Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Someone pleae asnwer my questions

edited October 2006 in Buddhism Basics
What happens to animals, like a pet, when they die? What did buddha say about spirits or ghosts? When a loved one dies why dont we just seek out their reincarnated self?

Please e-mail me at himdyl@yahoo.com

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2006
    himdyl,

In the Pali Canon, the Buddha described thirty-one various realms of existence. When any sentient being who has not removed the cause for rebirth (craving) dies, they are reborn into one of the Thirty-one Planes of Existence depending on the accumulation of their past actions.

Ghosts are beings which are born into the realm of hungry shades. They wander hopelessly about this realm, searching in vain for sensual fulfillment. One is reborn into this realm due to ten unwholesome actions (MN 10), lack of virtue, and holding to wrong views (AN 10.177).

Jason
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited October 2006
    My wife is into John Edward and james Van Praagh. both of whom she saw earlier last year here in Aus.

Our cat died (from a suspected poisoning by our ass**le neighbour).. My wifes father died later-according to her, John Edward looked straight at her ansd said "there are two JA's one here and one passed, (her dead dad and living brother share the initials JA) your father says-he has the cat!" so as far as I can tell-they share a similar realm as us humans when they/we die.

cheers
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Dear himdyl,

Jason already answered your question, so I won't add to what he said. I would just like to say that you can help your pets (or any animal) by repeating the OM MANI PADME HUNG mantra to them as often as you can. Just hearing the mantra, even though they don't understand it, can create the causes for a more fortunate rebirth as a human. Also if you live anywhere near a stupa, take the pet(s) around the stupa as many times as you can. This is particularly effective.

There is a story that one time an old man named Pelgye approached one of the Buddha's monks and asked to take ordination. The monk brought the old man to the Buddha, who examined the man to see if he had the merit necessary to take ordination. He looked and looked but could find none. Then he examined the man's past lives and found that once the man had been a wild pig. The wild pig was once chased by dogs around a stupa. The stupa had a crack in it, and the pig, wild with terror, had backed up to the stupa, wagging its tail in fright. The tail, which was smeared with mud, actually repaired the crack in the stupa. Even this unintentional merit was sufficient to allow the man to take ordination. So that is why it is important to do these things for your animals.

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    Hey guys, and welcome himdyl,

With regards to the 31 planes of existence. Being of Western mind i find it difficult to believe in such things literally. Will such disbelief become a hinderance to my practice, or can it be understood figuratively?

If it is a hinderance ( i know doubt is) how can this be removed?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2006
    twobitbob,

I honestly do not know if it is a hindrance per se; although, I can imagine that it makes understanding the rest of the Buddha's teachings a little more difficult—especially the connection between the twelve links of paticca-samuppada, kamma, and rebirth.

To remove doubt through conviction, one must study and contemplate the Buddha’s teachings; to remove doubt through direct experience, one must develop psychic powers through meditation and observe beings passing away and being reborn.

Sincerely,

Jason
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    This is sort of like the discussion on another thread about rebirth. My advice would be to just shelve it under "imponderables" for the time being and go on with my practice. Someday I think it'll all be clearer.

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    himdyl wrote:
    When a loved one dies why dont we just seek out their reincarnated self?

Because there is no "self" to reincarnate. What continues, what is reborn, is not the "self" as most people think of it. The loved ones we have known are gone. But what you do have is your memories of them. Cherish these memories.
  • edited October 2006
    Yes, I agree. While we have many stories about future or past existences, plains of existence, and afterlives, they are all just that...stories. We take them or leave them as we choose. But like others have said, all we have are the memories, whether good or bad of that passed person. It is the noblest thing to do for the dead if you simply live mindfully of their memories.