Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Not sure if anyone is/was interested...

edited September 2006 in General Banter
...but I thought I'd share anyway. As many of you may or may not know I am in a "death" metal band. Typically themes of the songs are about horror, like mini scary movies kind of. I like to touch on real things though. I just spoke with my drummer and while I was away he and the band wrote 12 songs. My first thought was, Holy crap I have my work cut out for me. And than some ideas came... one was this... After watching Kundun and experiencing the "sky burial" scene I thought it would be a great idea for a song. What do you all think?? The other guys aren't religious at all, and I'm not going to make it a "buddhist" song but I thought the topic would be interesting enough to write about.

Comments

• MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    ::

Care to share some lyrics from your band's songs?

• edited August 2006
    umm not really sure if I want to share most of them, some are morally disgusting. Even though they are written in a story like form most people seem to think they are rather extreme. I'll try to remember a tame one...
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    ...I'll try to remember a tame one...

Don't be like that! Give us an example of a typical death-metal lyric - we can handle it.

I'm actually curious about this genre. My musical tastes cross almost every boundary - I have both Burt Bacharach and Marilyn Manson in my CD collection.

• edited August 2006
    You can always send it in a private message. As long as you feel no dissonence within yourself over the lyrics use whatever you care to. We need to keep recreating the myths for our times.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited August 2006
    if you only knew what I listened to....

I think we can probably handle it. This isn't a christian board :p
  • edited August 2006
    Alright, here is one. But let me explain the reason behind why it was written. I wrote the lyrics shortly after Catholic Priests in Boston started getting charged with pedophilia and other immoral acts against children. It really burnt a fire beneath me that people could trust priests so much with the children and that person could violate the trust they were given and the children. The song is written from a priests perspective, I also wrote a second part to it that is from a 12 year old boys perspective on the same situation. Let me know what you think...

"Sodomy (Pedophile In You)"

You think you're kids are safe,
    when you go to church,
    while you confess your sins,
    your children are all mine,
    take them to the pulpit,
    controlling innocence,
    can you hear god calling,
    behind your childrens screams,

join me in my conquest,
    and you'll only want more,
    with just my few words,
    your minds are mine,

the contribution is final,
    as for this evangelistic temptation,
    I will go on and on,
    manipulating the masses,

pedophile,
    hear my holy sermon,
    pedophile,
    infect your simple minds,
    pedophile,
    succumb with disease,
    pedophile,
    look into my eyes. (chorus repeat 2x)
  • edited August 2006
    and here is the second part...

"Breeding Salvation"

Behind me,
    I can see,
    the cross upon the wall,
    sanctity,
    misery,
    my innocence lost,
    it scares me,
    when you touch me,
    you say it's ok,
    it hurts me,
    when you rape me,
    please tell me your done,

kicking,
    screaming,
    I see the bleeding,
    redemption,
    humiliation,
    lie to me again,

stemmed from you falisies,
    hypocrites breeding salvation,

this time you'll suffer,
    for what you've done,
    I'm giving back the pain,

stemmed from you falisies,
    hypocrites breeding salvation,

cold blooded murder,
    is your sentence,
    for your deeds have been done,
    god I hate you,
    no longer fear you,
    your promises are meaningless.

Like i said before, this is the second part to the first song I listed. You can hear this one at myspace if you want http://www.myspace.com/leukorrhea
  • edited August 2006
    I'm going to try and start the new song about sky burial tonight. Anyone know a good site I can do a little more research on it?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Looking for Answers...

This "death metal" topic has always fascinated me. I have to say, there are two kinds of music I cannot listen to - Country and Western (just out of principle) and Opera - cuz I don't get it. Being monolingual - I just don't know what the hell is going on.

But - Death Metal is close to falling on that list. I can appreciate the musicianship of Death Metal - all those minors, scathing arpeggios, the speedy riffs that mow through the entire song - but the lyrics! I just don't get it. Is the purpose of Death Metal just to invoke dark images to counteract the crap put out by Leo Sayer? Is it just an artform of dark imagery? Or is there something deeper rooted in these lyrics?

Talk to me man!

-bf

P.S. I know you've heard some of my stuff which should probably be on Barney or Sesame Street - so you know I'm not ripping on you - just asking questions.
  • edited August 2006
    I actually like lyrics like those. Because some lyrics can be so taboo, because they tell a perspective that is politically incorrect, because they are not so cliché, because they cause controversy... I feel like that makes people (myself included) think about things in new, different ways. Sometimes a song can do that in ways that self-help, philosophical, and religious books can't. Controversy is thought-provoking. And I think it is very Buddhist to expose oneself to though-provoking material.
  • edited August 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Looking for Answers...

I just don't get it. Is the purpose of Death Metal just to invoke dark images to counteract the crap put out by Leo Sayer? Is it just an artform of dark imagery? Or is there something deeper rooted in these lyrics?

