Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vipassana meditation

edited January 2013 in Meditation
Good morning/afternoon

I was just wondering if anyone has any views on this type of meditation or if anyone has completed the 10 day vipassana retreat.

I have booked up to go in April and any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Is it a Goenka one?
    I've done ten courses in that tradition, plus volunteered at one of their meditation centres for 6 months or so.
    What would you like to know?
  • I'm planning on attending a vipassana retreat as well, but I've yet to decide which organization to go with.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Takuan said:

I'm planning on attending a vipassana retreat as well, but I've yet to decide which organization to go with.

Why choose just one? Do a Mahasi course, and a Goenka one, and an IMC one. Take the best and dump the rest. All you have to do is decide which one to do first.
    Takuan
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I wanted to go through the Insight Meditation Society, but right now cost is an issue. My teacher has told me that all of them are good, so it's just a matter of finding which is more practical with regard to my monetary situation. So, I'm filling out the application for a Goenka retreat.
    BhanteLucky
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I thinks forms of practise that don't drag in a lot of rite and ritual often offer some much needed fresh air to a Buddhist practise.
    I also don't have criticisms of the Goenka retreats
    BUT

An inordinate amount Goenka students looking at other forms of meditation to practise have appeared to be somewhat unhinged by their experiences there.

I should say that I personally don't think being unhinged is a negative thing. My values are more related to how open and present one can be rather than worrying if someone is making others uncomfortable. I also have only met these folks after the Goenka experience and so don't have a "before" experience to compare with.

Anyway..I have thought that my experience with ex Goenka students might be
    because so many health professionals have encouraged those with substance abuse issues to use these retreats as a method of recovery.
    It may be because the intensity of this form of practise appeals to individuals with more personalities than are stronger than average.
    And it may be because those coming for Zen instruction after attending Goenka retreats are those who have decided Goenka wasn't right for them and therefore don't represent the average Goenka participant.

That being said.. my partner has attended numerous Goenka retreats and highly praises her experiences there & If she ever comes on this site I'm going to be testing out the sleeping possibilities of the couch.

swanny84BunksBhanteLuckyInvincible_summer