Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you do?

edited August 2006 in Buddhism Basics
What do you do each day to help you stay mindful? As in, there is a monk in Los Angeles named Kusala Bhikshu ( from UrbanDharma.org ). When he was named by his teacher he was called Kusala which means skillful, this was a reminder everytime someone called him by this name to remain skillful each day. Without being named by a teacher what way to you help remind yourself to stay along the middle path?

Besides the obvious reasons to be following the path of course. :tonguec:

ps. I asked this question on another forum as well.

Comments

• edited August 2006
    This is an excellent topic, in my opinion. I tried to think of what serves me as a reminder, but I found that I really don't have one, and that I could probably really use one. I'm thinking about using a bracelet that I'll be getting soon -- it's just a matter of choosing an object that's always with you and giving it a certain meaning, deciding to make it a symbol. Another suggestion that I've come across is using a deck of meditation cards by choosing one to carry around with you throughout the day, in your pocket, I guess. I imagine that in a monastery there are countless and constant reminders to be mindful; us laypeople have to work a bit harder, I suppose.
  • edited August 2006
    I bought a "hum" necklace at a Tibetan shop back home, but don't like to wear it to work. Or else it would be my reminder, it helps on my days off.
  • edited August 2006
    Perhaps you could pick a common sound or sight: the ringing of a telephone can be a bell of mindfulness, or a red light could bring you back to the present moment while you're driving.
  • edited August 2006
    good ideas!
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited August 2006
    When I have a moment of clarity that spontaneously arises throughout the day, I pay attention to the tension in my body and check in with my breathing. Many times, I find this helps me be more aware, more mindful of my daily situation.
  • edited August 2006
    Lucky me...I have enough aches and pains at my age to remind me to be mindful.

'Pain is your friend...it let's you know you aren't dead yet.' (G.I. Jane) LOL!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2006
    One of the things that I have done is to have some order in my mornings. After years of "meaning to meditate in the morning", I have finally acquired the habit. (It was/is really easy in community where everyone is doing it!) Among the blessings of an ageing prostate is the need to get up early. Add to that a lighter sleep than hitherto and early mornings are less of a problem. But what I have found is that I have also let go of worrying about the time or, even, the content of the practice. On those mornings that I do sleep until it is time to rouse others and begin the busy-ness of the day, mindful brushing of the teeth and washing, contemplative dressing and focused descending to the kitchen are more than adequate to centre and ground me in the Now and the silence behind the noise.

Additionally, I would willingly admit to you all that an early morning visit to New Busshist is another daily habit. I always find something here which can spark a theme for 'discursive meditation'.

I do carry a mala which is a good reminder during the day, although I carry it in my pocket rather than wound round my wrist when I am out in town: it seems a bit showy. At home, however, it is usually there.

One corner of my desk is a small shrine whose contents vary from time to time.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I carry a small mala. Although, I'm not really into icons, it's a reminder for me.

In my office, I have some plants, a small pagoda and two statues of Buddha. No matter which way I turn - I have small reminders about me before I head out the door to engage in another bout of Wrong Speech.

I think it works. Reminders are a good thing.

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    I also have a small Mala and I find it very helpful as a reminder. Like Simon I also carry it in my pocket at work to stop it getting grubby etc.
  • edited August 2006
    maybe when I move back home I will see if this shop has any mala bracelets, I think I saw some when I got my necklace. Thanks for the answers everyone!...
  • edited August 2006
    I find that returning back to my breat always centers me on the moment. Like Thich Naht Hanh said, "Breathing in...I know I am breathing in. Breathing out...I smile."