Talk to me man!

Honestly it depends on the individual group I guess BF. Some bands in the death metal genre do it to shock people, others have political, religious reasons and stories, or what have you. A few of my band's songs are a bit over the top with shock, but it mainly is to try to grab the attention of others to listen to our stuff. I think after our first disc we went for less of the shock value and more towards lyrics that meant something. The two songs I posted meant something to me, it angered me to see what was happening not only to current victims but the fact that so many more were finally standing up. It took great courage for them and this was a little bit of a release for me to write. I was not a victim, just felt like writing the song. Other songs of ours have to deal with the Iraq war, more anti-church songs (a few of the guys in the band have different religious beliefs so some songs are their expressions), I've written a song about friends that I've known and their issues with drugs and addiction, etc...

There are actually alot of bands that have "decent" meanings to their music and they try to have a positive image. While some take it to extremes and gross people out with their messages it is all meant to get a point across. One band in particular, Cattle Decapitation, is a vegan metal band and all their lyrics pretty much show that. Their videos are PETA propaganda videos mixed with them performing live. There are other bands that take the whole horror thing to a new level, like Mortician, who use horror movie audio clips before each song and then the song following the clip lyrically was about the movie the clip was taken from.

There are other genres of metal as well that delve into other topics. Like Black Metal for instance (not black as in racial overtones but dark, evil metal). Black Metal was pretty much started in Norway by satanic/ political characters. Being from a cold place the music is very "grim" and raw. It is full of very dark, anti-Christian themes, etc...

I'm starting to babble now I think... any of this making sense??

And honestly man, I love all types of music. From bands like Genesis, Yes, The Cure, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Eric Clapton, Sanctuary, old Metallica, Slayer, Suffocation, Breaking Benjamin, Creed, The Police, Sting, Beethoven, Mozart, In Flames, Dave Matthews Band, Santana, Peter Gabriel and tons of other bands of various genres.

But I agree man, I cannot choke down country or opera.... maybe I don't understand them either....
  • edited August 2006
    I actually like lyrics like those. Because some lyrics can be so taboo, because they tell a perspective that is politically incorrect, because they are not so cliché, because they cause controversy... I feel like that makes people (myself included) think about things in new, different ways. Sometimes a song can do that in ways that self-help, philosophical, and religious books can't. Controversy is thought-provoking. And I think it is very Buddhist to expose oneself to though-provoking material.

"Controversy is thought-provoking."

That is awesome and basically sums it all up for me. When I try to write somehting that is definitely a controversial topic it is done for that reason, to provoke thought and get attention to the subject manner in a way others might not. And writing sometimes is definetly therapeutic for me!!!
  • edited August 2006
    i will add my two cents..
    my first impression of your lyrics ..looking for answers.. was, its a sign of the times.
    your emotions are upfront, being real, yelling to the world how it is.. because not everyone really
    listens sometimes unless its loud and in their face.
    i have two teenagers who share their thoughts with me daily.. they want me to hear
    their music, they want me to know where their heads are at. this is very personal.. im a
    very down to earth mother, my kids are well balanced, focused, have directions, and have respectful friends, etc.etc... not to veer off of your music.. but my point is
    i came home the other night and my son was rolling a joint.. and he wanted me to see.
    i wont elaborate on these actions.. but what im tryin to say is.. kids are telling it like it is.
    and so is your music.
    this generation is trying to connect with " them".. they are trying to close the gap of
    ( us and them ).. no they arent perfect. yet........

maybe some shock in your music is needed to wake us up.
    i dont no.. im just putting my perspective out there... its nice to see guys hug.
    its great to hear the music has expanded, its reachable to all.

geesh.. generations ago.. elvis was condemed for shakin his stuff.. what the heck is
    that all about.. we never told our parents anything because of fear..
    i say hats off to this generation..
    keep waking us up.. cas im listening..
    edited August 2006
    LKA

A very thought provoking response. I do think it is very cool that you put that much time, thought and effort into your lyrics. I've tried to write lyrics outisde of what is "me" (let's not get into self just at this time, okay?) and haven't been happy with the results as of yet.

It's kind of funny - Death Metal creates a front that really puts people off. Scares them, makes them doubt their faith, doubt their religion, brings out their insecurities, etc. - yet with an explanation like this - maybe they don't know what they're missing if they would just take the time to listen.

