Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where do I begin ?.....

edited September 2006 in Faith & Religion
The conflicts in the world have rested heavily on my heart these past few weeks.
I feel my governments response has been very weak, and full of selfish motives. Today as I sat, with my intention grounded in finding harmony, a thought arose and has given me a new insight, or maybe it's just a realization that floated to the surface.

" Violence ends when awareness sees awareness, rather then seeing other."

May this find you well.

In Gassho
Steve

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    We have so many teachings about a subject or action that continue to plague us:
    All tremble at violence; all fear death. Putting oneself in the place of another, one should not kill nor cause another to kill.

All tremble at violence; life is dear to all. Putting oneself in the place of another, one should not kill nor cause another to kill.
    A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
    For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
    With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love
    Who hateth nought Of all which lives, living himself being, Compassionate, from arrogance exempt, Exempt from love of self, unchangeable By good or ill; patient, contended, firm In faith, mastering himself, true to his word, Seeking Me, heart and soul; vowed unto Me, That man I love! Who troubleth not his kind, And is not troubled by them; clear of wrath, Living too high for gladness, grief, or fear, That man I love! Who, dwelling quiet-eyed,1 Stainless, serene, well-balanced, unperplexed, Working with Me, yet from all works detached, That man I love! Who, fixed in faith on Me, Dotes upon none, scorns none; rejoices not, And grieves not, letting good and evil hap Light when it will, and when it will depart, That man I love! Who, unto friend and foe Keeping an equal heart, with equal mind Bears shame and glory, with an equal peace Takes heat and cold, pleasure and pain; abides Quit of desires, hears praise or calumny In passionless restraint, unmoved by each, Linked by no ties to earth, steadfast in Me, That man I love! But most of all I love Those happy ones to whom 'tis life to live In single fervid faith and love unseeing, Eating the blessed Amrit of my Being!

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    I'm not only referring to the human tragedy that never ceasing, but the enviromental desvastation with over- development here, and the closing of 18 state parks. Working on creating a non-profit non-partisan land preservation conservancy.

Focus- one: to raise funds to re-open state parks and be a liason for connecting with construction companies for "volenteered" maintainance of state parks in exchange for tax deductions, and buy and preserve as much property as possible.

two: offer full line of " get off the grid " solar, wind, and grey water products for the average person, as well as, the larger business campus'.

Three: provide educational resources that are easy to assimilate and are non-patisan regarding environmental concerns.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited August 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    We have so many teachings about a subject or action that continue to plague us:

-bf

Hey BF i've got some wisdom for you,

"cat who sits with fruit skin on head, is not necessarily a sour-pus":)
  • edited August 2006
    i can't wait to see whats happens when the oil runs out.. oooh 10 years most likely..

"rations 4 yer car me boyo, america cannie use tis militry, oh dearie me.. everyone has local jobsys.. an tae middel eastern coountries, aye tae became mae powerful tha been fer a leng time"

maybe the time for china's awakening?
    edited August 2006
    Hmmm...

When the oil runs out - I would think that when the Middle East runs out of oil - they're going to lose some bargaining power and people aren't going to be so acceptable of them. Dubai is already planning on running out of oil. They have been transforming their country into a resort knowing that the oil they are pumping will run out before 2020.

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    i can't wait to see whats happens when the oil runs out.. oooh 10 years most likely..

"rations 4 yer car me boyo, america cannie use tis militry, oh dearie me.. everyone has local jobsys.. an tae middel eastern coountries, aye tae became mae powerful tha been fer a leng time"

maybe the time for china's awakening?

No more luxury cars for China from what I've been reading. Plus, they are the leader next to Japan at using solar power. News is toyota's new rapid charge batteries due out next year should help the Prius squeek out 120 mpg.

Oil's half production is predicted for 2015 or so.

Plus you might want to look at Tesla Motors-electric cars or ZAP! ( zero air pollution ).
    http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

There is hope
    edited August 2006
    Iawa wrote:
    No more luxury cars for China from what I've been reading. Plus, they are the leader next to Japan at using solar power. News is toyota's new rapid charge batteries due out next year should help the Prius squeek out 120 mpg.

Oil's half production is predicted for 2015 or so.

2015 - Wow... that is amazing.

We've been hearing about it for years and yet we keep (and have kept) using this resource like there was no tomorrow.

