Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eleven

edited August 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I've heard that the number 11 or 11/11 or 11:11(am/pm) has some kind of special 'good luck' meaning in Buddhism. Is this true or am I just being jerked around? The only thing I can think of is that WWI ended on 11 November which I guess was lucky for anyone then.

Comments

• edited August 2006
    I've heard the number (11.11) has some sort of mystical quality (undefined as far as i know) but i've never heard anything about it related to buddhism... anyone else?
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited August 2006
    I'm not sure about "general buddhism" but I know that in Thai culture, the number 11 is considered a lucky number.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    There's a group over at MySpace called "11:11" for people who come across it a lot.

I started noticing years ago that I glanced over at my clock when it read 11:11 so often it felt like more than coincidence. Then I met the love of my life and he told me one day that he often had a strange coincidence where he'd look at his clock and it read a certain number. I said "Yeah, I know. 11:11" and he completely freaked out because it was the same number with him. This convinced him that we were somehow meant to be together, that it was a sign from the universe. Then he broke up with me a few weeks later. I guess a cosmic sign wasn't enough for him. lol!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Sorry Windwalker, for off-topic... I tried but I'm sorry, I couldn't find anything on that! :(

Hey, Brigid... This is an interesting site for you... Other than the slight hint of Christian preaching behind, of course, but it's worth a read.

http://www.uri-geller.com/articles/11.htm

Hey, great! My legal name has 11 characters too! Haha...
  • Argon.AidArgon.Aid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    11..thats the month of my birthday!..Does that make it lucky?
    Seriously, I thought lucky numbers arise when they appear linked to special events?
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited August 2006
    11 is considered an auspicious number in western numerology. I really can't say whether it is in eastern numerology. Even still, considering that Buddhism has no discussion of numerology & does not encourage it, then I would say that if 11 has significance in Buddhism it is not a numerological one.

I did do a little websearching and did find this link. Interestingly, it does not list anything under the number 11.
    http://www.thezensite.com/zen%20essays/Buddhism_by_Numbers.html

Does this help?

_/\_
    metta
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    C'mon, guys...Everyone knows the magic number is 43! (Hitchiker's Guide to the Universe)

Palzang
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited August 2006
    errr. actually it's 42 :poke: :p
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I know that Nigel Tufnel's amplifiers all go to 11.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Brian wrote:

Just testing you... :winkc:

Palzang
  • edited August 2006
    LOL!
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Brian wrote:

wait, what was the question again?

;)

_/\_
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    LOL!!

The happiest year of my life was when I spent my third year of university in Wales. My room number?

42!

I couldn't believe it when I first saw it. It was definitely a sign. lol! Well, it was actually. It was a sign...right on my door...that said 42.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    One of my New Age friends here in Sedona had the answer to the 11:11 question. She claimed that it was HAARP causing it. So what's HAARP, you may be asking. It stands for High Altitude Atmospheric Research Project, a secret US project out somewhere in the wilds of Northern Canada whose actual function is unknown but which is obviously not involved in high altitude atmospheric research! It has a huge energy supply and apparently directs high energy beams into the atmosphere, but for what purpose is anybody's guess. Weather control? Mind control? Who knows? Anyway, it was her claim that they shot off this beam every morning at 4:11 am Sedona time, and that's why you always woke up at 4:11 and looked at your clock. Actually I used to do that, back when I had something like a normal life and a normal 8-5 job, but whether or not her story has any validity I have no idea. Just thought you might be interested!

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Sorry, I didn't quite get that right. HAARP actually stands for High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program and is out in the boonies of Alaska, not Canada. It is most likely involved with communications, both for our communications (as with submarines) and as a weapon to disrupt the communications of enemies. But that's mostly a guess because the real reasons for the place are, as usual with the government, hidden behind the smoke and mirrors of the academic cover story.

Palzang
    edited August 2006
    Hmmm... One thing I always wondered with reputedly "top-secret projects" is that most of the time they seem to involve themselves with more or less "New Age" ideals like mind control, remote viewing, PK etc. etc. dwelling in the field of parapsychology...

Well, isn't it any wonder that most of the top guys around seem to be theists without any concepts of such mind-over-matter stuff?
    edited August 2006
    Woah... Something freaked me out totally today...

I was in class sitting peacefully (alright actually jubilated! I got an A1 for my "O" Level Chinese!!! :rockon: )... Then this classmate of mine (whom we see as erms... Simple?) just came over and asked me for the time.

I looked at my handphone (shh!!! Keep this secret! I'm not allowed to bring my mobile phone to school actually!), and my immediate reaction was that I literally EJECTED myself out of my chair, collapsed behind it, and the words "WHAT THE-" flew out of me totally loud till the whole class heard it ( Glad that there weren't many people in the class though.. Hehe.. It was recess break..), then followed quickly by a louder "OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!"

The time?

11:11 am! LOL!!! Hahahs... Guess I overreact at times... :rockon:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    *that!* is some spooky sheot!

well... not really, but it fits this thread. and you know what a stickler i am for staying on thread...

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Number coincidences seem to resonate in human beings. The signing of the Armistice and the end of the 1914-18 bit of the 20th century war: the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month!

And 11, being prime is magical anyway!
  • edited August 2006
    Windwalker wrote:
    I've heard that the number 11 or 11/11 or 11:11(am/pm) has some kind of special 'good luck' meaning in Buddhism. Is this true or am I just being jerked around? The only thing I can think of is that WWI ended on 11 November which I guess was lucky for anyone then.

O 'h my gosh!! ( Vally girl style! )
    A group of online chatters has commited to sit under a tree and meditate on releasing Metta Every Tuesday @ 11. I guess you got the message.;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2006
    ....Didn't get it immediately..... think it got through at around..... 11:11......;)