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    bf.. do you not think it is an issue of not right or wrong.. just where someone is at
    just where someone is a point in their life?
    is this music not about wanting to be heard?? thats what i get out of it.
    if it puts people off.. well geesh.. maybe they should check in with themselves, their religion..
    maybe like i said.. i dont see it as good/bad.. right or wrong.. it just is.
    another venue for this generation. maybe its a clearing for them to reach another
    stage in thier live.. and with all the caous in this world i can almost see that this is
    just part of the path for this generation.
    and no my kids dont listen to it.
  • edited August 2006
    ps..
    im figuring this topic is not of death metal music. but rather issues of human behaviour,stages in ones live, compassion to feel where peoples thoughts and
    energies are, observing a time in our lives, a growing.. i could go on and on.
    and yes its part of buddhism.. an exceptance of all.
  • edited August 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    LKA

It's kind of funny - Death Metal creates a front that really puts people off. Scares them, makes them doubt their faith, doubt their religion, brings out their insecurities, etc. - yet with an explanation like this - maybe they don't know what they're missing if they would just take the time to listen.

-bf

BF,

some bands put up the front and there is actual meaning to what they do. But there are definitely bands out there that fit the mold of just trying to offend and out raunch the next band. Those kids of bands are just in it for the fun and like I said are just trying to gross people out with songs about very unnecessary topics (mutilation, feces, vomit, etc). I think that's why most people don't understand "death metal", because of the bands that aren't as serious about what they do. Hell, I'll admit our first CD was to shock people, but now that we've got their attention we can focus on doing what we want to do and not sounding like the thousands of other abnds out there.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited August 2006
    You don't like opera?! WHYYYYY :eek2:

Oh jeez, I *totally* missed the point - so anyway. I like some death metal - I can only take it in small doses, though. ^^;
    I like your group's music from the Myspace site. Good job! :thumbsup:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I love opera!!! I don't know what I would do without it. Amongst all the crap of my childhood there were some bright, shining moments, like the night my father brought me to see The Magic Flute. I was hugely into Mozart at the time and had never heard his music live and I actually started to cry when I heard the first few notes. What an experience!! It was beautiful, breathtaking, hilarious!! Then my dad brought me to his club for dinner and a screening of "Amadeus" on another night. I can't remember the chronological order but I remember I wore the same dress both nights; my favourite blue silk dress in the style of the 20's, lots of pleats, the top came down long over the skirt. I loved that dress.

Now we listen to various selections of operas in the car whenever we go into town and my father always cries a little bit. He says it's because of gratitude and other things.....
    La Boheme is my parents' favourite. I love that one, too. Opera is one the most powerful art forms ever created.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited August 2006
    BF,

some bands put up the front and there is actual meaning to what they do. But there are definitely bands out there that fit the mold of just trying to offend and out raunch the next band. Those kids of bands are just in it for the fun and like I said are just trying to gross people out with songs about very unnecessary topics (mutilation, feces, vomit, etc). I think that's why most people don't understand "death metal", because of the bands that aren't as serious about what they do. Hell, I'll admit our first CD was to shock people, but now that we've got their attention we can focus on doing what we want to do and not sounding like the thousands of other abnds out there.

mmm. i do think that that there is a great sense of "not judging a book by the cover" with some music.

A while ago (about 20 years actually) my ex-gf said I need to listen to this Punk band called Crass.

It was a high speed version of "typical" punk sound-I thought it sounded like sh*t. Then she told me listen to what they're singing about. All of a sudden I realised it was about saving the earth, saving animals used for research-caring for the environment etc. etc. It made me think about how I jump to conclusions too often. I am now a convert.:rocker:

so maybe I just might like some death-metal...:rockon:

cheers.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2006

Some of my favorite albums are ones that I didn't like at first..

::.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    To answer your original question, LFA, here are a couple of sites you might want to look at for more info about sky burial:

http://www.ciolek.com/WWWVLPages/TibPages/tib-burial.html

http://www.tibet.ca/en/wtnarchive/1999/7/14_1.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/sky-burial

Though personally the Western way of disposing of dead bodies is far more horrifying than this clean, natural way of doing it!

Palzang
  • edited September 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    To answer your original question, LFA, here are a couple of sites you might want to look at for more info about sky burial:

http://www.ciolek.com/WWWVLPages/TibPages/tib-burial.html

http://www.tibet.ca/en/wtnarchive/1999/7/14_1.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/sky-burial

Though personally the Western way of disposing of dead bodies is far more horrifying than this clean, natural way of doing it!

Palzang

Thanks for the links Palzang. The sites are quite informative and give someone like myself a different outlook on sky burial. I'm still writing the song though!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    That's cool. I just think, from my admittedly strange point of view, that the American Way of Death is so bizarre that I would never allow one of those funeral director freaks to touch my dead body, not over my dead body! The Tibetan way seems so much nicer. What better way to dispose of dead flesh than to feed other living beings?

Palzang
  • edited September 2006
    I'd rather be burned then pumped full of formaldahyde. I like the practice of the decay and scatter system myself.
    edited September 2006
    I think I'm going with cremation. As long as it doesn't turn out like it did for Donny with Walter and the Dude from the Big Lebowski...

