Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dalai Lama

edited September 2006 in General Banter
Hello Friends,
I just wanted to share with you that I did attend His Holiness' speech at the University of Buffalo on the 19th; Promoting peace across borders through education. I also joined the procession with the Monks from the Dreprung Loseling Monastery to disperse the sand from the Mandala into moving water to convey its special healing blessing to the world. Last was a talk by Lama Surya Das, a UB grad, and student with HHDL for eight years in India. This was the bigest event in the history of the university. It lasted all week, and thirty thousand people filled UB stadium to capacity to hear the Dalai Lama.
His Holiness talked for over an hour mainly about warmheartedness being the key to deeper satisfaction and happiness. He also said that the last century was a century of violence, and that we should make this century a century of dialogue. The local paper had this quote; "We need religous spirituality. Please practise sincerely and seriously. Religious teaching should be part of our daily life."
I just want to add what Lama Surya Das said about something I had noticed as well. That is the lack of media coverage, even though the Dalai Lama has been all over North America speaking for weeks now. He said their policy is "If it bleeds it leads."
My policy is share the good stuff.
May you be well, happy, and peaceful. Have a beautifull day!

Comments

• edited September 2006
    thank you ..simplelayperson

your absolutely right.. this stuff should be all over the news, in papers, on the nightly news, billboards that he is coming to visit, should be adds on the pc... and more. you are doing your part by spreading the good news, the hopfullness, the guidence thats so needed out there.. im sure some of the troops family would take comfort in hearing the highlights on the nightly news what the DL had to say..
    we had him here in vancover.. and they showed highlights everynight.
    unfortunetly i missed it.. but there is another viewing of all the nights put together.. i can catch that.
    anyway.. again i thank u for passin a comforting email.. i will pass along what you shared as well..
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    How wonderful, Jake! I'm so happy that you had the opportunity to experience such an important event. Whenever I hear about His Holiness speaking to a large group like that I feel very warm and hopeful, like Collen said. Thank you so much for letting us know about the event and I, too, wish the media would pay attention to positive things that are going on everyday in this world. We need hope just as much as we need information.
  • edited September 2006
    I decided to search and see if anyone had articles about his trip here in the US... I found this for the Buffalo event...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14921316/

and this for his stop in Denver...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14827209/

I found nothing on CNN.com
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Thank you, SLP.

Having spent the last few years trying to raise the Dalai Lama's profile in the national press, I can confirm that they do not want to know. I fear that I have had to come to the conclusion that there is another agenda here. Lama Surya Das has a point and I would also add another: editors depend, for their jobs, on advertising revenue and publisher goodwill. Here, in the UK, much of our media is dominated by the Murdoch Organisation which makes no secret of its support for Beijing. The media, aware of public love for HHDL, will allow an occasional picture and report, but avoid regular reporting.

If you want to construct a wider 'conspiracy', you could add the fact that Tibetan Buddhism is still seen through the lens of the exotic and the occult by illiterate editors who fear upsetting the increasingly vindictive neo-Christian extremists.

• edited September 2006
    An article from Fox News that mentions him briefly

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Sep17/0,4670,PeaceJam,00.html

Another from Fox news

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,215941,00.html?sPage=fnc.world/iraq

I had to really get down and search for these articles. It is a shame his visits do not get more attention. The events that he attends pretty much all sell out as far as tickets go so I don't understand it. Yes I know that people hide it if they do report it, but then why report it at all? When are people going to stop bowing down and think for themselves??

STP: The Murdoch group you speak of, is that the same as the Rupert Murdoch that runs most networks in the US?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2006

STP: The Murdoch group you speak of, is that the same as the Rupert Murdoch that runs most networks in the US?

Exactly the same!
  • edited September 2006
    Exactly the same!

that makes perfect sense then...
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Thanks for those links, LFA. It's nice to see that FoxNews generally has a positive view of His Holiness. That is reassuring to me, for whatever reason.

_/\_
    metta
  • edited September 2006
    not a problem not1not2... I'm still trying to see what other news services picked up a story or two about his US visit.
    edited September 2006
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22dalai+lama%22+%22university+of+buffalo%22

There's a lot of articles on this subject on the google search I ran, though most of them aren't from the major press.

_/\_
    metta
    edited September 2006
    Hey, I found the audio of his speech on this website.

Listen

Also, lot's of good stuff here.

_/\_
    metta
  • edited September 2006
    hmm

Now if the Pope came to the US it would be all over the news, on EVERY station and newspaper!
  • edited September 2006
    not1not2 wrote:
    Hey, I found the audio of his speech on this website.

Listen

Also, lot's of good stuff here.

_/\_
    metta

great I'll have to check it out at home later, thanks for the link!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2006
    Thanks, Not1! I always love audio links!
  • edited September 2006
    simplelayperson - How neat that you were able to do that! It all sounds so amazing and I can't wait to listen to some of those audio links posted.

Kim