It could be a different world in the next 10 years... What is the world going to do when there is no more auto fuel? Airline fuel? Ship fuel? Even when vehicles reach 120 mpg - it has still become a precious commodity. Yet another step between the "haves" and the "have nots"?

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    The only difference bf is then we are going to be force to pay for shale extraction which will be feesible when oill hits 100 dollars a barrel. No worries, for now anyways. I just wish the US would start tapping the Methane from dumps like Mexico is doing, they've managed to actually make a profit at it.
    edited August 2006
    Methane is Mexico?

That is interesting too. Obviously, I'm a capilalistic pig because I don't know about many of these things.

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    as soon as the oil is low.. middle east and rest of nations with oil will make a killing, america's economy and europes will drop considerably in my opinion..

The results could turn into riots and a bit of anarchy, will certainly be an interesting time to live in, but most likely much worse. Fruit rises in price.. food becomes more scarce.. farmers will make a killing, and more land could be turned into farmland, ppl become more self sufficient..

oh the possibilities
  • edited August 2006
    remember there will always be suffering.

Remember the lesson the French taught the world about not taking care of the rabble awhile back?
  • edited August 2006
    I had no idea that 15 national parks were due for closure in the States. I have visited many times and the US has some of the most outstandingly beautiful places anywhere in the world. Unfortuantly no President will ever get elected if he or she doesn't get the large industry bosses support, therefore CO2 emmisions will continue to be at alarming levels( approx 25% I believe). India and China are the other big producers, their attitude is why should we cut our emmisions and US industry is reluctant to absorb potentially huge costs in reducing theirs.

The whole subject matter of enviromental issues is complex because ultimately it means giving something up, something that is a "Hard sell" to a public who live for today and not tomorrow. Clearly it requires leadership and vision, sadly this appears to be missing in many of the worlds leaders. BF made a good point Dubai has realised that the oil is running out, their leader has shown great forward thinking. Canada is sat on millions of barrels of oil, however the idea of tearing up the landscape is sad. I know Buddhism is about living in the NOW, well NOW would be a good idea to start planning.....Any ideas:confused:
    edited August 2006
    No ideas... even when I'm driving to work in the mornings and thinking, "Damn... in 20 years, this could be a completely different view on the freeways." I can't help but wonder where we will be and what we will have left behind for our children's children.

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    Abraham wrote:
    I had no idea that 15 national parks were due for closure in the States.

Just in the state of Texas alone, and this issue cannot stand uncahallenged.
  • edited August 2006
    yea but its up to bushy boy.. i mean politics is all about lieing.. all he has to do is stand against it .. after all hes in power now

why don't he do the classic. im for it. when needing votes, im now against it now i don't need votes.
  • edited August 2006
    Did any of you read yesterday that Bush gave permission for logging to be done in the Sequoia National Forest. Our largest and oldest trees are in that park..... They were going to log under the rouse of forest fire prevention.
    Environmentalist took it before a Federal Judge and he ruled against it and got it stopped. Thank goodness.

As for possibly having to become more self sufficient. I have done a lot of research on this along with other ppl I know and I do honestly believe the time is coming. I think this is the time that ppl need to learn how to garden and raise vegetables, plant fruit trees learn how to can fruits,vegetables and meat. Start buying or saving for solar panels etc.... Do I think we need to panic. No, but we do need to learn how to take care of our selves. Will all this happen in our life time......Some of us no and some of us very possibly but if nothing else, it will happen in probably our children's life time and if we don't know how to do these things then they won't know how. It is our job to teach them how to be self sufficient in case they need to become so. If we don't teach them then who will? Canning fruits and vegetables is almost a lost art already. It will be in the next 5-10 years if we don't start learning how to do it and then teach our children how.

Well, it is something to think about anyway........

Deb
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I can't understand why people are surprised that, having laid waste to 'foreign' countries, we should now turn our attention to reducing our own to deserts. After all, that is the administrations' definition of 'peace' (see Tacitus).
  • edited September 2006
    Yes, but the majority of the Republicans are shifting postion, and have rejected paying for additional roads to remote locations. This action in itself makes the notion cost prohibitive.

Personally, I think it's funny that this is done under the guise of preventing forrest fires. Anyone can tell you that it takes the high temperatures of a fire to open the Sequoia seed pods.