Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha's Palm

edited October 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone, I had recently purchase a clay statue of the Buddha's Palm with a Dharma Wheel in the center during one of my travels. Can anyone tell me the significance of it?

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    In the early days following the Buddha's death (or parinirvana in Buddha-speak) he was never depicted in images. Usually there was a symbol used to represent the Buddha, such as the Bodhi Tree under which he sat when he attained enlightenment. Another was the footprint of the Buddha (Buddhapada), such as the one you have. The Dharma Wheel on the sole represents, of course, the teachings that the Buddha gave when he was alive. I also think it is one of the 32 marks of an enlightened being. You could think of the footprint as symbolizing the path of the Buddha that we follow.

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    The Lakkhana sutta of the Digha Nikaya describes all 32 of the marks and what they symbolize. I found a copy of it online here

It seems that the wheels on the palms, in strictest terms, are apocryphal, being a hybrid of two characteristics, namely (2.) that he has wheels on the soles of his feet and that (5.) he has "net-like" hands and feet. On this latter mark there is some disagreement about what is exactly being described. Traditionally it is often interpreted to mean the fingers and toes are webbed, but some believe it refers to the appearance of the network of lines on the palms and soles and fingers; though the lakkhana sutta pretty clearly describes it as referring to the way the fingers and toes are spread (i imagine it means evenly spaced and radiating out from a center: "His toes and fingers netwise spread"). In any case, the Lakkhana sutta gives the symbolic significance of each mark.

The wheel on the sole of the foot represents:
    Being endowed with this mark, if he keeps to the household life, he will become a wheel turning righteous monarch of the law, conqueror of the four quarters who has established the security of his realm and is possessed of the seven treasures. These are: the Wheel Treasure, the Elephant Treasure, the Horse Treasure, the Jewel Treasure, the Woman Treasure, the Householder Treasure, and, as seventh, the Counselor Treasure. He has more than a thousand sons who are heroes, of heroic stature, conquerors of the hostile army. He dwells having conquered this sea-girt land without stick or sword, but by justice, he rules over this earth as far as its ocean boundaries, a land open, un-infested with brigands, free from jungle, powerful, prosperous, happy and free from perils. As a ruler, how does he benefit? He has a great retinue: he is surrounded by Brahmin householders, citizens and villagers, treasurers, guards, doorkeepers, ministers, tributary kings, tenants in chief, and pages. That is his benefit as a ruler. And if he goes forth into homelessness, he will become a fully enlightened Buddha...as such, how does he benefit? He has a large retinue: he is surrounded by monks, nuns, laymen and laywomen, devas and humans, asuras, nagas, and gandhabbas. That is his benefit as a Buddha." This was what the Lord declared.

And the net-like hands and feet:
    "Being endowed with these two marks, as a ruler, how does he benefit? All his retinue are well disposed to him: Brahmin householders, citizens and villagers, treasures, guards, doorkeepers...pages. As a Buddha, how does he benefit? All his followers are well disposed to him: monks, nuns, laymen and laywomen, devas and humans, asuras, nagas, gandhabbas. That is his benefit as a Buddha." This is what the Lord declared.

To comment, it seems that the wheel represents that everywhere he goes he will turn the wheel of dhamma (preach, reveal), the thousand spokes of the wheel representing the multitude of followers. The net-like arrangement of fingers and toes means that he "ensnares" all into faithfulness and discipline through his kindness and pleasantness (softness of the hands and feet).

I do not know at what point the wheels appeared on the hands.

in friendliness,
    V.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I do not know at what point the wheels appeared on the hands.

Why, at birth, of course! :)

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    ...But was it though....? Given that the Wheels are symbolic of the Dharma and the Eightfold Path, which he did not 'formulate' until after his enlightenment - why would they have appeared at birth?

Or am I missing a (humorous) point? :o
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Well, obviously I was being a smart-ass, but on the other hand, do you really think Siddhartha invented Buddhism? He was, after all, the fourth Buddha of our auspicious age.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Yes....Well.....no....Quite.

Exactly my point.

More or less. :lol: