Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Born into the human realm

2»

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @Dakini, the energy from the bonds in the body go to new organisms such as bacteria and worms and plants. Fern plants and creatures rotted in prehistoric areas and are now mined as gasoline! Personally I think that the the energy and chemicals and so forth are the forms skhanda and the self is not the skhandas according to buddha. Thus the energy from that contexts to do with the form skhanda and nothing to do with the citta.
  • Dakini said:

Jeffrey said:

When the body breaks down it releases all the energy that ATP used to build up a highly ordered structured body.

Exactly. This is what we're trying to get at. So the body releases the energy it was producing? Where does that released energy go? Does consciousness bind to that energy? Or could it?

If "physics tells us that ...our brain operates on electrical energy...and that energy simply can't vanish", then what happens to it? Is this really what physics tells us, or is this some kind of misrepresentation? btw, any anatomy and physiology class tells you that the body (which includes the brain, also the heart) operates on electrical energy. I'm not sure that energy "goes" anywhere. The body just ceases to produce it anymore.

?
    :scratch:

I'm not a scientist so feel free to disregard this comment.
    When the engine in my boat is running it is "producing" energy by burning fuel. It is creating electricity to run the boats equipment, also hydraulic power and motion. If the engine is off the energy stays in the fuel tanks as fuel. If I take the engine out the fuel remains, unburned.
    In fact nothing is being produced, only converted. Most of the energy from the fuel becomes heat, or light, which of course, goes on to make subtle changes to the environment while being converted again. My guess is that the heat produced is mainly spent changing water from liquid to gas.