Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Samye Dzong - any info?

edited September 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hello,

I wonder if any one knows anything about Samye Dzong in London?

I hoped that I might have found a tradition not to be fearful of. I have checked out their website and all seems fine, but apart from that know very little about them.

Can any one put my mind at rest?

Much metta

lesley

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Lesley,

Good to meet you!

I don't know the centre personally, although having attended a small audience with H.H. the Karmapa I have great reverence for him. I called a London friend who tells me that the centre is, in his words (a non-Buddhist) 'delightful'.

Having looked at their site, I would say that there are a number of very positive signs, not least of which is that they have a move planned. This means that they will be building and modifying and decorating. There is an old Benedictine saying that the community that is not building is a dying community - the Samye Dzong community appears to be flourishing.

In addition, Dr Akong Tulku Rinpoche appears to live out a mission to serve as well as to study!

Worth a visit, I think. I should be interested to hear your experience.
  • edited September 2006
    Good to meet you too! Many thanks for checking with a friend and letting me know - it does sound promising.

Much metta
    lesley
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2006
    Hello lesley, Nice to have you with us! Pull up an armchair and have a nice cuppa!
  • edited September 2006
    Hello Federica, thank you for the lovely welcome!
  • edited September 2006
    Hi lesley....welcome to our forum! It's good to have you here!

Kim
  • edited September 2006
    P.S. stay away from Buddhafoot. He's really only here to pick up chicks.

(Just teasing! He's just fun to pick on!)
  • edited September 2006
    Thanks for the welcome and advice Yogamama!! I like your forum so far - it seems very kind :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    lesley wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome and advice Yogamama!! I like your forum so far - it seems very kind :)

Perhaps that is our true home: not Tibetan or Western or Pure Land or Zen or any other of the schools. Perhaps we are, with all our diversity, Kindness Buddhists.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    How beautifully and perfectly put, Simon! I couldn't agree more!

Hi, Leslie. It's very nice to meet you. I'm interested in Vajrayana, too, and I'm still learning.

But Kindness Buddhism sounds like just the right place for me at this moment. Thanks, Simon.