Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Trances & Shakra Meditation

I have two questions here really which are not linked or related.

Firstly as I have never had a teacher and have not mustered up the courage to go to a meditation class, I am still somewhat of a beginner when it comes to meditation, even after 4-5 years. When I meditate and hit the 20 minute mark I either get incredible pins and needles or I fall into these trances where my mind seems to stop totally and my head falls forward and I have to keep bringing it back up, what is this all about?

Secondly, I have an old friend who when we were in our teens generated a lot of negativity, even though we were having fun we were a very bad influence on each other. He has returned from rehab for the second time but this time he seems a lot different. At this rehab centre a woman taught him shakra meditation and he says it has helped him with his addiction along with other things. Does Buddhism say anything about this type of meditation? It seems kind hindu-ish to me :/

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Kinda.
  • Citta said:

Kinda.

:wtf:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I think you mean " Chakras ".
    Which feature to some degree in some forms of Vajrayana.
    But not to any degree in Zen and not at all in the Theravada.
  • yes yes, my bad, Chakra meditation.
  • I think it's fair to say that Shakyamuni Buddha (historical Buddha) knew of all methods like this and that any meditation practice is good to explore.

The really important thing is that your friend has been helped by this meditation and has given up some negativities -- which is the greatest result that any kind of meditation can have!

We practice in order to give up our addictions to our petty ideas, our anger and aggression, our fixations, attachments, clinging to any notion of ourselves as being more important than anything else in the universe.

Bodhicitta means.... working for the well-being and happiness of all sentient beings, who are all more precious to us than our own limited selves.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

I have two questions here really which are not linked or related.

Firstly as I have never had a teacher and have not mustered up the courage to go to a meditation class, I am still somewhat of a beginner when it comes to meditation, even after 4-5 years. When I meditate and hit the 20 minute mark I either get incredible pins and needles or I fall into these trances where my mind seems to stop totally and my head falls forward and I have to keep bringing it back up, what is this all about?

What kind of meditation do you do? Pretty much so long as it's not zazen, I'd say that you could note the sensations of your legs falling asleep, until the sensation goes away (meaning it's no longer taking up your attention). At least in my experience, the mental discomfort is way worse than the physical discomfort. Also, you may need to experiment with different sitting positions.

As for the "trances," it sounds almost like "zoning out" to me! :lol:
    I'm sorry if that sounded judgmental, but perhaps you need to elaborate on why you specifically used the word "trance?"

I sometimes get the "empty mind" feeling too, but now I've learned that when I snap out of it, I just make a mental note of it and keep sitting as usual.
    Secondly, I have an old friend who when we were in our teens generated a lot of negativity, even though we were having fun we were a very bad influence on each other. He has returned from rehab for the second time but this time he seems a lot different. At this rehab centre a woman taught him shakra meditation and he says it has helped him with his addiction along with other things. Does Buddhism say anything about this type of meditation? It seems kind hindu-ish to me :/
    I did a few sits with a New Kadampa nun, and we did a few chakra/visualization meditations. It really didn't work for me, but all the people who were into yoga really loved it.

Like @Citta said, in Buddhism it's almost entirely a Vajrayana thing.

You could try it - it may work for you. But it's very different.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    And it need a teacher if its going to be attempted at all I would strongly suggest..
    Invincible_summer
  • @Invincible_summer thanks for the information, the trances were almost as if I was losing consciousness and falling asleep, but not actually asleep. I felt a weird headspace I have felt before whilst intoxicated and I had to keep bring my head back up as it was drooping and literally falling. After considering it a little more I was probably tired at the time and getting sleepy, I don't know though as it was a rather good meditation session for me on the whole.

I don't plan on trying chakra meditation, I was curious to know if it had any roots in Buddhism. I am pleased for my friend as he really was in a bad place drug wise and emotionally speaking, he seems like a born again Christian or something now though lol, trying to give me advice on how I should change my life etc.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @ThailandTom - It's interesting that you mention the "sleep but not asleep" thing. My Zen group leader sometimes mentions a similar state that sometimes befalls people on Zen retreats. He says that it's nothing to really worry too much about - perhaps it's just something the mind/body "needs to do" at that time due to not being able to rest or something like that. And not "rest" in the "I need to sleep" sense, but more in the sense that it could be fatigued from the intense focus during meditation.

But this is all hearsay so I don't know for sure what's going on with you! I guess so long as it doesn't cause any problems, just go with the flow.
  • @ThailandTom - It's interesting that you mention the "sleep but not asleep" thing. My Zen group leader sometimes mentions a similar state that sometimes befalls people on Zen retreats. He says that it's nothing to really worry too much about - perhaps it's just something the mind/body "needs to do" at that time due to not being able to rest or something like that. And not "rest" in the "I need to sleep" sense, but more in the sense that it could be fatigued from the intense focus during meditation.

But this is all hearsay so I don't know for sure what's going on with you! I guess so long as it doesn't cause any problems, just go with the flow.

Thanks for the reply, I do get the trances when I seem to have a more positive sitting, which is rare, so that could be related to what your zen group leader mentioned. I don't know much about zen Buddhism as it is the one school I seem to use the least as a means of practice and studying for some reason.