Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

just curious on this

edited August 2006 in Buddhism Basics
a curious question.

what is the proper way to bow?
and does it matter to whom the person ?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2006
    By 'Bow' I suspect you mean the "Gassho" or 'hands-in-the-prayer-gesture-at-heart-level,-bend-at-the-waist' bow....

Zenmonk, Palzang and maybe others may well be able to give you a good personal run-down of the ins and outs, but this may help, as may this....

It's a lovely gesture, isn't it.....?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Bowing is more of a Japanese custom. Tibetans prostrate to their teachers.

Palzang
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Always?

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Always what?
    edited August 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Always what?

Always prostrate themselves? Even in informal settings?

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Yes, of course. Why wouldn't you? The teacher represents the door to liberation. Thus the teacher is the most precious thing in the world to the practitioner. Of course, one isn't required to prostrate, but when one understands the teacher-student relationship properly, there's no question but that you would. It's also about laying down one's ego in the face of one's own buddhanature. It's a practice all in itself.

Palzang
    edited August 2006
    Easy there, Barney... I didn't know, that's why I was asking.

I didn't know if there was a formal greeting and an informal greeting.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    The only time it would be inappropriate to do so would be in a public place where it would draw undue attention. Like if you were walking around a mall and the lama walked by, you wouldn't throw yourself on the ground there. It would invade the lama's privacy, for one thing. Sometimes she just likes to get away, like anyone. In fact, my teacher hates to be prostrated to, but she allows it because she knows it is meritorious for the student. I've also been prostrated to, mostly by Asians who know how to treat ordained people, and I don't like it either, but again, I put up with it for the same reason. I really don't like being put up on a pedestal, so to speak, like something holy, because I know I ain't, but in reality it's the robes (the Buddha's robes) they're really prostrating to. Once another monk and I were walking in downtown DC when a young Asian guy came riding by on his bicycle. Immediately on seeing us he literally leaped off his bike and began prostrating to us. It was embarassing for both of us, but also we were quite impressed. I mean, would I ever swallow my pride enough to do something that audacious?!

Palzang
  • edited August 2006
    I personally see it as also showing respect.

I don't think ppl show enough respect any more and bowing is one way to do that.

I think it is wonderful.

I don't think one needs to go into a prostrate position unless you are with your teacher. But I think a short bow from the waist is good or even just your head. It's also a reminder for us, to follow the 8 fold path.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I find prostration very liberating. I was scared of 'getting it wrong' at first but the very act, mindfully undertaken, has so many benefits. My teachers say that they benefit all beings, too: I don't know about that - I take it on trust. I have, however, come to welcome the opportunity.

Just at the moment, I am experiencing an attack of 'glumness', for no apparent reason. Sitting meditation is agony and, at the same time, as essential as breathing. Prostrations, however, are a way 'into the silence'. I have also, in reflection after practice, been trying to deconstruct what happens and I think that it is a circular process, involving all the parts of 'me': body, mind, intention and will. I know of nothing more difficult to describe than the practice of humility - it is so easy to take pride in my cleverness(*). All I know is that the part of prostration on the ground feels like a letting go of all vanity, all pride, with a sigh of relief. It's like surrendering to gravity, which is what my body is doing.

Getting down and getting up are constant reminders of the First Noble Truth. And doing it again I 'offer' as token of intention to carry on, falling and rising again, on the Path.

Palzang-la: I can understand how it is easier to prostrate than to be prostrated to!

(*) The story is told that, when asked to recommend a book on humility. Frank Pakenham, Lord Longford, recommended his own slim volume!
    edited August 2006
    That's what I was wondering about Pal.

I didn't know if there were times where it would be acceptable but not desired - or at other times, just not desired (in the case of invading one's privacy).

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    That's what I was wondering about Pal.

I didn't know if there were times where it would be acceptable but not desired - or at other times, just not desired (in the case of invading one's privacy).

-bf

The way I think of it is like saluting in the military. There are times to salute and other times when it would be inappropriate. For instance, if you walk by an officer on the street, you salute. If you're working at your desk and your boss, an officer, comes over to talk to you, you don't. So it's sort of like that. If it feels inappropriate, don't do it.

