Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Evolution Statistics!

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited November 2009 in Faith & Religion
Now now.. One lucky woman in NY, as reported by my local paper, happens to have struck a million-dollar lottery twice. Lucky woman, it's predicted that the odds of such happening is 1 in 3,669,120,000,000... Now what's that probability for life by chance again? C'mon woman, strike it once more and stun the mathematicians in the world! :p :rockon:

Comments

• edited September 2006
    What where the first mono-cellular organisms reincarnated from? Inquiring minds want to know! :confused:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Er if this is a real question, I'd be glad to explain various elements of cellular biology to you.

cheers
    Xrayman
  • edited September 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Er if this is a real question, I'd be glad to explain various elements of cellular biology to you.

cheers
    Xrayman
    I can't find the 'reincarnation" chapter in my biology textbook, so go ahead! :vimp:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I prefer to suggest Dependent origination-in this case, rather than Reincarnation..
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I'd prefer to think that it was life that made "rebirth" possible, if that answers your question, Kris.

What do you believe in as the cause of life? :)

Evolution is my answer - and I think that most of us are easily confused by the Creationists' "Theory of Evolution", which is meant to slander the work and insult the intelligence of the scientists who have always done so well in making evolution work.

Well a little psuedoscience here from me... But I kinda think that as species progress, somehow or other, "rebirth" as we know it in the Buddhist sense became a possibility... But I cannot explain how this fits into evolutionary theory, it's too much opinion and too little science.

But end-note, is it easier to accept that life causes rebirth rather than rebirth causes life, as a solution to your query? :rockon: :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    What makes you think that this is the only planet with life on it, or even the only universe? The Buddha taught that there are 10,000 myriads of universes (i.e. infinite universes), all teeming with sentient beings. There is nothing that prevents rebirth in any of them really other than dependent origination.

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    What makes you think that this is the only planet with life on it, or even the only universe? The Buddha taught that there are 10,000 myriads of universes (i.e. infinite universes), all teeming with sentient beings. There is nothing that prevents rebirth in any of them really other than dependent origination.

Palzang

Is there not a story where the Buddha explains to the heroes and gods who complain about the state of this world that it is here that he has chosen to Turn the Wheel of Dharma? A fact for which I give daily thanks.
  • edited December 2006
    What where the first mono-cellular organisms reincarnated from? Inquiring minds want to know! :confused:
    THE SAME THING EVERYTHING ELSE DID! "LIFE". WHICH IS NOTHING MORE OR LESS THAN EVERYTHING ELSE-THAT IS-THE SAME "STUFF" FROM WHICH EVERYTHING ELSE IS "MADE". How's that for irony ?
  • edited October 2007
    Evolution and the origins of life does not infer life was simply a chance event.

Throwing a lit match flippantly into the air and having it land in a pile of gunpowder involves chance but chance is not a significant factor in the explosion.

The probability of life beginning anyplace in the universe is very likely once certain conditions exist for it to occurr. Now given the size of the universe those certain conditions are likely to be found.

Good Day ...
  • edited May 2009
    ajani_mgo wrote: »
    Now now.. One lucky woman in NY, as reported by my local paper, happens to have struck a million-dollar lottery twice. Lucky woman, it's predicted that the odds of such happening is 1 in 3,669,120,000,000... Now what's that probability for life by chance again? C'mon woman, strike it once more and stun the mathematicians in the world! :p :rockon:

Yes, even with the odds of life originating by chance is one in several billion, with billions of planets over billions of years, we would still expect life to originate several times over. After that, the evolution of complex life is a non-chance process (natural selection), and we don't need to rely on probability estimates.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2009
    tkdjohn wrote: »
    Didn't Buddah leave his family to go live on a mountain to try to find inner peace which he never found? Gee that sounds like the way it is today with all the dead beat dads and single moms and dads who didn't have the strength to endure hardships.
    I am simply flabbergasted by your ignorance.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Didn't Buddah leave his family to go live on a mountain to try to find inner peace which he never found? Gee that sounds like the way it is today with all the dead beat dads and single moms and dads who didn't have the strength to endure hardships.

Of course, you can read it that way, even if it is far from the usual understanding. At the same time, I suppose you can read Jesus running away at 12 and his later rejection of his mother and brothers as the actions of a delinquent.

It all depends on what motives and intentions you ascribe in our ignorance of the individual's own interior processes.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Mr (?) tdkjohn, I think you would be well advised to at least read up on a subject before opening your mouth about it. It's obvious that you know absolutely nothing about the life of the Buddha and his motivations for doing what he did. If reading is too much for you, go to the video store and check out the movie "Little Buddha".

Palzang
  • edited October 2009

Wow, yet another irrellevant post in a thread that seems to just try to conjure hatred against you.

I suggest you think why you are doing this.

Jackus
  • edited October 2009

I smell a troll under the bridge
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Under the bridge....?

Oh no, I think he's in plain sight....

The Billy Goats Gruff will get him 'ere long......:D
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited November 2009

OK I havn't read any other replies than this one and it just jogged my memory of a relatively strong belief I have...

Time is a wheel, like life. When the world is destroyed another exact same one is created. And so I believe that the souls of everything at the end of the world will be the souls of the new life on the next Earth, and so on and on and on....

Does anyone else share this belief?...
    Joe:)
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  • edited November 2009
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    OK I havn't read any other replies than this one and it just jogged my memory of a relatively strong belief I have...

Time is a wheel, like life. When the world is destroyed another exact same one is created. And so I believe that the souls of everything at the end of the world will be the souls of the new life on the next Earth, and so on and on and on....

no, sorry. I seem to be unable to believe things for which there is no evidence. But I do have enormous reverence for evidence.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009

Sorry, no souls in Buddhism. And why would you think that earth is the only inhabited planet in universe filled with trillions upon trillions of planets? Such a belief is completely without basis.

Palzang
    edited November 2009
    I don't believe that we're the only planet with life, I never said that.
    Well, Karma then, what ever.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    You can believe in anything you want. All I said was that the concept of a soul is not to be found in Buddhism. And there is absolutely no proof that there is one as well.

Palzang
  • edited November 2009
    Save the World.
    She Needs Our Help!

Actually the Earth will abide. After we have destroyed ourselves and millions of species, evolution will just make more. The problem is that the "more" will not be us. Keeping the Earth clean, unpolluted and not overpopulated will save US but the Earth herself is supremely equanimous and can't be harmed by us.
    edited November 2009
    Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Love'N'Peace viewpost.gif
    Save the World.
    She Needs Our Help!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Actually the Earth will abide. After we have destroyed ourselves and millions of species, evolution will just make more. The problem is that the "more" will not be us. Keeping the Earth clean, unpolluted and not overpopulated will save US but the Earth herself is supremely equanimous and can't be harmed by us.

I know the world will eventually be destroyed, I meant you have to care for the planet while we're on it (and it isn't going to burn for about five billion years so we have plenty of time to mess up further).