Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A question about "heaven" and "hell"

becomethesignalbecomethesignal Explorer
edited October 2007 in Buddhism Basics
I'm just curious to know whether or not Buddhists believe in "heaven" and/or "hell" and to hear your ideas on these subjects. Your responses will be appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2006
    Heaven and Hell are two states emphasised in Deistic religions as a means of dissuading the sinner and promising reward.

There are countless millions going through, and experiencing, their own personal 'hells' every day, across this globe, through the violent and aggressive intervention of others - from spouses to Governments....

Whilst mention is made of Hell realms in Buddhism, I personally feel (and this is my opinion) Hell and Heaven, as existential concepts, are what we make them.
    And we make the former far too well, but fail to recognise that the latter is within our grasp....
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    federica wrote:
    ..............................I personally feel (and this is my opinion) Hell and Heaven, as existential concepts, are what we make them.
    And we make the former far too well, but fail to recognise that the latter is within our grasp....

Or, indeed, vice versa!
  • ECMECM
    edited September 2006
    Most Chinese friends I know believe in a sort of hell -- perhaps not identical to the Western version -- they call it the afterworld -- but some of the Taoist notions (really awful, and they even have a theme park in various cities built by the "Tiger Balm" people that shows all the horrible things that will happen to you if you do bad things in this life). Buddhism in China has been influenced by this I think, and has its own version - a bit more complex - the six realms of existence - which include hell-like aspects, hungry ghosts, etc.

I have a friend who nearly died and had a near death experience where he found himself in hell. It scared him a lot.

ECM

Hell? It seems to be constructed by all cultures.
  • edited September 2006
    nicely put fed
  • edited September 2006
    There is a story I have heard in different variations across books.

A Samurai returned from a bloody victory pondering the existence of heaven or hell after he would die. He saw a monk meditating outside the field and asked him, "Wise monk, tell me what is heaven and what is hell."

The monk examined the Samurai and replied, "You are coverd in blood, you are a murderer, and you stink of death, and you look like a criminal."

Startled, the Samurai was outraged and raised his sword to attack the monk. The monk looked and said, "That is hell."

The Samurai stopped and stared, and he understood. He dropped his sword and smiled. He even laughed and hugged the monk. The monk smiled and responded, "And that is heaven."

Different story. Same truth! No?
  • edited September 2007
    to my knowledge, buddhism in thailand is as such,

u live, u sin, u spend time paying for sins in hell,u go to heaven.. or something along those lines lol. never did fully agree with it, but its a question with a personal answer.

You can't really get a perfect answer from this question.. i like to just say

"with no answer, theres no question".. so why bother about heaven and hell and so forth..

i imagine that the samurai you were talking about Kob had to commit sepuku after for raising his sword against a monk lol
    edited September 2007
    Good to see you back, Celebrin. It's been a while. How're you doing?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2007
    becomethesignal,
    I'm just curious to know whether or not Buddhists believe in "heaven" and/or "hell" and to hear your ideas on these subjects. Your responses will be appreciated. Thank you

In Buddhist cosmology, there are heaven (sagga) realms and there hell (niraya) realms; however, rebirth into any of these realms is temporary. As for the nature of these realms, in Theravada, these realms are generally treated as literal, external realms of existence where rebirth is possible due to the ripening of wholesome or unwholesome kamma. In Mahayana, the experiences of these realms are generally seen as real experiences, although there is no external location that corresponds to these realms (i.e. they are mentally fabricated realities based upon wholesome or unwholesome kamma). All in all, my own belief is that rebirth into any of these realms is certainly a possiblity; although, I am also open to the possibility that these are merely methaphorical descriptions of various pleasant and unpleasant mental states. For more information, or just a quick reference, please see The Thirty-one Planes of Existence.

Jason
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Whether these realms are literally real places or not (and what does "real" mean anyway?), they certainly exist as states of mind. I know I have spent a lot of time in both the hell and heaven realms just in this life!

Palzang
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Palzang wrote: »
    Whether these realms are literally real places or not (and what does "real" mean anyway?), they certainly exist as states of mind...

Ja! Like dose people who really WANT others to go to Hell.

And that's bad enough, but then they go telling others that they're going to hell because of their BELIEFS.

I've mentioned to not a few people at work when they start talking about the afterlife, that as A Christian (which I am still, in part) I was not required to believe in Hell, that belief in Hell was not an Article of Faith that a Christian had to subscribe to.

Several of these moralists have quipped back at me, "Well, you'll believe in Hell when you get there!"

Now, that is a very rude thing to say and it makes me very angry that people can engage in such DESTRUCTIVE RELIGIOUS ACTIVITY and apparently have clean consciences. It is especially repugnant to me that these things are said around the sick and dying, where I work, and those people feel bad enough already. I could tell stories...

NOPE, as far as I'm concerned there's only ONE kind of afterlife to talk about at the old folks' home.

Also, what about "Muslim" extremists? Surely they believe in Hell. "Gosh," they must think about their targets, "these heathen are useless and going to Hell. Therefore, they don't deserve to live anyway." ——"What are a few bombs to such scum who are destined to go to Hell anyway? Why not kill and maim them now to hasten them on their merry ways?" —— "Why make Hell wait? HELL: Let's bring it on now! Let's have some excitement and do away with all this boring tolerance of others!" ——"Gosh, we could make the whole #*@$ world a living Hell..."