Palzang
  • edited August 2006
    I have a question about all of this....is protrating where the person is just lying down on the ground, on their stomach, with arms and legs stretched in opposite directions? And what is it called when I see a monk do a sort of bow where they have their hands in prayer position, but then hold them above their head, then down to their heart, and then they bow? Or something like that....?? Does anyone know what I am talking about?
  • edited August 2006
    There are many ways to bow... in certain cultures...

A short or a nodding your head down a bit, is a respect for equal status.

a medium bow is respect for higher status, like tilting 45 degree from your standing positing.

a deep bow or almost 90 degree bow is used as an expression of much gratitude or much apology...

These are some of the normal bows in Japan. Although not a japanese, I simply know and act by this standard.
  • edited August 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    And what is it called when I see a monk do a sort of bow where they have their hands in prayer position, but then hold them above their head, then down to their heart, and then they bow? Or something like that....?? Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I think I may know what you're talking about, and I think that's just another form of prostration -- that is, if it's followed by bending down to touch the earth with the forehead, forearms, knees, and toes. That's how I prostrate. It's at least used in Vietnamese Zen, if no where else. If there's no touching the earth, though, I don't know what it might be called.
  • edited August 2006
    Yes! I think that is what I am talking about. I started to watch the movie Kundun (EXCELLENT movie, by the way) and I noticed some of the monks bowing that way, and I thought it was beautiful. So I was wondering what it was. I'll have to watch it again to see if they are touching the earth like that, but I think they are.
    edited August 2006
    There is deescrption of prostration hre:
    http://vajra.us/gus_prostration_1.html

• edited August 2006
    Pardon the interruption, but where are my manners? I forgot to welcome Reaction to the forum! Welcome, Reaction!
  • edited August 2006
    Apparently, I do not have any manners, either! Welcome to our forum, Reaction!!

And Simon, that is exactly what I was referring to and thank you for the link. Now I know how to do it properly.

Kim
  • edited August 2006
    oh thanks. I was just cruising around from e-sangha forum. checking to make sure if people need some help here.
    edited August 2006
    Good to meet you, Reaction. We shall be delighted to help if we can: just ask.
  • edited August 2006
    thanks for all the responses to this bowing question..im glad to see others were curious about the same thing..
    welcome reaction ..and your response was an easy one to remember.. and when you think of it ..it makes sense..like in karate when you enter the room you do the lil bow.
    and other times i have seen the other bows on tv.. and it is true.

lately .. i keep doin this without any thought.. when i shake someones hand i kinda lean into them and give the slightest bow toward them as im shakin thier hand.. and that feels very comfortable and respectful.. i dont they realize what i am doin.. but i think they feel the respect.

thanx again guys and gals..
    deep bows..
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    YM,

To answer your question, a full prostration is where you actually get down flat on the ground, extend your arms and legs, and bring your hands back over your head with palms together. Some people tend to stay down on the ground for a while (maybe it feels spiritual or something), but that is definitely not the correct way in Vajrayana. The idea is to get up as quickly as possible because the idea is that being on the ground represents being in samsara and standing up represents rising up out of samsara (i.e. becoming enlightened), so you don't want to stay down in samsara wallowing about but get out of it as quickly as possible.

A half prostration is getting down on your hands and knees and touching the floor with your forehead. This is the type of prostration you most commonly see when greeting your teacher. The full prostrations are more for doing the refuge portion of Ngondro (preliminary practices) where you accumulate 100,000 of them.

The bow with hands folded is called "gassho" (Japanese). It is the type of bow used in Zen. Japanese also do a quick bow from the waist in social circumstances - their version of a handshake - but I've never seen this used in a Buddhist type situation.

Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know about the subject!

Palzang

PS I'm going to be in Maryland until next Tuesday attending empowerments by H.H. Penor Rinpoche at our Maryland temple, and I'm NOT bringing my computer! So if you have any questions or tirades or whatever for me, please hold onto them until next week. Thanx!
  • edited August 2006
    oh palzang..... have an awesome time in maryland!
    i so respect your envolment, and your commited studies.

do enjoy! see you when you get back
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Thanks, Colleen. Should be an interesting trip. Lots of changes in Maryland since I've last been there.

Palzang
    edited August 2006
    Thank you, Palzang-la, for all the empowerments you have and willreceive. All beings will benefit.