Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

vajrayana tradition - confused!

edited November 2006 in Philosophy
Hello everyone.

I am sorry if this seems a very broad question, but I have read a little that suggests that Vajrayana tradtion can be worrisome and potentially harmful mentally and physically if not 'properly' undertaken.. I hope that this is just a wrong view.

The group I was hoping to go along to seems to be mostly Vajrayana based, so I am a little concerned.
Any words of wisdom would be great.

Thankyou and much metta
lesley

Comments

• edited September 2006
    You know...some 'big wig' over at E-sangha basically gave me the same ghost story. Pooh!

You are in the driver's seat...don't let whisperers and egos plants seeds of doubt. You know what is right for you.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited September 2006
    lesley wrote:
    Hello everyone.

I am sorry if this seems a very broad question, but I have read a little that suggests that Vajrayana tradtion can be worrisome and potentially harmful mentally and physically if not 'properly' undertaken.. I hope that this is just a wrong view.

The group I was hoping to go along to seems to be mostly Vajrayana based, so I am a little concerned.

Thankyou and much metta
    lesley

In my understanding, Vajrayana is heavily reliant on a teacher for direction/guid
    ance. So, I wouldn't exactly chalk this one up to the 'ghost story' category. Nonetheless, there are a good deal of preliminary Vajrayana practices that don't have any real danger at all. I think what is being referred to is some of the more advanced practices such as Deity Yoga. There are some very powerful energies/experiences that can be evoked through such practices, & without a qualified & experienced teacher, they can potentially be spiritually dangerous.

At least that is my understanding, though I am not a Vajrayana practitioner.

_/\_
    metta
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited September 2006
    lesley wrote:
    I have read a little that suggests that Vajrayana tradtion can be worrisome and potentially harmful mentally and physically if not 'properly' undertaken.

Hi Lesley. Your concerns are also your protection - you are aware - which is a necessary requirement for Vajrayana.

Now the big thing with Vajrayana - which is by another name, the Tantric Vehicle - is that without some knowledge and training in renunciation and bodhichitta the whole gambit of what opens up in Tantra can become overwhelming to the point that one may become somewhat psychotic - which is not the object of the exercise.

The whole point of Tantra is projection - one projects the essence of their Guru which has the psychological effect of 'transforming' themselves into that entity. Which is not a bad pyschological ploy but can lead to psychological dependency and thoughts of grandeur.

I do not know where you are on the Path - you may have had experience in such matters and you may be rather better educated - like a degree or similar qualification - which means you have been opened up to the challenge of rapid and challenging learning styles. Sorry if that sounds a bit snobbish - it's not meant to be - just to give you some idea of what is coming up. In Tibetan culture, monks did not become involved with Tantra until having spent many years in study and practice. We are somewhat better off in the West - our standard of education is generally somewhat higher.

You will hear lots about the important of having a teacher etc etc etc - but, really, it's no big deal. There is emphasis of Guru worship - which in some caes can become god-like devotion with accompanying acts of gushiness to various degrees. Westerners seem to get caught up in this emotional attachment which is very unBuddhist of them - which is were some dangers do lie and they are real.

The mere fact that you have asked this question strongly suggests to me that you are not ready for Vajrayana just yet. I would also urge you to check out the centre you intend to visit. I know Tantra is a big thing in the West - especially all that sexual stuff that associated with the practice - become a big seller item - which again demonstrates that while we might be better educated in the West we are still pretty inmature with regards to spiritual things.

AS you might gather I am somewhat anti tantra - I've been through the process and while there are some excellent lessons the whole thing can be seriously questioned - did the Buddha teach this type of practice? And if he did not, what's going on here?
  • edited September 2006
    Personally, I think one will naturally find what is right. Wholesome evaluation is good...but 'worrying' means that there is something inside you need to look at. In Vajra, there is the talk of 84,000 siddhis (sp?)....84,000 different ways/paths. I don't think anybody has to do anything to arrive at the right point...other than maintain mindfullness and compassion...and internal balance.

Have you looked into Dzogchen?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    lesley,

It is true that Vajrayana is somewhat more risky than other forms of Buddhism. The reason is that Vajrayana is known as the quick path, so it requires a qualified teacher to guide you in order to avoid pitfalls along the way. Most of the people that I have seen have difficulty with Vajrayana were either those who ignored the instructions of their teacher or tried to go it alone. That's a recipe for disaster. If you stay with the program, however, and go about it step by step gradually, you'll have no problem.

