Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Youth Liberation

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited October 2006 in General Banter
*WARNING: This is a political rant*

For decades, we struggled and, in 1970 in the UK, equal pay for men and women doing similar work became the law.

This year, new legislation outlawed discrimination on the grounds of age.

Young people are, however, still paid less on the minimum wage than older ones.

Is it time for a Youth Liberation struggle? Where is the equity? Are the young our new slaves, chattels or "n*gg*rs"?

Comments

• edited October 2006
    nna tbh under 18's don't need it as much.. i think that min wage is more a problem in USA
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    nna tbh under 18's don't need it as much.. i think that min wage is more a problem in USA

They used to say the same about women's pay: it's oly pimoney; and about non-white races and the 'lower classes'.

As Matthew Fox points out: so long as we go on using he language of the slave-owners, we go on supporting slavery, being slaves.

Perhaps the old don't need as much, either, or single people. Let's pay them less, irrespective of the work they do!
  • edited October 2006
    lol im just saying.. like under 18's.. mostly live with parents and they aren't valued as much as other employees. and the min wage isn't as much as a prob here.. in usa is much lower.

most under 18's only stay for like 1 or 2 years and then leave for uni

i've never met a under-18 tha complained much about it.. althought i know they'd like higher wages
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    lol im just saying.. like under 18's.. mostly live with parents and they aren't valued as much as other employees. and the min wage isn't as much as a prob here.. in usa is much lower.

most under 18's only stay for like 1 or 2 years and then leave for uni

i've never met a under-18 tha complained much about it.. althought i know they'd like higher wages

Maybe that's precisely the problem. It took decades before a 'critical mass' of women demanded the suffrage. I am worried by the de-politicisation of youth.
  • edited October 2006
    but we are talking about 2 years.. i don't think they care much.. with women it was their entire lives, thats a huge difference

yes majority of young ppl aren't very interested in politics as they are licking a member of the opposite sexe's face.. but its just the way ppl are here.. society,politics,education and so much else have to change first..

the west is the problem