Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

simple unique way to stop nose bleeding

angulimalaangulimala Veteran
edited October 2006 in General Banter
hi all,
just want to share this technic with everyone,first put your hand in front of your chest/body,hook the middle fingers to each other,then pull your hand against each other for 5 seconds.i dunno this will work out or not, but i think there's nothing to lose trying it

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Thank you for sharing this, Angulimala. If you don't know if it works, do you recommend it?
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited October 2006
    simon,
    i think there's no big risk trying this technic, i believe that people wont die of nose bleeding for 5 seconds.if it didnt work out,we still could use the old way,using the tissue or turn the face upward(heard that it's not recommended to do so).thank you
  • edited October 2006
    I just don't understand HOW that would work?? I am very curious because I get a lot of nose bleeds.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    The correct, medically approved and proven way to stop a nosebleed is as follows:
    Locate the indented soft tissue directly below the bridge of the nose, and pinch it - and the nostrils shut - hard. Remain upright and relaxed, and continue for five minutes. If bleeding still persists, repeat. Do not pick or blow your nose hard for at least an hour afterwards...

If bleeding still persists, or bleeds are unusually frequent, consult a doctor.

Pull fingers indeed! Next thing you'll be telling me a loud bang cures hiccoughs.... Anybody know THEY are cured by a cold key dropped down the yer shirt.... :D
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    May I also point out that tipping the head back is not a good idea as blood will then run down the throat and may be inhaled.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I used to have a sensitive nose when I was young. Bled so much that I was kept away from chocolates (Gosh... Without chocs now I could break down).

My mother asked a well-respected-by-the-extended-family Buddhist monk for a remedy. (He's now based in Australia too, I believe)

His advice after calculating some stuff with his fingers? Take 3 dried longans everyday every morning at 9am till it improved.

It sort of worked. Hahas... :p
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    I just don't understand HOW that would work?? I am very curious because I get a lot of nose bleeds.

I can't say that I blame your husband.

-bf
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2006
    LOL.

Yea, I'm rather curious why after that do women get nosebleeds. (If we are all on the same page) Guess I should find out. :p
  • edited October 2006
    LOL!!! LOL!!! I was wondering where you were lately, and then you show up with something like this! That's why I like you so much.
  • edited October 2006
    I have always gotten nosebleeds...mostly when it is really dry out. I guess I am just prone to them. My brothers got them a lot as well, and one brother had to have his nose cautorized, and they wanted to do that to my nose, but then my brother told me how awful it was, so I decided not to let them! Even if I just blow my nose, sometimes it just starts to bleed. Maybe it's because I pick it all the time??? ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Women are more prone to nosebleeds, particularly during pregnancy due to hormonal changes, and fluctuations in blood supply/pressure...
    Yogamama may just have very sensitive and thin blood vessels in the nose, which are prone to damage... and certainly high dust and dry areas are going to exacerbate the problem...as will blowing the nose hard.

Cauterising is extreme. as is rhinectomy. (remobval of the whole schnoz. Not to be recommended. )

Picking...? Yech. That's just nasty......! :D
  • edited October 2006
    Or, it could be the fact that my husband does punch me in the nose every once in a while! ;)
    edited October 2006
    hi all,
    it's only my idea to try this method for other respiration problems.like sneezing cause by cold or allergy.i try it myself once,today actually.i dunno wether it really worked or just psychological effect, i felt my breathing smoother a bit. have to try it more another time:)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Or, it could be the fact that my husband does punch me in the nose every once in a while! ;)

Well, at least that's more socially acceptable than picking it! :eekblue:

(I'm just kidding....really!)

Palzang
    edited October 2006
    angulimala wrote:
    hi all,
    it's only my idea to try this method for other respiration problems.like sneezing cause by cold or allergy.i try it myself once,today actually.i dunno wether it really worked or just psychological effect, i felt my breathing smoother a bit. have to try it more another time:)

There is also the factor which has just struck me (so 'late in the day' I'm ashamed to admit.... Should have thought of this sooner!) that by exerting pressure on the fingers in such a way, you are stimulating acupressure/accupuncture points in the digits.... The middle finger is primarily associated with The Heart Protector Channel, on the inner Yin/palm side, and the Heart is the body's Emperor, and governs the Blood..... So it can be said that by exerting pressure on the HP channel, at the extremity, you are influencing and directing the flow of blood.....

Food for thought.
    edited October 2006
    federica wrote:
    There is also the factor which has just struck me (so 'late in the day' I'm ashamed to admit.... Should have thought of this sooner!) that by exerting pressure on the fingers in such a way, you are stimulating acupressure/accupuncture points in the digits.... The middle finger is primarily associated with The Heart Protector Channel, on the inner Yin/palm side, and the Heart is the body's Emperor, and governs the Blood..... So it can be said that by exerting pressure on the HP channel, at the extremity, you are influencing and directing the flow of blood.....

Food for thought.
    i knew this method from a gua sha instruction cd,so yes it's really based on traditional chinese medicine theory.
    and freddie,previously you mentioned that shocking or surprising people can stop hiccup.this story have correlation with it a little.i read this from the newspaper.it happened in colombia. an uncle wanted to heal his nephew's hiccup,so he put the gun on the nephew's head to surprised him, what happened next,the gun blew off. the effect is amazing,the nephew's hiccup is gone forever.panic after what have happened,he put the gun on his own head,and shot himself.