Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Questions I Would Ask the Buddha

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited September 2006 in Faith & Religion
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aiia/letter-buddhisminterview.html

A Christian site with some interesting questions... And some not so interesting ones...

I feel like rebutting them, comments? :)

Something from a Buddhist-turned-Christian...

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aiia/aiia-buddhism-harris.html

I think I might understand his situation but lucky guy, whereas I was begging for God to come, God came to him willingly. In the end unlike him, I thought that I had to work for my own salvation still. :)

Comments

• MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    OK, I'll bite (I've see this site before)

If there is no personal God, and if one can attain nirvana only as a result of the destruction of thirst (tanha) / desire, therefore the destruction of attachment, therefore the destruction of existence--from whence, do you suppose, did personality (or even the sense of personality) ever come? Exactly what is it, and where does it go when one ceases to exist?

See the Five Aggregates. Personality and Self are illusions.

Without a personal God, on what basis can there ever exist any human moral standard or ethic--and therefore, in what sense do you mean for us to understand the terms noble and truth, i.e. The Four Noble Truths, or the term right in the eight-fold path of right views, resolve, speech, conduct, occupation, efforts, awareness, and meditation?

Why does one need a god to know what is right? Right Speech etc also translates as "ideal" or "skillful".

If your teaching, which came on the scene in the sixth century B.C., alone represents truth and liberation--what provision was there for the millions who lived previous to the advent of your enlightenment and teaching? Why do you suppose that you, of all humankind, were the one to come on this insight when you did?

There have been countless Buddhas, turning the wheel of dharma before they leave. We are in their debt.

If, as you are reported to have said, nirvana is "beyond...good and evil", then, in the ultimate sense, there is really no difference between Hitler and Mother Theresa, or between helping an old lady across the street and running her down--correct?

It means beyond all opposites.

Thich Nhat Hanh, bodhisattva (holy man) and author of Living Buddha, Living Christ © 1995 by Riverhead Books, attempts to homogenize Buddhism and Christianity. Though you never knew of Jesus Christ, it would seem that you too might suggest that one could conceivably be a "Christian Buddhist". Yet how could that ever be possible given Christianity's categorical differences with Buddhism on matters like the nature of sin, reincarnation, and salvation--to name just a few. Jesus claimed to be the Truth. The Christian Scripture says that "there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12

I read this book and I don't remember Thich Nhat Hanh suggesting you be both, only that the two faiths have much in common, like compassion.

How do you feel about the many variations of your teaching that have evolved down through the years? Please comment on Theravada (38%), Mahayana (56%), Tantrism or Vajranaya, Tibetan (6%; Dalai Lama), and Zen Buddhism?

I feel fine about it. In fact, the scope of Buddhist wisdom is breath-taking to me. All Buddhist schools vary, but share the same core doctrine: (4 Noble Thruths, 8-Fold Path, 3 Marks of Existence).

Call it Applied Buddhism.

Chuck Stanford says: "Like cloudy water, our minds are basically pure and clear, but sometimes they become cloudy from the storms of discursive thoughts. Just like water, if we let our minds sit undisturbed the mud and muck will eventually settle to the bottom. Once this happens we can begin to get in touch with our basic goodness. It is through this basic goodness that the Buddha discovered that we can lead sane lives." But, Mr. Gautama, what if you are wrong about our being basically good? The Bible says that we're conceived in sin. What if there is a personal God to whom we will all one day answer? What if your enlightenment (awakening) was really only a dream?

What if Buddhists are wrong? Then I'm sure the God you describe will be merciful.

In the film Beyond Rangoon Laura's guide says that the (Buddhist) Burmese expect suffering, not happiness. When happiness comes, it is to be enjoyed as a gift, but with the awareness that it will soon certainly pass. If the ultimate Buddhist hope is to just leave the present wheel of birth and rebirth and enter into the ineffable bliss of Nirvana, where is the motivation to do good, and to actively oppose injustice, in this present life?

