Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sadness over Fundamentalism?

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited August 2006 in Faith & Religion
Well, most'd hate fundamentalists of course... Most are just hardcore Bible-beaters who well, even discount the views of most modern Christian scholars, and they have a certain resentment for Buddhists - the "supposedly what they think" is the classic composite of two of their greatest enemies - atheists and idolizers.

I know the situation in Europe is fantastic - there would be no radical who can stand up and not be suspected of some mental disorder, in America, I have seen, heard and known enough to know how pathetic it is. In Asia, we are not as distinctive - it largely depends on who from which church you are with.

But have you ever really opened up the news and read about some dismaying behaviour by some radical, or witnessed acts of cruelty by a Christian to someone else, or any really strict conservative who is too blinded by faith to become a total... Someone - and actually felt deep, deep sadness and that of wanting to just stand up, shout "SHUT UP!" and wish that such Christian would preach what is really taught, and practise what they preach?

It's really a very, very breaking moment when you realize that when you spend years studying religion, to convince the hypocrites to either become good in deeds (instead of just the faith in Jesus) and to defend yourself against the fundamentalist evangelists, preferring to use your knowledge to strengthen rather than destroy a Christian's realtionship with Christ, and in the end, when you truly mean them good when you tell them, or ask them to look up something, and they usually ignore you totally, or give a lukewarm response. Either way, in their minds, they will be thinking hey, this young kid here is a messenger of Satan, whatever he may claim himself to be doing!

Honestly I would rather I chase a sheep to be closer to the shepherd rather than to kill and eat up a sheep myself. In Christian apologia, it seems like while you are against the faith, you may succeed in unconverting some, but you also make the truly virtuous grow stronger in faith, as you also, unfortunately increase the irrational beliefs of fundamentalists around.

The power of faith... It can make someone cling onto anything so eternally no matter how He does not answer, prove, or assure... This is crazy, perhaps they'd do better in utilizing such faithfulness in real-life people and events - instead of complaining whole day about their boyfriends/girlfriends, spouses for not being this and that (increase in divorce rate!), shouldn't they place some faith and feelings in where they ought to be?

Back to the issue... Is it so... Illogical for me to express sadness over the Christians? :rockon:

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I don't think it is a mistake to mourn when the messages of peace and liberation that were spread by Jesus or the Buddha or anyone else are perverted by fanatics. While these distortions existed only within the holy huddles and 'credo ghettoes' they were simply annoying; but, today, they have appeared in the political arena and it is at that level that they must be challenged.

We are in real danger of losing the values of the Enlightenment of free enquiry, freedom of speech and religion and equality of all before the law. Democracy without these fundamental underpinnings is nothing more than a rubber stamp for the rich and powerful to do what they want.

In a world where over half the global population lives on less athan $2/day and over one billion children (50% of the total) live in poverty (10.6 million died in 2003 before they reached the age of 5), Christians need to be shouting the words of Jesus about clothing the naked and feeding the hungry. Instead, they are arguing about such rubbish as 'Creation' or 'substitution'. It is worse than the Byzantine riots about the iota subscript!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I cannot imagine the times we would live in if we lost all such Enlightenment values. I guess I'd probably have to confess to demon-worship and burnt in some high-class furnace!

I am reading a book now - "Atheist Universe" by David Mills, which outlines some possible outcomes of a Christian's political arena today and some possible universes where Christianity never existed and how they would prosper. I find myself fearful of the future if they were to come into control once more - would they do more to help the poor, would they arrest the intellectuals of societies from the greatest scientists to the best engineers, and charge them with heresy and blasphemy counts?

Today we see Creation "Scientists" emerging to take back the lost ground they once owned. Of course, we should be thankful to them for their natural philosophy, which evolved into modern Science, but it all ends there as I do not believe in a theocractic government. Religious authorities pressure their governments to switch to the right side of the political spectrum while also they advocate for our Science to be removed and their Science to be taught.

Why is it that our written works and our spoken sentences must still be held accountable to the God they believe in, when we cannot issue open rebuttals towards their religious statements to be accountable to our own rules we live by? Don't we all have a right for our beliefs to be respected, as well as our non-beliefs?

Why is it that God allows such disillusionment among non-believers to settle in, as all of his apologists' cannot argue convincingly enough to make us believe in Him, yet it is forced upon us by His Covenant that we must still put on a mask to appear as though we do follow?

Well, I'm really getting emotional over this but I shall cope fine later... A teenager's angst which nevertheless contains fact... It seems like whatever you do, things seem to be speeding towards a hopeless future as we cannot halt their advances. We do not ask of them to as much as skip a single sermon or burn a single Bible, but simply for them to be nice to us (or even their own religion!) in deeds - and I would have no regrets living under a theocracy even if it is just and fair, but... Disappointing...

I see good Christians everyday, and that lifts my mood. Unfortunately I also see ugly Nazarenes who call themselves Christians each day, and that just saddens me.

