Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hungry Ghost in my apartment

edited September 2006 in Buddhism Basics
From the day my roomie and I moved in we suspected our apartment was haunted because in a photo we took before first moving in there, a woman who was not in the picture was standing half hidden behind a corner. Since then we have come to terms with our little ghost, and we havent had anything too weird happen that couldnt be explained. However, this summer my roomate said he saw the ghost, but it was not a woman, it was a man, he did not describe that man to me. I had never seen him until last night in my sleep I dreamt that I was confronted by the ghost, it was a man, wearing a black hat, and a black suit, with a beard, almost like a hassidic jew or an amish man. In my dream I remember immediately sensing that this being was a ghost, and being frigthened at first but then sensing no ill will from the ghost I pulled myself together and asked him who he was and what he was looking for, he did not respond, he only gave me a confused look, I told him that he was dead and he needed to move on, he still responded with the same puzzled look, then I have trouble remembering what happend next, but he walked away from me I think and the dream shifted or I woke up.
It was very odd, I thought maybe that it was only a dream and that guy was imaginary, until I spoke to my roomate and described the ghost, we were both shocked and awed to describe the same man, with the same features, wearing the same clothes I told you about.
It makes sense that he contacted me, now because I feel the most spirtually aware and powerful as I have ever been in my life, and In meditation I often feel the presence of another person when no one else is in the room. But at the same time I am a little creeped out that the ghost choose to contact me in my dreams.
I was wondering if any one had some words of advice to give me, I want to help the ghost move on and enter a higher realm, I have started praying for it, but what should I do if I encounter it again, my roomate suggested that maybe he doesn't speak english which is why he gave me a confused look and didnt respond, he did not look asian so I doubt that a sanskrit or chinese chant would do any better than english, but I don't know I'm open to try anything to help this being get out of his hell and out of my apartment cuz its kinda creepy you know.:eek2:

Comments

• edited September 2006
    That is definitely freaky! I wish I had advice for you, but thankfully, I have not experienced this before. Good luck with your guests!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2006
    I think ghosts stay away from me because I don't believe in them.

That reminds me of the joke. Did I ever tell you the joke about they dude in the college "paranormal" class that says he's had sex with a ghost?

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2006
    ....not yet.....
  • edited September 2006
    I have a friend who said things were going on in her home. She asked a friend who was a Native American Shaman to come. He burnt sage in her home and chanted.....not sure what. But anyway, She has had no problems since.

A neighbor said she has had a small child in red footie pajamas in her home and another neighbor has seen the same child in her house. They asked the child to leave and to please not return and as far as I know he has not been back for many years.

I really don't have any personal suggestions. I have not personally experienced this.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2006
    BBR,

If you wish to help this being move to a higher realm out of compassion, then there are a number of things that you can do. First, you can perform meritous deeds (such as offer food to monastics, practicing meditation, et cetera), and dedicate that merit to the peta in your apartment. You can chant the Metta Sutta, and practice loving-kindness meditation while directing all of the wholesome thoughts and good wishes that you generate towards the peta in your apartment. You can also make small offerings of food and clothing to the peta in your apartment. If such things do not lead to the peta being reborn in a higher state, then you can chant the Atanatiya Sutta so that you can at least practice meditation in peace. I hope that you find this information helpful in some way.

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    If it is bothering you, find an exorcist.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Where's the joke, bf?!

I'll put your situation in our prayer book, BBR. It has helped others in similar situations.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Oh, ha ha...

Palzang
  • MakarovMakarov Explorer
    edited September 2006
    Ghosts? Hmmm, it's a topic that I love to think about. During my earlier years growing-up in Eastern Germany I often felt that it would be fascinating to experience ghosts on some level but I have since been told that either I am not "receptive/perceptive enough to sense them OR thatthey do not exist. I have in the past placed myself in "scarry" situations where....if there were Ghosts around us, surely I would encounter them. I spent 3 days, alone in the winter in Auschwitz-Birkenau taking photos and never once, even when sleeping there at night did have any experiences. I also visitied and spent time in many locations inGermany and Poland where other horrible atrcities occurred and surely totured souls would linger yet felt nothing so....for me, it's a closed case. I wish I would/could have an experience perhaps as vivid as yours but it just ain't happenin. Good Luck with your uncomfortable dilemna.