A Buddhist's motivation is the compassion for self and others. Happiness is temporary, but suffering is optional.

How do we reconcile the Dalai Lama's observation that "Every human being has the potential to create happiness", with your own teaching that suffering is caused by desire? If one sets out to resist desire, why would one ever then entertain the desire for happiness, and thus work to create it?

Happiness is a by-product of enlightment, not the goal. One can be happy AND free from desire, in fact it is the secret. *Wink*

Personal Trivia: Did you really sit under that bo tree for seven full days--without ever eating any figs?

He went without food for much longer than that. In fact he actually almost killed himself via aceticism. So I think Buddha could have gone without food for 7 days standing on his head.

Did your remarkably sensitive, compassionate, nature come more from your mother or father?

Assuming you're not being sarcastic, i'm sure his nature developed over many lifetimes. But his parents were very kind and loving, although his mother died when he was young and his aunt raised him as a mother. <asAceVentura> But I'm sure you knew that. That's what I like about you - your attention to detail.</asAceVentura>

How did your son, left to grow up without a father, feel about your "Great Renunciation"?

They were very close and Rahula followed his father and became ordained, as did most of his family (there was that one cousin who didn't like him....). But I'm sure Gautama's decision to leave his family was very difficult, but he was motivated by compassion, and felt he could help them better this way.

::
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I don't know what these questions are in regards to (I didn't read through the whole site, just this person's decision to become a Christian) but!,

I don't think it's difficult for humans, well, many human, to realize that we ourselves do not like pain or suffering, so it's very easy to think that maybe we shouldn't inflict these same things on others. I mean, c'mon... compassion and love isn't something that comes from a deity only.

Where were the provisions for Christianity for all the millions that lived before Christ or were not Jewish? What about Native Americans or Australian Aboriginees that lived and died in their beliefs? Have they died in their sin? Time and chance comes to every man - but obviously, it didn't. They had neither time nor chance.
    At least in Buddhism - they, through rebirth, have the opportunity to learn the truth and do something about it. In Christianity, these same people are doomed to Hell.

How do Christians feel about Catholic, Prebystarian, Methodist, Baptist, Fundamentalist, Charismastic, Mormon, Pentecostal, Episcapalian, etc. teachings all varying from each other?!!?!? I mean... is this any different from the point this guy is making?

Christianity could be likened to a religion of raising children.
    A Buddhist ultimate goal is nirvana or release from samsara. Although some who have attained this feel such a compassion for humans that they leave or forgoe Nirvana and come back to help the rest of us.
    Christians seek seek Heaven just like Buddhist seek Nirvana. The argument condemns the author as well. Once Christians go to Heaven, where has their compassion gone to help those Christians still here suffering? And what is Heaven? Just simply a reward for doing what has been ordered. There is no choice - if you don't want to go to Hell, you'd had better do as your told. Sounds quite Pavlovian if you ask me...

Did Jesus really sit in the wilderness for 40 days being tempted by a devil? Did he really raise people from the dead? Did he really turn water into wine? Did he really die on a cross, rise from the dead three days later and then float up into the air and go to Heaven? Really? I mean, c'mon... REALLY!?!?!

I think the author of these questions, wherever they came from, is making an unskilled and unthinking list of points to argue.

If the author wishes to pursue Christianity - then by all means they should do so. But no one should base a belief or religion - or justify their belief - by tearing apart or criticizing other's beliefs.

In my opinion, if you go around claiming you're a Buddhist just because you hated going to a Christian church as a child - you're missing the point.

-bf
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited August 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    In my opinion, if you go around claiming you're a Buddhist just because you hated going to a Christian church as a child - you're missing the point.