Maybe I've been watching too many episodes of Six Feet Under.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2006
    *cough cough cough!* I can't see - !

What do I tell the dry-cleaners - ?!?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I'm not sure how to respond to a statement like "I don't like opera". It's like saying "I don't like music" or "I don't like singing". If you mean that you don't like grand opera, I can understand (somewhat) but opera as a genre covers so many different types of music and drama. This summer, I went to the Minack Theatre to a performance of Britten's orchestration of Gay's Beggar's Opera. Few things could be further from Tosca or The Ring, using, as it does, ballad music of the 18th century. And what about oratorio, a form of concert-performance opera?

Mozart's operas were deeply subversive of the status quo and got him into serious trouble. Just listen to The Marriage of Figaro, or listen to the strange spirituality of The Magic Flute. Modern opera, like Lulu or Brecht/Weill, challenges the comfortable even more than did punk music.

Of course, it may be that those who do not like opera have never yet had the chance to see and hear consummate performers like the divine Callas (whom I saw a few times) or Christoff (ditto).

Interesting that, in the comments about music, no one has mentioned ballet and the dance generally.
    edited September 2006
    Hi Simon.

I'm one of those that say, "I don't like opera."

I've done it for quite awhile. It makes perfect sense to me. There are some operas where I like a little of the music or I like a certain phrase during a choral - but overall, I don't like opera.
    While I say that, I do like singing and I do like other forms of music. In fact, I write music, play in a band and sing. I do all of these things with music and don't have any problems not liking opera. I can't understand it, I don't appreciate the majority of the singing styles used in opera, don't understand 99.9% of what is being stated or told - and it seems to work just fine for me.

I do like Celtic, Latin, Afro-Carribean, African, Bluegrass, all styles of Rock, Pop, Breton, Balkan, Scottish mouth music, tribal - all sorts of music.

So, my friend, I don't know what to tell you. :(

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    My point, dear BF, is that opera is so diverese that a blanket "I don't like" appears strange to me. Do you include modern operas like Porgy and Bess? or musicals like West Side Story, which is, to my mind, an opera as well?
    edited September 2006
    Ummm...

I would have to agree with you. Newer "musicals" probably have their basis in the more traditional "opera"... the telling of a story.

But once I say that, I have to also say that I'm not really a big "musical" person. While I can enjoy portions of the music in various musical, I typically find the stories boring. I have heard some remakes done of songs found in musicals that I enjoy.

I'm weird, huh? No. That's okay... you can say it, because I totally agree.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    When I say I don't like opera I am referring to traditional operas like Verdi or Wagner. Just doesn't appeal to me in the least little bit. I do, strangely, really like the music from some operas, Wagner especially (The Ride of the Valkyries in Apocalypse Now - WOW!). So it's not the music particularly. Mostly it's just the stories and the way they're told, which is very 19th Century for the most part. I don't watch operas for the same reason I don't watch 19th Century melodramas. They just haven't aged well and are hopelessly passe. Might have spoken to an audience 200 years ago, but not now. Except for those pretentious nabobs who go to the opera and pretend to like it for their snob appeal (not you, Simon). imho

Palzang
    edited September 2006
    No... I think you've got a point there, Pal.

I can totally see Simon dressed up in tails, a cape, fancy top hat and a cane heading throug the streets of London on his way to the opera.

Smashing, Simon. Absolutely smashing!

-bf

BTW - I love the jaudpurs...
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2006

My favorite of the classics is Bohemian Rhapsody from A Night at the Opera.

edited September 2006
    Now yer talkin'.

Although, I love just about every tune on that album. Starting with Death On Two Legs.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    No... I think you've got a point there, Pal.

I can totally see Simon dressed up in tails, a cape, fancy top hat and a cane heading throug the streets of London on his way to the opera.

Smashing, Simon. Absolutely smashing!

-bf

BTW - I love the jaudpurs...

By George, I think you've got it! BTW, it's "jodphurs". From Inja, ya know...

Pzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Well, anyone who doesn't like opera is obviously a musical ignoramus and furthermore.....

Just kidding!!

I really started to like opera at the same time that I developed an appreciation for good scotch... and bad men....

Hah! Got you again!! Just kidding! About the men...

Ahhhh! Porgy and Bess! "Summertime....and the living is easy...." Did you know that George Gershwin's hand could stretch two octaves on the piano? I once heard a story that he wanted to become a concert pianist so badly when he was young that he over exercised and over stretched his hands so badly that he damaged them irreparably and had to give up his dream of becoming a concert pianist and settle for writing music instead. It's probably bull, but it makes a good story.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited September 2006
    sure it was "just over exercising" that caused this "problem" with his hand???
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    sure it was "just over exercising" that caused this "problem" with his hand???

Hey, I think the circumcision thread is leaking over onto other ones!

Palzang

'scuse the pun...