Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sankhara=Control

I think the term sankhara means control/controller/controlling. It makes sense in the context of the aggregates and in its relation to karma. Consider the following translations with sankhara translated as "control".

All control is impermanent...
All control is stressful...
All phenomena are not-self...

Control is the supreme stress. Nirvana is the supreme peace.

And what is control? These three are control: bodily control, verbal control, mental control. This is called control.

Bhikkhus, why do they speak of control? Bhikkhus, this nature naturally controls controlled things, for this reason it is called "control". What does it control? It controls form...sensation...cognition...consciousness... Bhikkhus, this nature naturally controls controlled things, for this reason it is called "control."

This would make anapanasati steps 4 and 8 calming physical control and calming mental control, respectively. It sounds awfully familiar to Dogen's instruction that zazen "is not conscious endeavor (control)", and Tilopa's instructions to "stop controlling" the mind to allow it to rest. Once mental control is calmed, one can "experience the mind" properly, as in step 9.

Jeffreyblu3reeLucy_BegoodBeeHurst

Comments

• Awesome!
  • I am now under the impression that "work(s)" might be a better translation.

"All work(s) is(are) impermanent...
    All work is stressful...
    All phenomena are not-self."

"Work is the supreme stress..."

"And what is work? These three are work: bodily work, verbal work, mental work. This is called work."

"...This view monks, is a work."

BeeHurst
  • This of course, is not a call to simply abandon all forms of work. There is still the proper application of work as in Right Effort, Right Action, etc..

To paraphrase Ajahn Chah, there is the dukkha that leads to more dukkha, and the dukkha we engage in to put an end to dukkha.
    BeeHurst
  • edited March 2013
    Awakening said:

I think the term sankhara means control/controller/controlling. It makes sense in the context of the aggregates and in its relation to karma. Consider the following translations with sankhara translated as "control".

All control is impermanent...
    All control is stressful...
    All phenomena are not-self...

Control is the supreme stress. Nirvana is the supreme peace.

And what is control? These three are control: bodily control, verbal control, mental control. This is called control.

Bhikkhus, why do they speak of control? Bhikkhus, this nature naturally controls controlled things, for this reason it is called "control". What does it control? It controls form...sensation...cognition...consciousness... Bhikkhus, this nature naturally controls controlled things, for this reason it is called "control."

This would make anapanasati steps 4 and 8 calming physical control and calming mental control, respectively. It sounds awfully familiar to Dogen's instruction that zazen "is not conscious endeavor (control)", and Tilopa's instructions to "stop controlling" the mind to allow it to rest. Once mental control is calmed, one can "experience the mind" properly, as in step 9.

Hello there

I was intrigued to stumble upon your thread on the internet. Out of compassion, I wish to say something about Buddhism .

In Anatta-Lakana Sutta, Buddha teaching us each five aggregate is impermanent, cannot bring happiness and is not a self. The word sankhara in sentence you quote from Dhammapada say all things that have cause & effect: conditioned phenomena.

It is good for Buddhist to know Buddha have sankhara khandha. Many teaching in scripture say Buddha have five aggregates and when Buddha die what is dying or ending is five aggregates.

Also, Buddha have control. Buddhist path includes many kind of control, like the sense control. Dhammapada use the word "control" many times. For people that not practised in Buddha Path, they have sankhara khandha but they do not have control of life. They are controlled by defilement (kilesa). They cannot control kilesa. Sankhara khandha creates the kilesa in the common people. Buddha have enlightened sankhara khanda.

Meditation is used for control, not for giving up control. When the meditator can let go of attachment, this is way to control the suffering. In the Mindfulness of Breathing, Step 4, breathing is calmed. Calming breathing is for controlling breathing in a way to make the life peaceful.

I think to mix up Zen and Mahayana with Buddha scripture will cause the confusion. Buddha teach to gain control by letting go. Buddha teach to control the suffering by letting go. I think you not see that more letting go, the more control. I think your point of opinion that the Nirvana is Uncontrolled State is sounding confusing.

In Anatta-Lakana Sutta, Buddha teaching us each five aggregate cannot be controlled. If this understood, suffering can be controlled because the craving ending. When see five aggregate cannot be control, desire to control finishes. This is the control of Buddha.

My compassion for you.

• edited March 2013
    Awakening said:

I am now under the impression that "work(s)" might be a better translation.

"All work(s) is(are) impermanent...
    All work is stressful...
    All phenomena are not-self."

"Work is the supreme stress..."

"And what is work? These three are work: bodily work, verbal work, mental work. This is called work."

"...This view monks, is a work."

This more confuse. Work is not the stress. Buddhism have word "kammatana" for object of meditation or "object of work". "Bhavana" is the work in cultivating. Buddha spend his 45 life working in teaching the people, walking all part of India. Buddha have Right Livelihood or Right Work in Eightfold Path. Your point of opinion of bodily work, verbal work, mental work not sensible.

• edited March 2013
    Awakening said:

To paraphrase Ajahn Chah, there is the dukkha that leads to more dukkha, and the dukkha we engage in to put an end to dukkha.

Dukkha that end the dukkha is not the work. It is dukkha that is object of insight vipassana nana that show what is the dukkha. Buddha tell us in Dhammacakkapawattana Sutta dukkha to be comprehended. Like when put hand in a fire its learned fire burn painingly. This is dukkha that end the dukkha. When seeing the attachment burning the mind. Before you love the attachment. Later, with vipassana nana, you see the attachment make the suffering. This the dukkha that ending dukkha Luong Po Chah teaching us with him compassion.