Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Others and me.. judging

edited September 2006 in Buddhism Today
I was watching, Dogville.. staring nicole kidman and paul bettany.. must say its one of the best films ive ever seen, one of the most emotion wrenching, and one of the smartest.

What i thought about was this -

By not holding other accountable for their actions because they don't understand what they are doing, or are ignorant is false. All people are equal undefinable of age. Surely by viewing ppl in a different light to yourself is false, thats not equal.

So what i say is this, surely we must view what others do to our own standards and what we would do. If someone does something we deem un-acceptable and i mean like harassing or beating someone, we surely should step in.

The only way to do something is to believe in it. Acting because others have done something unacceptable is surely all there is. We can't say with compassion that its not their fault, equally if we did it we would expect some form of retalliation.

Regardless of creed and religion, age and sex.. whatever act consumated we can only compare it to what we would do and our own sense of right or wrong.

Regardless of what that is. If given the choice to either kill a mass murderer or let him go.. the choice is obvious.

Comments

• edited August 2006
    I agree. Too often criminals thrive on the 'understanding' of others. I think Raz-Al-Gul said that in the Batman movie.
  • edited August 2006
    didn't expect anyone to agree :D
  • edited August 2006
    Ok, I have a bit more time to elaborate now. What I mean is that as much as we think we can help rapists, murderers, and other criminals through compassion and some type of reform, the risks are too great because 2/3 of the people that get out of jail, end up returning at a later date.

Now I know what some of you may be thinking. "You don't know that they will repeat their crime!" And you would be right in thining that. However, would you be willing to take that risk if they lived next door to you or in your neighborhood? Especially if you had children.

Now I am not a fan of our current capital punishment. You inject somebody lethally and that is punishment? Since my country is a democracy, the people should decide whether or not they want the death penalty. And since surveys show America approves of capital punishment, I say why not make it interesting and why not make some money off it while you're doing it.

Perhaps something along the lines of Gladiator events. Swords, spears, Lions, Bears, Chariots. The last criminal standing at the end of the day is eligible for parole in 50 years. Sounds crazy? Well I guarentee those stadiums would be packed to see cold-hearted murderers go head to head with rapists and child molesters. And not just the cold-blooded guys dealing drugs and killing people. But the rich, white bankers who are laundering the drug money too.

*Many suggestions above are courteousy of George Carlin on "Capital Punishment"

I know many here are opposed to capital punishment. But it is a very gray area in morality. On the one hand, if you let everyone off for their crimes always giving second chances without punishment, things would get a lot worse. On the other hand, capital punishment means killing people sure, but maybe fear of consequences can prevent people from doing those acts of crime.
  • edited September 2006
    gladiator lol.. i think we should have those, and they should be open to all ppl who wanna participate. Think of the ratings lol

i think manual labour is more of an answer for prisoners... i don't think its fair to kill ppl off here and there. Life imprisonment instead of murdering them, unless they are unable to live even in a prison - in which case injections are fine.

As for second chances, more tags and harder curfew and survelliane on ppl who have been let out.
  • edited September 2006
    Hi Celebrin
    "By not holding other accountable for their actions because they don't understand what they are doing, or are ignorant is false. All people are equal undefinable of age"

hmmm,dunno bout that,some pigs are more equal than others.

maybe its a case of "do unto others...." ?

i do agree that we should take responsability and teach this.

part of the problem is as one wise person (jesus ? buddha ?) once said that you cant cure crime by punishment.
    we humans seem to encourage greed and anger so its no surprise that we create such problems.
  • edited September 2006
    Seems to me that when people don't get proper feedback about how their actions are hurtful or unacceptable, they tend to take the lack of reaction as reinforcing to the view that whatever they are doing is okay.

Sometimes it's not okay. How will they know if no one tells them?