Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shenpa Syndrome

edited September 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Shenpa Syndrome......

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    First of all, what the heck is it?!

Palzang
  • EonEon
    edited September 2006
    http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/shenpa3a.php

Pema Chodron has some nice things to say about it.

Funny that a Zennie knows what it is and a Tibetan Buddhist has to ask. :D

It could be it's because I'm one big shenpa on shoes though...
  • edited September 2006
    The teachings are by Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche one of Pema Chodron's teachers. I watched an interview with her a couple of days ago and she was talking about it so I went to her site and read about it and I couldn't believe how it spoke to me. I found the teachings on it fascinating. I understand our attachment to emotions so much better and how to deal with them. It just makes so much sense how she explains it all...........What a wonderful teaching........

I too am one big shenpa on shoes ........and now I feel like this big light bulb has come on.

Something happened several days ago that upset me very much a couple of you know about it and I had been stressing over it for days.........Replaying it over and over in my head.
    Then I read about these teachings on shenpa..........
    I've walked around for the last 2 days saying it's cool that's just shenpa, just observe what's going on etc..... and it has really helped.........

I was very excited after I read on it and just wanted to know what others thought......
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Eon wrote:
    Funny that a Zennie knows what it is and a Tibetan Buddhist has to ask.

Not so funny really. My teacher is an American woman who doesn't speak a word of Tibetan (other than Tashi delek!).

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I think this just points up the fact that each language, each tradition, has much more to teach us than translation can transmit.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    If my back hadn't been injured I would have been at that winter retreat at Gampo Abbey. lol!
    Man, oh man, do I ever want to study with Pema Chodron. Nothing, and I mean nothing, goes as deeply into my being and and wakes me up as much as her teachings. She makes me understand. Her's is the clearest finger I see pointing at the moon.
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Write to her, Brigid! Perhaps there are other ways for you to participate than 'being there'. Why not?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Well, I've been mulling it over for ages. I'm going into Ottawa in a couple of weeks to see an orthopedic surgeon about my back (don't worry, injections only, NO surgery!!!) and I'm staying for three days so that I can go to the Shambhala Center there and maybe start the ball rolling. I guess what I'm really afraid of is rejection. Being in the state I'm in has a way of making one feel like a bit of a burden and I would really hate for any monastic to think that I wanted to come live with them because I couldn't take care of myself on my own. I don't know why I've let myself develop this silly neurosis but there you have it. lol!

Thank you so much for the encouragement, Quest. It's so appreciated.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Wow, this article is really excellent. It puts a word to something I've noticed when dealing with my compulsions. There's this experience when something like lust arises & I just know that I no longer have much of a choice in where things go. It kind of reminds me of when the rollercoaster starts pulling you up to the first summit and you know there is now turning back. This is especially true of my issues with sexual lust. I know that if I entertain the mental storyplay & movie-making that it takes an incredible amount of willpower to get out. It's practically impossible. I'm sure this is true of other things as well.

And I've realized that I can see it when my wife goes into Shenpa. There is just this fundamental disconnect in certain situations & when I say certain things. And I have been trying to stop when I recognize it lately, with some success. I really plan on reading & re-reading that section. Opening up spaciousness here & being really mindful seems to be the key. Kind of reminds me of the 'beginners mind' of Zen Buddhism.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a bit. And if you haven't read the article, I suggest you do so.

_/\_
    metta
  • EonEon
    edited September 2006
    If you liked that one, you'll probably like http://www.soulfulliving.com/learning_to_stay.htm this one too.