-bf
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: ,i rarely heard wise words like this coming out from your mouth bf, so keep speaking 'em out
    edited August 2006
    angulimala wrote:
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: ,i rarely heard wise words like this coming out from your mouth bf, so keep speaking 'em out

I'll... ummm... take that as a compliment? :scratch:

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2006
    angulimala wrote:
    i rarely heard wise words like this coming out from your mouth bf, so keep speaking 'em out

Au contraire, mon cher ami Angulimala.... Whether couched in humour, or serious, BF is more often than not a speaker of wise and worthwhile words. In your complment, you do him an injustice.

But if I know him, he'll get over it... ;)
    edited August 2006
    Are you kidding me? Was there anything to ever get over?

I don't even remember what was said now! :)

Somebody pass me some more ether!

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2006
    If I could meet the Buddha, I would ask him..........................

........'Does my bum look big in this?'
    edited August 2006
    He would have probably said:

Friend - this garment you wear does not make your backside look big. It is only a covering. A large covering, but a covering nonetheless.

It is not the covering that makes your backside look big - it's the size of your backside that makes your backside look big.

-bf
    edited August 2006
    Shoot.

I was kinda hoping he'd just say:

"There IS no backside".......
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2006
    LOL!!!
    edited August 2006
    federica wrote:
    Shoot.

Oh... I'm sure he would have been much more mindful that what I came up with. Maybe something like, "Damn girl, stop frontin' and let me get all monkey on dat bumpa!"

But then again, maybe not.

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    I would ask him...'how do I get from here to there?'
    edited August 2006
    Reminds me a bit of this joke:

A man is walking along the beach when he trips over something in the sand.

Upon examination, he sees that it's a genie's lamp. He eagerly rubs the lamp and out pops a genie who says, "I am the genie of the lamp. I have been trapped in this lamp for 1,000 years. For setting me free I will grant you one wish."

The man thought and thought. Finally, he pulled out a map and said, "It's been my goal in life to do something for mankind for which everyone else will remember me. You see this region here on the map? It's called the Middle East and it's a very violent region. I realize I could wish for a lot of money, or fame, but I'd like to use this wish for peace in the Middle East."

The genie looked disappointed. He said, "I'm sorry sir, but I can't grant that wish. The people of that region have been fighting for thousands of years. The wars go back many, many generations. The religious battles and opinions run rampant in that area. Boundary disputes are constantly occurring. Violence and hatred is too far engrained into this part of the world for even one of my wishes to do any good.

I'm sorry, but I just can't do that. Have you another wish?"

"Well," said the man. "If I can't do that for mankind, perhaps I can do this for men. I would like to understand how women work. What makes them laugh? What makes them cry? What affects their emotions? How do I make them happy? Why do they do the things they do? I wish I could fully understand women."

The genie replied, "Umm... let me see that map again."

-bf
  • edited August 2006
    lol!

Well, I guess the point is that the Buddha would probably reply with something we already know...the Path. However, just to be in his presence, it wouldn't matter to me what he was talking about.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited September 2006
    From reading the questions posed on that website, it's clear to me that the author has little or no knowledge of Buddhism. Magwang and Buddhafoot have pretty much summed up what I would have said in reply to all that. Many of the fundie Christian sites always seem to report on other religions with an air of fear and ignorance, which I find very disappointing. Even the current Pope has described Buddhism as 'Autoerotic Spirituality'. I think if any Christian wishes to study Buddhism, they would do well to read the works of the Rev. C. W. Leadbetter, a Theosophist and Christian priest who converted to Buddhism in the 1800s. He was able to see the equal merits of both faiths.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Going on what was said earlier, I would add to the following question thusly:

Thich Nhat Hanh, bodhisattva (holy man) and author of Living Buddha, Living Christ © 1995 by Riverhead Books, attempts to homogenize Buddhism and Christianity. Though you never knew of Jesus Christ, it would seem that you too might suggest that one could conceivably be a "Christian Buddhist". Yet how could that ever be possible given Christianity's categorical differences with Buddhism on matters like the nature of sin, reincarnation, and salvation--to name just a few. Jesus claimed to be the Truth. The Christian Scripture says that "there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12

