Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Your Own Buddhism

edited October 2006 in Buddhism Today
The Buddha's time was really not so different than our own. Their were questions pertaining to right and wrong, worship, religion, politics. People had the same problems of suffering, greed, hatred, and delusion. I think that is why Buddhism has thrived for so long.

But obviously our world does contrast. Technology, global wars, and all types of new moral situations have been the demise of long, unqestioned faiths. How might the Buddha have changed his teachings in our time? Would he have added anything? Or perhaps placed more emphasis upong other things?

The thing I found so striking about Buddhism when I first discovered it was the simplicity of it. There was no memorizations, authorities, or blind acceptance. There was just natural observances which could be verified and tested. In fact, it was encouraged. And then one could 'know for thyself.'

How have you adapted the teachings of the Buddha for our times? Have you added anything new due to culture or upbringing? Do you place more importance on certain aspects of Buddhism whether it be ethics or meditaion?

For me, Buddhism is wonderful at it's basics. But I have added a few more things to the 8-Fold Path.

For instance... Right Humor
Right Inquisition
Right Expression

Right Humor is necessary just to make life more enjoyable. I think I heard a saying once, 'He is enlightened who can laugh at himself.' Rather than wallowing in your seemingly mundane and pathetic existence, laugh at the situation. Like my friend says, 'When someone laughs at you, let it roll of and join the laughter.'

Right Inquisiton means being a skeptic. I think Voltaire said, 'Doubt is not a pleasant feeling, but certainty is absurd.' Challenge commonly held notions and don't believe something just because you were told to. I think the sermon to the Kalamas fits here perfectly.

Lastly, Right Expression means that you should have some means of channelling your mental energy. Be it music, art, reading, writing, archery, or any hobby. Humans rely on expression. It offers a sense of satisfaction and self-worth. And it can be fun too.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Well said. You expressed some of what I have been thinking. I's also maybe add:

Right Economic Participation: Right livelyhood teachs us to be mindfull of how we earn our money. Right Economic Participation teaches us to be mindful of how our resources are expended. Karma is generated on both ends of the income and expendature equation.

I see it as a complement to Right Livelihood.

Don't we both have to be crazy to have the arrogance to add to a Buddhist doctrine?!?!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Actually I don't think the Buddha missed anything!

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    I don't think the Buddha missed anything either, and I think one could "file" KoB's "additions" under elements of the Noble Eightfold Path. But I did find them really helpful in getting me thinking about how the Path applies to us today, so thank you KoB.

Martin.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    ....No, I agree, I don't think he did.... KoB, well done for highlighting your three observations...I take them into consideration, when I Consider Right View/Speech, Right Intention/Speech, Right Action/Speech... (I talk a lot....!)

Indeed, as one elderly lady put it - "Right Everything"..... !

Covers the bases....!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I think that KoB makes a useful point: the eight aspects of the Noble Path are multi-faceted themselves, as those of us who practise it have found.

Where I am not entirely in agreement is with the statement that "the simplicity of it. There was no memorizations, authorities, or blind acceptance. There was just natural observances which could be verified and tested. In fact, it was encouraged. And then one could 'know for thyself.'"

There is a vast amount to study, learn, and practise within the Buddhisms. As in a scientific study, we are encouraged to test the hypotheses, and various teachers have set out the method to use. No point in trying to separate the oxygen and hydrogen atoms of water with only a knife and fork!
  • edited October 2006
    Hmm...Interesting.

I think sometimes it can be helpful to clarify the teachings of the Buddha. It helps to put ancient teachings in a more modern light. Not to say that what the Buddha said is outdated. On the contrary, the teachings of the Enlightened are flourishing more than ever before especially in the West. But keep in mind that when the Buddha taught to different people, he explained things differently. The same applies to our modern world.

I suppose to sum up the entire path, Buddhism is simply 'Awareness' and 'Moderation'. But as Fed said here...'Right Everything'.

*As a side note, I apologize for the poor grammar in parts. I reread it and am trying to fix them. I am a stickler for correct grammar in writing, not in talking.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    True, but don't forget that he always ultimately taught the same thing - one teacher and one teaching.

Palzang