Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Taking a trip to India/Tibet

YogYog
edited October 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I was wondering if people could tell me about taking a trip to India or Tibet, like which is a better place to go, where in India/Tibet, where on the net I can find places, personal experiences, and where I could stay for a while with no money? Info would be greatly appretiated.

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Well, first you have to realize that Tibet is part of China now, so you'll have to deal with Chinese bureaucracy and rules just to get in the country. I'll tell you up front they don't like Westerners who have little or no money. You may not even be able to get in. And don't expect to like what you see there. Things have improved since the days of the Red Guards, but not a whole lot. Tibetans are still treated as less than equal in their own land, and the Chinese still try to suppress the practice of Buddhism.

As for India, it's a lot more relaxed. However, you should carefully research the time of year you go (some of the year is unbearably hot, and it may not be the time of year you might expect). Also be very careful to check out any places you might want to go to. For example, many of the traditional places of pilgrimage related to Shakyamuni Buddha are located in the Indian State of Bihar, which is one of the poorest and overcrowded in India. This also makes it one of the most dangerous for a foreigner to wander around in.

As for places to stay for free, even Buddhist monasteries will charge you a small fee, so be prepared for that. It isn't much, dirt cheap by Western standards, but I didn't see any place where you could stay for free.

However, that said, India can be a delightful place to visit. I loved going there. My itinerary was quite different than most Westerners as we were traveling first to our mother monastery in Southern India and then on a pilgrimage to places associated with Mandarava in India (such as Tso Pema in Northern India) and Nepal (Marathika Cave). But I think generally if you use your head, don't get suckered in by con artists, and do a lot of research beforehand, you'll have a great time. Best of luck!

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    I spent two weeks in Calcutta (Kolkata) in 2004 and had a ball. I'm not kidding. Lots to see and do there and the food is outstanding. PM me for more information.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    If you are interested in supporting the refugee Tibetan businesses, I can let you have details of a travel agency, in India, run by Tibetans. PM me.
  • YogYog
    edited October 2006
    I am thinking of actually being a monk, do they let alot of monks in or will I have to do some searching around?
  • edited October 2006
    I thought of being a monk too, but why become a monk in India? as for being a monk in Tibet, I don't know much about it anymore but good luck.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Do you mean you want to become a monk in India? If so, I would strongly suggest you reconsider. You don't just walk in the door somewhere and say you want to be a monk. Doesn't work that way. Find a teacher here (wherever you live) first. Become a practitioner. Then maybe at some point, years from now actually, you make the request to become a monk. It's a lifetime decision and not one to be taken lightly. Take my advice, I've been a fully ordained monk for 13 years, and I've seen lots of people take robes who weren't at all ready to do so and the outcome has been predictable, i.e. they didn't make it. They ended up dropping their robes and abandoning the Dharma, which is extraordinarily bad karma. Not something you want to do.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    As for becoming a monk in Tibet, no way, ain't happening. If you're a native Tibetan, maybe, but no one else. Sorry.

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    I've thought of becoming a monk at the Great Vow Zen Monastery in Clatskanie, Oregon. Beautiful place, I grew up in the Northwest so it's basically my home.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I checked out their website, Craig, and I think that would be an excellent choice, imho. I've heard of the roshi there, Chozen Bays, and of course I've heard of Taizan Maizumi Roshi, one of the great Zen teachers of the 20th Century. Seems like a monastery with a very pure tradition. It also looks like a beautiful setting.

Palzang
  • YogYog
    edited October 2006
    So your saying that I should find a place in the US first and then find a master in India through them?

PS. India is where alot of the Tibetan buddhists including the Dalai Lama are. This would be my reason for going there.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Yog wrote:
    So your saying that I should find a place in the US first and then find a master in India through them?

PS. India is where alot of the Tibetan buddhists including the Dalai Lama are. This would be my reason for going there.

Well, there are a lot of Tibetan Buddhists in the West too. The ones in India often do not take Western students because their time is taken trying to provide for their Tibetan students and refugees under their protection. I would say you're much better off seeking a teacher here. It might seem more romantic to go to India, but in reality I would say you're better off here where the teachers (usually) and the sangha all speak the same language and come from similar backgrounds so you can relate better. That's my opinion. And of course not all the Tibetan Buddhist teachers in the West are Tibetan. Many are Westerners. My teacher, for example, was born and raised in Brooklyn. A number of other teachers have completed the training necessary to be a teacher (such as many of the teachers at Chagdud Gonpa centers). I think if you go to India seeking a teacher you might become disappointed and disillusioned. Being a student in Tibetan Buddhism is hard work. There's not much glory, just a lot of painful self-examination. That's true whether you do it here or in India or wherever. So I would recommend you look here first. At least that's my 2 cents!

That's not to say that a trip to India/Tibet wouldn't be of use. You could sort of soak yourself in the traditional lifestyle and get to know some people who have been Buddhists all their lives. You'd see a lot of beautiful places. But the way I look at it I'm an American and can never be a Tibetan (at least not in this life!). How much better to help create an American Buddhism! How auspicious! We're pioneers in this country. In India you'd be an oddity at best. You know what I mean? I'm not trying to throw cold water on your idea (I also once had such aspirations, to run off to Japan and be a Zen monk), just trying to give you some advice based on my experience.

Palzang
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited October 2006
    You might try to go to Dharamsala during the Kalachakra initiations. From what I've heard this is an inspiring event.

I agree with Palzang though. I would imagine most of the English speaking teachers are in the west. Having a teacher who does not speak your language well amidst a Sangha that doesn't either is quite an obstacle & should be avoided. There are plenty of great teachers here in the west. I'm sure that if you're willing to move to a completely foreign country, then moving around the country wouldn't be a big deal. So do some research & I imagine you'll find a good fit.

And I'm assuming you're either in the US or Europe. Here's the buddhanet directory for both, respectively:
    http://www.buddhanet.net/amdir_na.htm
    http://www.buddhanet.net/eurodir.htm

Hope this helps.

_/\_
    metta
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    not1not2 wrote:
    You might try to go to Dharamsala during the Kalachakra initiations. From what I've heard this is an inspiring event.

I am sure that it will be wonderful but I seriously doubt if there is an inch of space left in Upper or Lower Dharamshala for it. When I was there, HHDL decided, on a Tuesday, that he would hold a public audience on Thursday. You have never seen so many people arrive so fast and from so far away! On the Monday, McLeod Ganj had been its usual self and then, overnight, it was mayhem. Tables were set up so that people could sign in to attend the audience: the government of India demands full identification and recording of every person meeting HHDL or HHKL, even in a public audience. The queues stretched everywhere.

Another problem is that of water. That year (2001), the winter had been unusually dry and the town was very short of water. Some of the hotels and guest house were shut down to reduce use. There was no snow on the hills, either, that April, until we had a couple of days of rain later in the week. Having been warned that rainfall was high in the area, it was quite a shock. I found myself wondering and worrying about the impact on the infrastructure of so many pilgrims.

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Hey, Yog! Nice to meet you and please feel more than welcome to stick around if you feel like it. We'd love to hear more from you. If you do, I hope you find this place as helpful and fulfilling as I have. These people rock! They really do. They've taught me mountains of really important stuff.

So make yourself at home, put your feet up and enjoy the good company. Steer clear of Buddhafoot, though. He's trouble....;)
  • YogYog
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for that link.

Thanks also Brigid, I dont know of too many buddhist forums out there, so I might stop by here every now and then.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    We'll be here whenever you need us or just feel like visiting.