Conversely, anyone who values life, love, respect for others, and liberty, how much more should that dear person scorn the idea of an eternal imprisonment in misery for his or her fellow human beings? Such compassionate types don't wish people even to suffer greatly in this present transitory life, let alone forever, which would be infinitely worse (and therefore UNJUST, as it would be disproportionate out of all measure).

Surely building or pondering much on theories about Hell and eternal punishment would be out of character for a compassionate and decent Being, and completely out of order, unless those theories had to do with what our lot is wreaking on each other in the HERE AND NOW. (If we let it happen, that's where and what Hell is: Our worst fears realized.)

In Theistic systems, the very idea of a Creator-God making people in order that he can torture them eternally if they don't act in mechanically correct ways all the days of their lives is ludicrous to me. What father or mother among us would ask such an exacting price from his or her children? If God is Father, then he is Loving. If there is a God, he is not so much Just as he is loving and merciful.

I don't really know how to address the Buddhist and other Eastern concepts of Hell, since I don't know a lot about them. My swami never mentioned junk like that.

It is my sincere belief as a catholic Christian/Vedantist/Buddhist that "God's" property is always to have mercy. That has been taught to me since I was old enough to hold up my head. And it's in THE BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER.

Be Good and, in order to be truly good, have a little fun.

Nirvy
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Just tell 'em to go to hell, Nirvy!

Palzang
  • edited October 2007
    Well, if religious folks ever give you too much trouble about the afterlife, you can always hit them with this....
    "Religions has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky...who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special places, full of fire and smoke, and burning, and torture, and angueish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever until the end of time...BUT HE LOVES YOU!"

----George Carlin
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited October 2007
    He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!
    :grin:

_/\_
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007
    My personal opinion: all Xians should be required to read Mark Twain's Letters from the Earth.

Palzang
    edited October 2007
    Palzang wrote: »
    My personal opinion: all Xians should be required to read Mark Twain's Letters from the Earth.

Palzang

Immediately after we have (re-)read the Gospel of Thomas, Palzang-la.

May you always know happiness and the sources of happiness.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Actually it would be nice if the pseudo-Christian moral majority types would read any part of the Bible and actually understand it!

Palzang
    edited October 2007
    Christians, Palzang, should read the New Testament and give that their loyalty and interest, and not stress the Old Testament.

The Angry God of the Old Testament is neither good nor ethically sound. Creating a Hell-World and wishing people to go to Hell are things that spring from Anger, not from love or compassion. People back in those days were not very advanced.

The Dalai Lama and other Buddhist teachers say that such "afflictive emotions" as anger are the very source of unethical conduct:

When we become angry, we stop being compassionate, loving, generous, forgiving, tolerant, and patient altogether... immediatley destroy[ing] our critical faculties..." (ETHICS FOR THE NEW MILLENIUM, p 95)

Therefore, Hell is a creation of the Angry Mind, wanting others to suffer for their actions.

As for Heaven, I get enough of that when I see a loved one I haven't seen for several months.
    edited October 2007
    Anger and Hatred are also simply based on wrong view, so they can't possibly lead us to better things, imo.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2007
    Hell and Heaven both stem from the same place. We call it mind, and we create as we go along....
  • edited October 2007
    not1not2 wrote: »
    Anger and Hatred are also simply based on wrong view, so they can't possibly lead us to better things, imo.

Although anger should have its limits and boundaries, it has its uses like any other emotion. Anger has as much validity as happiness or sadness. All of these emotions originate in the mind.

For instance, it was anger at injustice that brought an end to the Apartheid, slavery, and mandated segregation.

If some horrible offense is committed against a loved one (rape, abuse), you are supposed to be angry. If you find that you have been duped or cheated by someone, you are supposed to be angry.

Good things can come from anger.
  • edited October 2007
    federica wrote: »
    Hell and Heaven both stem from the same place. We call it mind, and we create as we go along....

bow.gif
    edited October 2007

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007

The hell you say...
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited October 2007
    War is Hell (famous quote).

In the NT, Jesus once taught in a manner that compared Hell to Gehanna (Hinnom in Hebrew), a place where refuse was disposed of in his time, but historically was the site of child sacrifice. I do agree that we create our own Hell, even if there is a dimension of spiritual torture. A book I read gives the question "How many Hells are there." The reply was "as many as the human mind can create."
    edited October 2007
    Although anger should have its limits and boundaries, it has its uses like any other emotion. Anger has as much validity as happiness or sadness. All of these emotions originate in the mind.

For instance, it was anger at injustice that brought an end to the Apartheid, slavery, and mandated segregation.

If some horrible offense is committed against a loved one (rape, abuse), you are supposed to be angry. If you find that you have been duped or cheated by someone, you are supposed to be angry.

Good things can come from anger.

Well, sort of. But the anger is an unnecessary emotion and does no good in and of itself. Granted, there is a wisdom aspect to it, as you point out, but what brought Apartheid, etc to an end was doing something about it intelligently. I don't think we're disagreeing a whole lot though.

_/\_