Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anywone who wants to help a newbie?

edited February 2007 in Buddhism Today
Hello To all you good people, I'm new to this forum and new to buddhism. I was wondering if you guys could answer some of my questions on the subject.

I consider myself to be kind of a half buddhist...I believe in alot of the teachings and I meditate and stuff, but at the moment I have so much going on in my life that it's difficult to adhere to some of it, like no drugs/drinking, being a vegetarian and such.

I only discovered Buddhism about a week ago, and was planning to ease myself into it gradually while I still test whether its right for me. This is gunna sound like a stupid question, but is that 'allowed'? Is it ok for me to temporarily follow some of it (stuff like respecting others and such), and not others?

Cheers :)

Comments

• ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Welcome to our forum, KCF! You will find that we are vibrant individuals even as some of us may be flesh-eaters! :rockon:

There is no dogma in modern Buddhism. There will be no one to yell into your face as to what to do, what not to do. Let the Dharma be your teacher, and your own head be your filter.

For me personally, something that does not interfere with your practice, it is OK to practice or not practise it. For example, if you may be having an unusually low threshold for alcohol that makes your life a living hell, it may be Buddhist as much as it is logical for you to drop it. If you find that alcohol brings you more good than bad (since a little of it can boost your health actually), and you are able to say twelve words properly without any pauses or senseless murmuring every day you drink etc. etc. I would say, why not? :rockon:
  • edited September 2006
    Thanks dude, nice to know this isn't one of those 'one step out of line and your doomed' religions. However, I mainly have a problem with the no drinking/drugs bit. I've used a fair few psychedelic drugs, and from the bit of research I did, Buddah kinda taught against using tehse kind sof things. Paradoxically, its because of them that I turned from a hardcore athiest to the agnostic-leaning-towards-buddhist that I am now. They have helped my spiritual growth emmencly (spelling?), and while I plan to be drug and alcohol free for 2008 (:vimp:), is this the kind of thing that meshs with buddhism?

I dunno, I'd just feel kinda guilty calling myself a buddhist and then going and getting high:sadc: Not that it's something I do recreationally or all the time, but meh
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited September 2006
    KCF,
    welcome-any questions-farm 'em out in my direction if you like-glad to help.

P.S. I'm no expert, but many others are on this forum. In fact, just about everyone with names excluding the intial "X", seem to be right "up there".

The concept of questioning builds knowledge in the teacher as well as the student (well that's what I tell my students anyway-gees they're gullible).

cheers.
    Xrayman
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Thanks dude, nice to know this isn't one of those 'one step out of line and your doomed' religions. However, I mainly have a problem with the no drinking/drugs bit. I've used a fair few psychedelic drugs, and from the bit of research I did, Buddah kinda taught against using tehse kind sof things. Paradoxically, its because of them that I turned from a hardcore athiest to the agnostic-leaning-towards-buddhist that I am now. They have helped my spiritual growth emmencly (spelling?), and while I plan to be drug and alcohol free for 2008 (:vimp:), is this the kind of thing that meshs with buddhism?

I dunno, I'd just feel kinda guilty calling myself a buddhist and then going and getting high:sadc: Not that it's something I do recreationally or all the time, but meh

Welcome, Karmacornflake!

You are quite right that this is a place where dogma and doctrine are not used as sticks to beat people up You are also right that the precepts of Buddhism preclude the use of intoxicants - which hasn't stopped people using them in many ways, both skillfully and less so.

Go on feeling uncomfortable about calling yourself a Buddhist. The Awakened, being beyond categories, will also be beyond labels. 'Buddhism' risks becoming as debased a brand as Kabbalah in a grossly consumerist world.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2006
    KCF, welcome...
    To give you a really basic, simplistic and floor-level answer:

Buddhists everywhere Read, Mark and inwardly Digest the Four Noble Truths, studying them until their faultless and indisputable veracity dwells within....

We study, mark, read and inwardly digest the Eightfold Path, constantly mesuring and gauging our thoughts, words and deeds against the endless wisdom of their direction.... Note: I say direction, not rule.....

We study, mark, read and inwardly digest (as Laypeople....ordained Monks and Nuns have a far greater list) the First Five Precepts, and based upon these, and our own volition and desire, will-power and determination, or just sheer preference, act accordingly....

We know, taking into account the Kalama Sutra, that everything we come across merits scrutiny, appraisal, thought and cogitation, before we finally decide to accept any part of it, as our truth, or decide to leave it aside.

The Buddha himself gave these instructions, and included his own teachings.
    I would urge you to treat my posts - and all others - in the same fashion.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Welcome, Ms. Flake.

True, the Buddha did say that it's best not to use intoxicants, including drugs. You've been a Buddhist for a whole week, and you haven't changed yet!? Gosh, what a sluggard!

Actually I wouldn't start placing blame on myself if I were you. In Buddhism you start where you're at. You don't try to become something you're not overnight. Maybe with time, but give yourself a break! 2 weeks maybe...

Understanding the precepts and following them is a long process. Take it from one who's been a Buddhist over 30 years and is still trying to get it. One step at a time. I wouldn't even worry about it at this point. Just study, study, study, start doing some kind of simple practice like meditation a little at a time, ask questions until we turn blue in the face, and gradually, little by little, it'll come. No problem. Take the old-folks-on-the-farm approach. Ooops! I screwed up - again! No biggie, just try harder next time. All sentient beings screw up. So why get a complex?

Anyway, I think the seed has been planted, so that's the important thing. The rest will come with practice, study and experience. Are you located anywhere near a temple? That might help, to start going there if there is one. I mean, you don't have to get religious about it or anything, just go check it out.

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    Hi KCF - not to be confused with KFC - LOL

One of the fundamental techniques to help you in Buddhist practice is mindfulness - being aware of your surroundings, thoughts and feelings. You will find that after some meditation your awareness grows in this way. The reason why the Dharma suggests not taking intoxicants is they can interfere with your mindfulness. So, its a guideline to help with your meditation and practice of Buddhism. I find that I am not very mindful if I have too much to drink - but being human (not a Buddha just yet) I do like a glass of wine or beer now and a again. But I do not drink as often as I did because I am more aware of the effect on my practice - its a pragmatic decision.

End of lecture - have fun with your foray into Buddhism

DB