Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Would You Say to a Prisoner?

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited August 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I was thinking yesterday.. In many prisons we do see pastors walking in and making all the sinned feel accepted by God's Love, then causing a positive change in them for good. For the repented, acceptance is what they just want. What would a Buddhist say to make them have the courage to live on and change?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2006
    ajani,

That is a very good question. There is a growing number of monastics, as well as lay teachers who train in Chaplaincy training programs, that are visiting prison inmates and doing just this. Ajahn Brahmavamso is one of the more well-known examples. If it were I speaking to them, I would begin by pointing out that their past actions are in the past. Whatever they may have done to get themselves into prison cannot be undone; nevertheless, there is a chance to do something very positive and meaningful right now. I might introduce the Sankha Sutta to them, in which the Buddha teaches that our past actions cannot be undone, but there are ways that we can minimize their harmful results in order to illustrate this idea. This would naturally lead into the how, which would involve a brief description of the Noble Eightfold Path—the path that leads to the end of suffering. Here I might offer the words of Buddhadasa Bhikkhu entitled The Prison of Life as my audience would be especially prone to penetrating the particular imagery of this lecture. And finally, the Angulimala Sutta, in which a murderer becomes an arahant, would be exceptionally helpful in showing that not only is this end of suffering possible, but that anyone who is sincere in practicing this path can achieve it. In essence, I would stress the fact that we can all change no matter who we are, or what we may have done in the past, as long as we can take responsibility for our own actions.

Jason
  • edited August 2006
    i dont no something about learning to meditate..
    hmm..
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2006
    True... It might make their seek towards acceptance internal (one's past being accepted by oneself) rather than external (accepted by others)... :rockon:
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I would basically tell them, similarly to what Jason posted, that there is a Freedom which can be attained regardless of one's external circumstances. In other words, they have the opportunity, if they choose, to be happier & more content than even the wealthiest, most mobile individuals have. I would also explore how we create virtual prisons mentally which keep us locked up behind bars, unable to experience joy. This is the worst prison of all. I would try to demonstrate that being in an actual prison does not necessitate suffering by showing that different people react differently & that there are steps one can take to change our own patterns of thinking which lead us down into the pits of hell. Getting that initial connection with the prisoner would be the main challenge. Keeping things in simple, lay terms with lots of anecdotal examples, would be my approach.

In order to achieve happiness, an individual must accept that their misery is not an absolute condition, and that there is a way out of that misery which they can put into practice. Buddhism offers precisely this way out.

_/\_
    metta
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2006
    I've done some work in prisons, and what you have to realize when you go in there is that they're just like anyone else. True, they don't have some of the freedoms we enjoy, but in reality we're all prisoners of our delusions. It's important to stress, I think, that freedom is a state of mind. As long as we're under the control of our delusions and obsessions, how can we ever be free? It's also important to stress that their freedom will come as a result of their efforts alone, not somebody opening up the door and letting them go. They can be free behind bars for the bars are only the outer manifestations of their own minds that are locked into violence, hatred, greed and ignorance. Just like the rest of us...

Palzang