Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mp3? No Mp3?

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited October 2006 in Buddhism Today
Alright... I am posting on behalf of my dear friend the great Argon.

So thus I have heard,

He received a brand new MP3 player from his father - when the former already has a working, functional one he feels no need to change.

His father claims it to be a reward for his good studies, but the reasons Argon offered for rejection are as follows:
1) Not wanting to be seen as a spoilt brat
2) Not wanting his grades to be seen as an objective for material gains
3) Not yet getting his prelim results - which he thinks he will underperform

The MP3 player was bought at a discount, though.

He is not really in favour of speaking to his dad about it, and he feel kind of uneasy even.

I told him that my take was that (while using some form of non-attachment logic) since he'd understand his father's reasons, and still be aware of what he wants and what his father wants, he should just take it to enjoy. But it still doesn't solve the problem of having the privellege of two MP3 players for one pair of ears.

Well, comparatively, Argon's problem compared to the teens of today who want more and more MP3 players seem small, but I wish that we all'd take him as seriously as well.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2006
    He could always take both of them. Let a friend borrow one of them. Two ears could enjoy the benefit of this gift. Keep one at school and one at home. Cuts down on the opportunity to break one.

Let his good buddy Ajani use one!

Keep it in the box in case his grades are not up to par - then if he has to give it back, he can just give it back.

I really don't think it's too much to worry about. It wasn't something that he requested.

-bf
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Yeah,

Why doesn't he just give away the old one to someone who doesn't have an mp3 player. If they ask why he is giving it to them, he can say "it is a reward for my good studies."

:):)

_/\_
    metta
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Giving it away is good but why not leave it lying around so that no praise can attach to the giver? Guerilla acts of anonymous kindness.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Guerilla acts of anonymous kindness.

Good one, Simon! Beautiful.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited September 2006
    *hello-arms waving* he could always give it to me...

Or is that really selfish? ......................sorry.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Hahas, guess what? He's using the new MP3 player now and the old headphones...
  • edited October 2006
    He could give his old one to his dad? I know my dad wants an mp3 to be able to carry his tunes with him. That way both parties benifit :) Unless his dad already has one or doesn't want one. In which case he could sell it and give away the money (to his dad or someone else). That's what I would do anyways:buck: