the tradition may be able to know more detailed info.

as to the OP.. in Theravada renewing the vows is just basically like being reminded of them. Through most any event where there is some meditation and chanting they often chant the 5 precepts.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @Jayantha
    In the Soto zen tradition, Reverend is just a western term for monk. It is a reverential term that applies equally to monks, teachers and Roshi's.
    As a side note, I've seen Theravada's accept "Reverend" addressed female monks as legit but not Japanese male monks because of traditional celibacy differences.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • In the Vajrayana tradition, we can renew our precepts in front of a Buddha image or visualising a Buddha image once we have received the precepts from a preceptor (which in my case was my teacher, HE Tsem Rinpoche). Usually i have taken the 8 precepts for 24 hours on particular holy days, like Wesak day or Tsongkhapa day. After receiving the precepts from Rinpoche a few years ago, i just take the vows myself now when i wish to undertake them. i'm not certain if it is only in this tradition as i am not familiar with the other traditions. Hope that helps.
    caz
  • Dear all :-)

I was trying to find out what it means to renew ones precepts. Does it mean to purify old precepts or to start a-fresh, so to speak .... I couldnt find anything that described the meaning of Renewing ones precepts.

Kindly,

Claudie

I have not heard of this 'renew' thing too so it means nothing to me, just perhaps it could mean one has forgotten the precepts, does not practise for a long time too and takes a point to take note and reflect on them and also make a point to practise it. Otherwise, it could mean something like renewing your passport. Try to get a stamp somewhere, go the temple perhaps, take a vow, participate in a ceremony and let the world know that you are making an effort to walk the middle path.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I couldnt find anything that described the meaning of Renewing ones precepts.

I renew mine every day - like a daily reminder that ethics are an important aspect of the path.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    ZenBadger said:

The eight precepts are roughly:
    1. No killing
    2. No stealing
    3. No sex
    4. No intoxicants
    5. No lying
    6. No food after lunch
    7. No sitting upon a high seat
    8. No frivolity (jewellery, perfume, music or dancing)

They are harder to keep than they look!

They are harder to keep than they look! NO KIDDING.

Two things that can be said though:
    The first two aren't really hard at all.
    But the rest are really very easy to remember: No Self-Indulgence Of Any Kind Whatsoever.

• ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    Actually I should be working so I'm breaking the second one right now...