Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where does the term...

edited August 2006 in Buddhism Basics
"yoga" come from? Is it a variation of the Hindu yogi? I didn't know where to put this question either so sorry if it's in the wrong category. Someone asked me this today and I had no answer really and it started me thinking about it. I could probably find the answer on google or something but figured I'd ask here first.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2006
    Yoga means "Union" and refers to the practises of combining Mind Body and Spirit.....
    This is why Yoga - as a practise - works and is effective on the states of well-being, be they physical, Mental or Spiritual. A Yogi is one who understands these concepts, a master of Union..... So I understand.....
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Same Indo-European word as "yoke".
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    *laughing*

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Not to be confused with "joke"!