Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wyoming - anyone know anything about it?

edited October 2006 in General Banter
This is not Buddhist related at all.....

We are looking for a new place to live, and Jackson Hole, Wyoming looks absolutely gorgeous, and exactly the kind of place we would love. Anyone ever been to Wyoming, or know anything about it? Cost of living, availability of jobs, school system, weahter, etc??

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    The daughter of my former boss lives there, somewhere. Not many jobs of any quality (unless waiting tables in tourist places is what you're looking for). Most of the state is ranches and public lands. Pretty yes, easy place to make a living? No, probably not. But on the bright side, I hear they have gay cowboys there!

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    I am ok with the gay cowboys, but not being able to find a good job might make things difficult. Bummer...oh well, maybe we can retire there one day!

So how can I find a good place to live, based on certain criteria? Anyone know of a good website for that?
  • edited October 2006
    My mother lived in Wyoming for 16 years and my step-father grew up there. I can find out any questions you have. They still have family there and my step sister still lives there. I believe my mom has a time share in Jackson Hole and has spent a lot of time in the area. She lived in Lovell WY If you want me to ask her anything PM me if you'd like and I'd be glad to get you some answers for you.

Don't you live in MO now? or have you moved? I love to research places to live. Let me know where all your thinking about and I'll let you know sites if it's a place I have already researched......

There is a cool site......i'll try and find it for you that you answer questions and then it tells you the best places for you to live according to your answers and all about those places......It's kind of fun........and informative.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    My advice? Find a good astrologer and see where it would be auspicious for you to move to. No, I'm not being facetious. I know of an excellent just up the road in Flagstaff if you're interested. Or you could pick a place and do a MO on it. No, that's not an abbreviation for Missouri! (well, it is, but not in this case) It's an old Tibetan divination device. I've used it, and it's quite amazing. When I got ordained, I did one just for the heck of it. You first do an invocation of Manjushri and then roll two dice with different Tibetan symbols on them. I rolled two AHs the first time - which is the most auspicious possible result. I thought, ah, that's malarkey. I probably didn't shake them up enough. So I did it again. Guess what came up!

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    My advice? Find a good astrologer and see where it would be auspicious for you to move to. No, I'm not being facetious. I know of an excellent just up the road in Flagstaff if you're interested. Or you could pick a place and do a MO on it. No, that's not an abbreviation for Missouri! (well, it is, but not in this case) It's an old Tibetan divination device. I've used it, and it's quite amazing. When I got ordained, I did one just for the heck of it. You first do an invocation of Manjushri and then roll two dice with different Tibetan symbols on them. I rolled two AHs the first time - which is the most auspicious possible result. I thought, ah, that's malarkey. I probably didn't shake them up enough. So I did it again. Guess what came up!

Palzang

We use dowsing over here, as some do over there, too. The results are often very startling.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited October 2006
    http://swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWizard/layoutscripts/coll_start.asp?frmaction=&clickwatchname=salsal_homcol_col_click.gif&presentsalary=35000&x=34&y=15
    For my business class last year, we had to research different majors and potential jobs, and our teacher gave us this site to guesstimate our future salaries according to where we went to school/lived. Pretty interesting stuff, hopefully it shall help you ^_^
  • edited October 2006
    I don't know a thing about Wyoming other than how breathtakingly beautiful it was when I drove across it this past spring. I can't think of a more lovely place to land.
  • edited October 2006
    Hey deb - I thknk I know which site you are talking about. I did that, and it said I should live in Washington, Oregon, Wyoming, or New Mexico. All of which are wonderful places and I would be more than happy there.

As for questions to ask your mom, I guess I am just curious about the job market there. Are there many jobs available? What's the weather like in the Jackson Hole area? What are some of the areas that are close to Jackson Hole, but have affordable housing? You know, like homes that do not cost 3 million dollars???!!!

You can pm me if you'd like! Thanks for your help.
  • edited October 2006
    Palzang wrote:

Palzang

Hi Palzang! :)

I will look into finding a good astrologer. If I lived closer to Flagstaff, I would love to go see the one you know. Unless it can be done over the phone or something like that?? Funny you mentioned Flagstaff...I was looking at homes there just the other day. :) We LOVED going up to Flagstaff when we were living in Phoenix. What's the name of the big mountain there? Mount Humphreys?? My husband and I hiked that several times.

How do I do an "MO" on a place? That sounds very interesting and I would love to do that!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2006
    My advice?

Find out what is important to you. If one of you is wanting to stay in their current career - then you need to find a locale that would allow you to find gainful employment.

If that is not a concern and you both are willing to take whatever work you can find - that will make your search a little easier. Although, like someone else here said, will bussing tables in a local roadside coffee-house / truck stop meet your needs when you've been working in Human Resources or and engineering firm for the last 10 years???