Don't let the nay-sayers try to scare you with horror stories about tantra. Usually they're referring to Hindu tantra (the sexual kind) with no knowledge of Buddhist tantra which is quite something else altogether. Tantra from the Buddhist view is simply transforming your own poisons into enlightened mind in a very direct way. It's not something to be feared at all, but rather a powerful technique that will produce results.

Best wishes,

Palzang
  • edited September 2006
    Many thanks for all your posts - they are most kind and helpful.
    much metta
    lesley
  • edited November 2006
    lesley wrote:
    Hello everyone.

Thankyou and much metta
    lesley

Hello all, I am kind of new here. In regard to the question of the dangers of Vajrayana, I remember briefly exploring Shingon Buddhism at a temple near where I live. The monk there was a very nice fellow, and we hit it off. He told me basically the same thing that Vajrayana is best practiced under strict guidance of a certified priest.

The reasoning is that someone could take the practices there, and run off and start their own sect claiming some special teachings. I guess in the case of Shingon Buddhism that has happened with some "Okinawan" sect.

That's what I heard at least.
  • edited November 2006
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! Don't I know you from Beliefnet?
  • Bunny_HereBunny_Here Explorer
    edited November 2006
    Hi Gerald Ford,

I'm so happy to see you here! I hope that you will find this to be a very helpful and friendly place. :thumbsup:
    edited November 2006
    Hi Ramblingonmyway,

I know you for Beliefnet too! I have been a reader there since 2002, but only became a recent participant. I found that I was happier just being a reader, and so I'm weaning my way off of that site.

It's very good to see you here too. Hope to catch you around sometime!

:wavey:
    edited November 2006

Hi Lesley,

It is always a good idea to do research before going to a group. Have you done any research on Vajrayana practices?
  • edited November 2006
    Oh, yeah, Bunny, now I remember! I thought your name looked familiar. I'm not too fond of Beliefnet either, and I don't plan to go back -- I haven't been for several months. I'm glad you found your way to this forum, though. It's much more pleasant here, and you can't beat the company!

I suppose I should have posted this conversation on the introductions thread...
  • edited November 2006
    Ha ha, this is like the BNet reunion or something. Yeah, you got me Rambling. I got sick of BNet, and have left it completely except for the Pure Land forum (no. of partiticipants: 1, me).
  • edited November 2006
    Anyways, I agree with you guys that this forum really is quite a bit nicer. If nothing else, the format and features are better (and Firefox friendlier than BNet).
    edited November 2006
    You know, I recommended for Lesley to do some research, and I don't know thing one about Vajrayana Buddhism! Can somebody fill me in on some of the practices?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I agree with gerald that Vajrayana is not something you go off and do on your own. That is bound to result in disaster, or at the very least confusion and increased delusion. You absolutely need a teacher on the Vajrayana path, someone who can steer you clear of obstacles and self-delusion because they have walked the path before you. Otherwise it's like walking through a huge room littered with all sorts of dangerous obstacles in the dark with no light. The way you turn on the light is by having a guide. I once talked with Sakyong Mipham, the head of the Shambhala organization, about the problem they have had in the past with people who attend their Vajrayana training, which they call Seminary, and then go off on their own without maintaining the connection to the organization and end up experiencing huge problems, such as insanity or extreme delusion. So it really is necessary to stick with the program if you decide to take this particular path.

Bunny, Vajrayana teaches the same teachings as the other schools of Buddhism (one teacher, one teaching), but the techniques used are quite different in many cases. There is a technology that has been developed that can result in enlightenment in one lifetime if done with diligence and fearlessness. Vajrayana uses tantra, which is the direct transformation of one's own poisons into enlightened amrita. That probably doesn't tell you much!

It involves the use of visualization, mind-to-mind transmission, meditation of course, and other techniques. You visualize yourself as an enlightened being, say, Avalokiteshvara, with the idea that gradually you will take on the same qualities in your own life. It can be a very powerful technique if used properly, but also very dangerous if used improperly (such as to build up your own ego). So it's not for everybody. Some people do much better with the gradual path of attainment, and that's perfectly fine. The Buddha taught different methods for different people depending on their particular personality and makeup.

Probably not a very complete answer, but hey, it's a big topic!

Palzang
    edited November 2006
    Thanks Palzang. Your response is very helpful.