Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Commons vote in favour of same-sex marriage

13»

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Jeffrey said:

@Jason, some people do believe churches should be forced to marry homo etc sexuals. A friend on facebook this week posted how she finds it so horrible that the churches should turn away a homosexual from being married.

Which is why I said "most proponents of same-sex marriage" rather than "all proponents of same-sex marriage." In addition, it should be noted that making same-sex marriage legal isn't the same thing as forcing churches to conduct/officiate said marriages. Marriage (at least in the US) is also a civil contract, which doesn't require a church's approval. One can just as easily visit a judge, court clerk, or justice of the peace as they can a member of the clergy.
    vinlynJeffrey
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    For the most part though, all laws regarding same-sex marriage include the allowance for religious institutions to be able to decline to perform those marriages. I don't agree, but I do understand and I would not want to take that sanctity away from people who so strongly believe in it. There are of course people who do believe otherwise. I have gay friends who are Catholic and who want to force the church to marry them. But then I want to ask them, why they belong to a church who doesn't respect who they are and what their goals are in life.
  • Good deal, I says. I honestly don't see why it's still an issue much of anywhere.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

@Jason, some people do believe churches should be forced to marry homo etc sexuals. A friend on facebook this week posted how she finds it so horrible that the churches should turn away a homosexual from being married.

I don't believe religious venues should be forced into doing anything that falls outside of the bounds of their religion, I also believe Gays should be able to marry.

Win for everybody !
    BhikkhuJayasarastavros388
  • I wish more churches were open to gay marriage, because it is painful for LGBT members to feel rejected by their faith communities. But wishing is not the same as thinking it can or should be forced.

In the meantime, I support gay marriage as a legal construct and I'm also glad that there are some religious communities where LGBT couples are welcome. I'm a Unitarian Universalist and our ministers are happy to officiate at gay marriages.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    meanwhile, in London.... :screwy:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    federica said:

Yes, I was somewhat bemused when I heard this on the news. Maybe the RCs need a gay pope?
    :p
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited February 2013
    federica said:

I can just see the journalists sitting together pawing over stock photos trying to find one with a 'no gay mass' look... God's love manifesting as stern countenance.

For the eastenders fans out there... uncanny
  • Sorry - when I said uncanny, I posted this but it disappeared... and again
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013

Yes, I was somewhat bemused when I heard this on the news. Maybe the RCs need a gay pope?
    :p

Oh, Like they've never had one before? Pio Nono (Pius IX) is one of the most noted ones in modern times.

But I really wonder about the validity of the statement by the Stonewall director of public affairs, Ruth Hunt, whose words are cited in the article Fede linked in. "There has never been a more important time to provide a safe space for gay catholics to pray." A "gay church" doesn't sound so safe to me, given all the crazies out there and what a target the place could be when a lot of people are congregated. I know she meant "safe" in a "cozy environment" sorta way, but...