I like it where I live. Not too big - not too small. I know people from California are moving up here in droves because of the area and how cheap the housing is (but it is going up quickly!).

-bf
  • edited October 2006
    bf - where do you live again?

My husband is in the finance/banking industry, so he could find a job in that field just about anywhere. I work part-time and am in accounting, so that's fairly easy as well. But I am flexible and have good experience in other areas, so that helps.

We want to live someplace where there is a lot of outdoor activities available, good weather for gardening, good schools for our daughter and just a good "family place". And obviously, being able to find a job is important. When we lived in Phoenix, we loved it there, other than the ridiculously hot summers, and you can't really garden there year round.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    ....And being closer to BF would be cool fer you all....!:thumbsup:
  • edited October 2006
    I know - I could really pester him if I lived closer to him.
    edited October 2006
    Well, everyone knows Yoda and I have this "thang" going on...

Just more fuel for the fires...

Back that thang up, beyotch!

-bf
  • edited October 2006
    Yep, that's the rumor I keep hearing too!

Heck, forget being your neighbor. We can just move in with you! How do you feel about snakes? We have two of them for "pets" right now.

"Back that thang up, beyotch"???? Ummm...ok! Here you go!
    edited October 2006
    Snakes? Snakes are fine.

Just no spiders. My girlfriend F*R*E*A*K*S O*U*T when it comes to spiders.

There was one time when she saw a spider crawl into her underwear drawer... I think she burned every pair of panties that were in that drawer.

-bf
  • edited October 2006
    She wouldn't care for my daughter then. She loves spiders. Not too long ago, she was letting this "daddy long leg" crawl all over her for a long time. The spider just kept doing circles around her head and crawling on her tummy. She thought it was great.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Hi Palzang! :)

I will look into finding a good astrologer. If I lived closer to Flagstaff, I would love to go see the one you know. Unless it can be done over the phone or something like that?? Funny you mentioned Flagstaff...I was looking at homes there just the other day. :) We LOVED going up to Flagstaff when we were living in Phoenix. What's the name of the big mountain there? Mount Humphreys?? My husband and I hiked that several times.

How do I do an "MO" on a place? That sounds very interesting and I would love to do that!

Actually she does do phone consultations. I can PM you her contact info. I like Flagstaff too. It's the only place in Arizona with four actual seasons, and it never gets too cold or too hot. It's also very pretty. The peak is Humphrey's Peak, the tallest in Arizona, and the mountains it's in are the San Francisco Peaks. Humphrey's is sacred to the Navajo and is considered the home of the Kachinas (pronounced Katsina, by the way). Certainly there are jobs there as they do have a fair amount of industry and stuff, plus a big regional hospital. Flag is one of the two main Honkey supply sites for the Navajor rez, so they do a lot of business with the Navajos and the Hopis, which makes it an interesting place to live. Northern Arizona U., for instance, is one of only two colleges that teaches Hopi and Navajo languages (the other is a community college on the Rez, and that I think only teaches Navajo). The cost of living in Flag is much more moderate than Sedona too.

You should be able to buy a MO divination set either at like a New Age store or online, maybe Snow Lion (www.snowlionpubs.com). You do it by doing a short Manjushri practice first and then rolling the dice. I think the practice comes with it. Been a while since I've done it. Divination can be a little creepy actually because it can be really accurate!

Happy hunting (for a place to live, that is)!

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    Thank you, Palzang! And yes, I would love to get your friends information.

Flagstaff is gorgeous! I had no idea how involved they were with the Navajo's and that is so neat that they teach the languages at college. How wonderful.

As for the MO Divination set, is this what you are talking about:

http://www.spiritualtools.org/product_info.php?products_id=208
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    As for the MO Divination set, is this what you are talking about:

http://www.spiritualtools.org/product_info.php?products_id=208

No, this is: http://www.snowlionpub.com/search.php?in_item_id=586.

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    Oh good, that is a lot less expensive! :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Oh good, that is a lot less expensive! :)

I'm sure that you have a favourite ring. Attach it to a fine cotton thread, about 12" long. And there you are: an instant pendulum, already attuned to you, which you can use for dowsing. All you now need to do is to 'calibrate' it which consists of finding questions to which you know the answer so that you can understand the swing of the pendulum. You can use it over maps, medication, foods or, even, outdoors, although I prefer to use rods in the open air as the wind is less likely to affect them.

It's a fun thing to do with our kids because there are always surprises.
  • edited October 2006
    Another great idea! Thank you. I will give that a try. Although, I think we are really leaning towards the idea of moving to Washington. Our very good friends are planning on moving to Vancouver within 1-2 years, and our daughters are best friends. Our friends are going to school right now to be dentists, and have already asked me to manage their office for them up there when they get started, so I already have a job lined up. I think we are going to take a trip up to Washington next year sometime.

But I am still going to try the pendulum idea and the MO Diviniation set idea.