Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Heroes

edited October 2006 in General Banter
In the summer, I talked about a fight that had gone down in my school. A bully was beat up by a really nerdy kid. The bully cried and blead a good chuckle followed. The nerd was viewed as a hero at least for a day or two. But it brings up an interesting question. What is a hero? How do you define a hero?

America seems to have an obsession with them. Just look at our TV shows, comic books, legends, stories, myths. All about heroes with powers trying to make things right. My personal favorite has always been Batman. The movie 'Unbreakable' kind of went into this when a man with super human strength is reluctant to explore or even use it.

For thousands of years, humans have talked of heroes. They have been saviors, murderers, generals, priests, civil rights leaders, kings, queens, rebels, slaves, supermen, and just your common street person.

How do you define a hero?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Nothing so defines a society or culture as their heroes!

I wonder what Joseph Campbell would make of our current hypermythogenic machine (what a wonderful word I have just invented: hypermythogenesis = a period of time during which humanity generates large quantity of myth and story, to be followed by a period of debridement until one myth/story emerges as dominant and remains so for a stable period of time.)

I think that there is a strange and worrying hiatus between 'cultural' heroes which are proposed as 'role models' by the Establishment and personal heroes. This divide may be one of the drivers of cultural evolution and change.