Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bye Bye Pluto...

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited August 2006 in General Banter
Wah!!! Pluto is gone now!!! Now where'd Mickey live??? :p

I kinda think that it's kind of mundane (even in astronomy) to define a "planet"... Do planets and non-planets alike not have mass, atmosphere (some without) etc. etc. and all that differs is their size relative to our human scope?

"Size matters not." said the great Yoda. :p Hmmm... So what if it's small? Given an earthly atmosphere couldn't it support life too?

Anyone wanna convince me wrong? :p

Comments

• edited August 2006
    'A rose by any other name...'

'sound and fury...signifying nothing'

'meddle not in the affairs of kings...'

;) It is still there, despite the change in classification. Now, what I want to know, is this all really just a plot to 'own' bits of the solar system for future mining rights?
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    ::

That's the problem with language and conceptual thinking.

::
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    It's funny in a way...

Our new definitions have done nothing in changing Pluto's mass, rotation, atmosphere, chemical make-up, etc.

It is as it's always been - regardless of what we think it is.

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    This is random, I know, but I just thought of that scene in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers where Treebeard turns to tell Merry and Pippin that, after hours of discussion, the Entmoot has decided that the hobbits are not orcs.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited August 2006
    In my understanding, this whole thing is a load of poop, and the new definition won't stick. Here's a thread over on E-Sangha on this subject.

http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=34988

_/\_
    metta
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    This is random, I know, but I just thought of that scene in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers where Treebeard turns to tell Merry and Pippin that, after hours of discussion, the Entmoot has decided that the hobbits are not orcs.

LMAO!!!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Exactly! If you say Pluto to an astronomer, the first thing he would just tell you is its mass, surface etc. etc. Planet Pluto? Of course he would know it - but it won't really be that important to our purposes isn't it?

"Hey guess what people? We are sending a probe to Pluto." says NASA.
    "AAAAAIYYYYEEEEEE!!!!!!!! NO!!!!! It's NOT A PLANET!!!" or something as spoken by some guy. Obviously this scene wouldn't happen - and well, I still cannot seem to find the purpose of this whole Pluto controversy, not online at least.

Suggestions? Dedicate more efforts into SETI!!!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2006
    And I seem kind of convinced by the essay linked... :)