Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Right wing, political, pro war Buddhist monks?????

What...ever!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2006
    Right wing, pro war.....faction, monks.... arrange these words into an unintelligible article, then sit back and be puzzled.....:nonono: :confused: :grumble:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2006
    Jeez, Boo! You and me!!:canflag: :ukflag:
  • edited August 2006
    are they serious? these really were buddhist monks......not ppl dressed as buddhist monks? I would think there has to be more to this story than what was reported.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Alas, my friends, stone-throwing monks are far from unknown! The supporters of the two Karmapas, for example, often get extremely violent with each other.

We may take refuge in the Noble Sangha and must still remember that the sangha-in-samsara will foul up as badly as any other construct.
    edited August 2006
    Words by a notable Sri Lankan:
    It was to help humanity that the Buddha founded the Order. He intended it to be a voluntary association of dedicated persons who would devote themselves to the task of making the process of wayfaring through life easier for such among their fellow beings as were weak, helpless and stricken.
    It is another matter that the order never quite became what it was meant to be. The Bhikkhus (homeless ones) very soon became Priests, living in temples built like palaces. Today the lazy and ceremonious Church, split into Nikayas based on caste divisions, maintains its place in society, not by tendering to the sick, the poor and the helpless but by placing a Messianic halo above the Buddha-myth, and by chanting faint Pali gathas to the cold, fruitless moon.
    J.R. Jayawardene, Sri Lanka's President 1977-1987, A Life of Service 1942
    edited August 2006
    I clipped the above quotation from a very interesting sociological essay:
    Buddhist Monks and Politics in Sri Lanka
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    federica wrote:
    Jeez, Boo! You and me!!:canflag: :ukflag:
    We must have been separated at birth or something. That's almost scary...:grin:
    edited August 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    We must have been separated at birth or something. That's almost scary...:grin:

Far scarier if you hadn't been!

*ducks and cowers*
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    LOL!