End fundamentalism today!!! :) :rockon:
  • edited August 2006
    buddhists don't take up arms, and attack ppl, conquer land.. christians do.. although they preach peace..

so really its not suprising they lost the path and europe is in such a shambles.. and buddhists are so few in comparison
    edited August 2006
    Please, Celebrin, don't turn 'Buddhists' into some sort of ideal group. Tibet had an army and prisons, oppression and feudalism even before 1950. Other 'Buddhist' nations have a terrible human rights record. 'Buddhism' put into political practice has been just as corrupt as the 'Christian'.
  • edited August 2006
    *steps back*
    edited August 2006
    *hugs friend*
    edited August 2006
    "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely."
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I am sitting here astonished at your intelligence and eloquence, Ajani. And this;
    Well, I'm really getting emotional over this but I shall cope fine later... A teenager's angst which nevertheless contains fact...
    shows great wisdom and self knowledge, as well.

You bring up two issues here; fundamentalist religion creeping into politics and fundamentalist religion in general. Regarding the political issue, we must do whatever is in our power to protest peacefully through civil disobedience. Church and State must be kept separate. We've seen the consequences and they cannot go unprotested.

But dealing with a religious fundamentalist on a personal level is a horse of a different colour. As you so wisely stated, arguing with a person who holds views like this is worse than useless; it solidifies their extremist position. So the only wise thing to do is not get involved in religious discussions with such individuals. Allow them to believe what they want to believe and let them go on their way. It's more important to think about what you are doing, learning and coming to understand than it is to try to change another's beliefs.
  • edited August 2006
    I agree with your approach to dealing with fundamentalist individuals, and I believe in freedom of thought as well; not getting "involved in religious discussions with such individuals," as you said, is proabably how I'd handle the matter. But that's only for lack of a better way. There must be a better way, too, though I don't presently see what it is.

This is from the Third Mindfulness Training of Thich Nhat Hanh's Order of Interbeing:
    "We will respect the rights of others to be different and to choose what to believe and how to decide. We will, however, help others renounce fanaticism and narrowness through practicing deeply and engaging in compassionate dialogue."

I suppose some actions are more easily read about than carried out.
    edited August 2006
    You flatter me too much Brigid - anyone can state facts. :)
  • edited August 2006
    yea you can't tell them what they don't want to hear... but you can tell them how being singled minded only perverts and destroys what we see.. and can only lead to division and then hate

lol
    edited August 2006
    I fear that the only way is to live the Dharma or the Gospel or whatever: keep the precepts, practise the Way. By setting an example of striving for the better, of helping our neighbour, of sweet speech and gentle manners, we may help even fanatics to change.

Of course, it may mean that the fanatic actually blows us away. That is the risk but the risk involved in deviating from the Path is so much greater.
  • edited August 2006
    I fear that the only way is to live the Dharma or the Gospel or whatever: keep the precepts, practise the Way. By setting an example of striving for the better, of helping our neighbour, of sweet speech and gentle manners, we may help even fanatics to change.

I like that -- leading by example. I suppose that's all anyone can really do, isn't it? And I wouldn't say that I fear practice is the only way...Rather, I'd say that I rejoice in the reality that it's the only way!
    edited August 2006
    I like that -- leading by example. I suppose that's all anyone can really do, isn't it? And I wouldn't say that I fear practice is the only way...Rather, I'd say that I rejoice in the reality that it's the only way!

Fear it, Rambling, fear it very much! It is a moment-by-moment challenge. There is no safety net. The fanatic appeals to their fanaticism for validation. Those of us who embrace an 'existential' approach are the only judge, jury and executioner of ourselves. And there will be times when it feels pretty cold in a world that puts price above value, property above humanity and power above compassion.
  • edited August 2006
    Oh, believe me, I know, and I apologize if I came across as naive. What I was trying to say is that it's a comforting thought to know that there is something we as individuals can do, that we are not simply floundering about in the darkness without direction. There is a road, and it is long and hard, but there is a road nonetheless.
    edited August 2006
    On that, Rambling, we agree.

I also find it comforting that there is not some sort of arbitrary 'judge' or rule-maker, particularly one as irrational and unreasonable as Yhwh.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    You flatter me too much Brigid - anyone can state facts. :)

I bet you're blushing!

No, not everyone can state facts, and not that well and not at the age of 16. You really found some important insight here, Ajani, that will serve you well for the rest of your life.

Of course, it may mean that the fanatic actually blows us away. That is the risk but the risk involved in deviating from the Path is so much greater.

I couldn't agree more, Simon. Beautifully said, too.
  • edited August 2006
    Fundamentalists scare me. At least the few I have heard and met. Fortunately I suppose, I live in a moderate Catholic area of the U.S. I could care less what they believe but when fundamentalism and politics mesh, I get worried. The Enlightenment ideals set by founding fathers (who by the way were deists opposed to religious governments) have been rather distorted by these folks. People actually think that a religious government is a good thing. Buddhist, Christian, Muslim or otherwise....it never is!
  • edited August 2006
    There are techniques in dealing with people or groups of people possessing particular stages of consciousness. Although I have not looked into it in a depth sense, Spiral Dynamics seems to hold some promise. There are also communication techniques that can help, such as IMAGO. :O)