Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ignorance and Buddhism....

edited June 2005 in Buddhism Basics
This is just a story that happened to me yesterday that goes to show how ignorant some people are when it comes to religion.

Yesterday afternoon I was on my way to “Change your mind day” in the park. A gathering held to introduce the general public to Buddhism, for those who aren’t familiar with it here’s the link http://www.tricycle.com/foundation/change.html.

Anyhow, I ended up at the wrong place and decided to ask a women working there for help. After asking her, she thought for a moment and then replied “ Oh, that voodoo convention, it’s right down the road.” It took me a second to realize that we were talking about the same thing. Voodoo??? But, instead of getting into it with her I simply corrected her and said thank you.

In reality I was appalled that she had the audacity to make such an assumption. Just because it’s a religion other than Christianity or Judaism it can be grouped in the same category as voodoo. Now thinking back I wish I would have explained to her the tremendous differences between the two. But then again, I wonder if it’s even worth the time and effort trying to explain something to such an ignorant person? :banghead: I don’t know.

Comments

• edited June 2005
    Perhaps it was you that had the audacity to assume she would know the difference between Buddhism and Voodoo.

One of the greatest gifts is the gift of the Dharma - with that in mind maybe a good response would have been to carefully ask the woman where she heard such things about Buddhism and then give her your opinions on the two religions.

If you don't have the time to explain things to ignorant people who are you going to explain them to?

:)
  • edited June 2005
    Okay fair enough...But, I suppose it was her condescending tone that led me to draw that assumption in the first place. And yes, I do agree that in some cases it is worth taking the time to explain misconceptions to those who don't quite understand, but at the same time, I also feel that they have to be willing hear it, and quite frankly, In this instance I don't believe that was the case. :(
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Ok I will share my story. A mormon guy at work. I mentioned when I started that I was Buddhist and he said "this isn't japan. Why would someone be that?" I told him "this isn't the middle east. Why would someone be Christian?". At the time I was a little miffed. I get along with the guy pretty well except when the discussion turns into religion. He also believed we pray to Buddha. I have told him Christianity is based on ignorance and I have also said some really cruel things. Well since I have found this site last week I am viewing things differently. I feel like this forum is a place of meditation for me. I can speak to others who are going throught the same things I do and I can get some great help form Buddhists who have been doing this for years and it has helped me to further my understanding. Sometimes we tell ourselves we should be tolerant of oters. I think we should be accepting of others. Accept the fact that this woman doesn't know. Don't get frustrated with her. She will probably never be able to see 2 feet in front of her face. But you should at least try. Back to mormon guy. After finding this site I had another conversation withhim the other day and he was very receptive to the things I had learned. I always thought of him as closed minded but in actuality it was me that was closed minded in my openmindedness. I mean by that that I was so focuesed on being open minded that my mind closed up to the fact that others are not.
  • edited June 2005
    Now you know why they call it the middle path...
  • edited June 2005
    It does not take that long to decide whether an intelligent reply is worth the energy when confronted with some statements and attitudes. The mind behind the question is usually closed tight from years of indoctrination and the foregone conclusion that, if you don't believe like it does, then you are obviously a godless heathen. Living in the land of the Fundadmentalists, I get enough practice at ignoring stupid remarks that they don't jerk my chain the way they used to.

My favorite in recent memory:
    "You're a Christian, aren't you?"
    "No, I'm Buddhist."
    "Really?" than a pause... "But you still worship Jesus, don't you?"

There have been a lot of really dumb ones like, "That's one of them Communist religions, ain't it?"
    reply: "No, it's one practiced mostly by intellectuals."

I tell myself that tolerating even the questions that are intended to be hurtful is another step towards Enlightenment. (If that doesn't count, please don't disillusion me!)
    edited June 2005
    omni wrote:
    I tell myself that tolerating even the questions that are intended to be hurtful is another step towards Enlightenment. (If that doesn't count, please don't disillusion me!)

Maybe you should accept the comments and not tolerate them.
  • edited June 2005
    Maybe you should accept the comments and not tolerate them.

Yes, you are correct, but accepting with an open mind and filing away for consideration takes more practice than I have had. Tolerating with a smile after quick evaluation and not filing them in the "to be considered" drawer is the best I can manage at present.
    edited June 2005
    I am off and on. Depends what mood I am in. I just strive towards acceptence even though sometimes I just tolerate. :)