On the matter of reincarnation, there are NO categorical differences with Christianity. If you click on this link,
    http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen04.html you will clearly see that reincarnation was a central part of Christian teaching, according to Flavius Josephus. Jesus is said to be the reincarnation of several prominent biblical figures, among them Adam, Noah and even Moses. Reincarnation is still a core factor in modern Jewish teaching, and, as a Jew, it is certain that Jesus himself would have preached this practise to his following. Resurrection and salvation, far from being unique to Christianity, were actually assimilated to early Judaism from the Zoroastrian faith, but only retained by Christianity when it finally schismed away from Judaism to become a separate religion. If you look at the Old Testament, and read the Dead Sea Scrolls and much of the New Testament between the lines, you can also see that Jesus did speak of reincarnation. The following passage, taken directly from the above quoted link, says this:

The episode in the Bible where Jesus identified John the Baptist as the reincarnation of Elijah the prophet is one of the clearest statements which Jesus made concerning reincarnation.

For all the prophets and the law have prophesied until John. And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who was to come. (Matt. 11:13-14)

In the above passage, Jesus clearly identifies John the Baptist as the reincarnation of Elijah the prophet. Later in Matthew's gospel Jesus reiterates it.

And the disciples asked him, saying, "Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?"

But he answered them and said, "Elijah indeed is to come and will restore all things. But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also shall the Son of Man suffer at their hand."

Then the disciples understood that he had spoken of John the Baptist." (Matt. 17:10-13)

The notion of reincarnation was dismissed by the Roman church in 533 A.D. as a heresy, in an effort to exacerbate the split from Judaism.

As Jesus claimed to be the truth, (I am the way, the truth and the light), why did the early Christian church feel the need to so completely censor and mutilate some of his core teachings, to the point that the recognised Christian scripture bears little, if any, resemblance to his original message? Would you not agree with me that this is, in itself, a heresy? Or, if the early Christian church was 'right', does this mean that some of Jesus' teachings were themselves heresies, and therefore by logical extrapolation, he was not the truth?
    edited September 2006
    Could I just point out a tiny discrepancy?
    Jesus actually said:

" I am the Way, the Truth and the LIFE", not 'The Light.'

This is a concise explanation of what he meant.

No 'hostility' was intended wit this correction, and I just thought it would be of interest. :)
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited September 2006
    federica wrote:
    Jesus actually said:

No 'hostility' was intended wit this correction, and I just thought it would be of interest. :)

**Slaps forehead** Dang- you're right! My bad. That's what happens when ya don't post for a while, then get back into the flow!:tonguec:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    federica wrote:
    Jesus actually said:

Actually, to be pedantic, he didn't say either one. He said something in Aramaic that I can't understand!

Palzang
  • edited September 2006
    federica wrote:
    Shoot.

he did he did ! but that was another forum...or was it another life ?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    There are times when I feel like giving up and just retiring to a quiet hermitage! Both the list of questions and the answers demonstrate such deep ignorance of the true teachings of both Masters (and many others) that it appears "invincible". The questions are 'straw men' and the answers are unconvincing, based on separatist literalism rather than on any sense of the Body of which Paul speaks.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Answers, Simon? Do you mean that of our own forum members?
  • edited September 2006
    federica wrote:
    If I could meet the Buddha, I would ask him..........................

........'Does my bum look big in this?'

To which he would reply it is an illusion that you have a beginning or a "bum".
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Answers, Simon? Do you mean that of our own forum members?

No, dear heart, I mean the ones set up on to be replied in 'Christian' mode.

BTW, I lay awake for two nights thinking about what I wanted to ask HHDL. In the end, I asked nothing! He began with questions to us.
    edited September 2006
    Iawa wrote:
    To which he would reply it is an illusion that you have a beginning or a "bum".

Ah! You see? I was right - !!

"There IS no bum!"
    edited September 2006
    Easy, Neo.

-bf
    edited September 2006
    Yeh.....Doesn't have quite the same ring to it....:lol: