Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Making a Difference

edited November 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. While I am here on this earth, I really want to make some sort of a difference in this world. I do my best with caring for the environment, and I do my best to raise a wonderful little girl so that she can hopefully make a difference in this world.

Anyways, I have a hard time coming up with ideas for what else I can do in this world. Anyone have any good ideas on what they are doing, or have done to make a difference? To make this world a better place?? I keep trying to sign up for volunteering for different things, but I fill out all the forms and never hear back. Isn't that odd? Maybe they don't think I would be a good volunteer? :-/

Kim

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    What are we here for? I can't imagine that anyone has not asked it, and been dissatisfied with most of the answers.

There is a body of opinion that we are the makers of our own meaning to our lives, that when we look back from our deathbeds, we may be able to see how we gave our own lives some meaning in a universe whose meaning (if any) is too vast to comprehend.

Others, like dear James Hillman, believe that we are like the acorn and, if we cultivate what was there from the beginning, we grow into the oak we were born to be. He cites Yehudi Menuhin as an example of someone who, not knowing what he was to become, rejected a toy, tin violin as a tiny child, demanding a proper instrument even before he had played one.

Shakespeare says that "some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them". You can read that as a meaning to their lives. For some people, meaning comes from accident or serendipity. Take Dr Barnado, for example. A Victorian cleric, his ambition was to go on the China Mission. While holding meetings to raise money to go out there, he was shown the children sleeping rough on the roofs of London, dying of hunger and exposure. Overnight, he changed tack and began the work that continues today.

I have often wondered if Jesus asked himself the same question: "Isn't there more to life than just making a table or two?" Whilst we are not all going to decide to teach a new doctrine, we can make our lives matter, which is nearly as good as giving them meaning. We do it by service, as Palzang will tell you. When we serve others, be they our own family or the greater human family or the wider world, we matter. For me, this is the best that we can do - there is no better.
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I'm a big proponent of the "everyday" sort of service. In my little street, it's very trashy due to a street car that comes by 18 hours a day, school kids coming by dropping stuff, etc. Once every couple days, I go out and pick up the trash. It's my own little "service" for my block of the street. No one really sees me and the point isn't to have others see me, I do it because I want a less trashy place where I live.

On other threads, I've also advocated "brightening others' day" by interacting with them in service encounters. It's so easy to see service people as "impersonal" when, in fact, they're me. Smiling, asking them how their day is, telling them things I liked about the store, co-complaining about the weather, whatever. My goal is to make that person look at me and smile to shake off the impersonality of the role he or she happens to be playing at that moment.

I also do lots of little things for my partner. Wash the dishes when she's away, pick up stuff I've left around for days at a time, mop the floor, etc. etc. I'm saying this because she thinks I'm being "sweet" but in fact, I do it as a form of service to both of us.

Brad Warner on his blog has a marvelous passage that speaks exactly to the idea of "service":
    We’re all worried about solving stupid koans and having Enlightenment experiences, finding ourselves, and all that nonsense. But one of the most important aspects of Buddhist philosophy is that we do not live our lives just for ourselves. We exist for the people and things we encounter as much as we exist for ourselves.

The point is: you can better the world by how you conduct yourself one moment at a time. Your actions matter. You are the manifestation of your practice.

What a lovely thread. Thanks.

Peace,

P.S. I hope you're weathering your storm OK, YM. You're in my thoughts.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    I can add nothing of any great value that Simon and Quest haven't expressed... But the thread is a shining example of Making a Difference... Dont't you see YM, that simply by being here, and doing this - you do precisely what it is that you'd like to do?
  • edited October 2006
    Simon, I love your idea of "serving others". I have been trying to do a better job of that lately. And I will continue to work on that aspect of my life. I am also working on being more generous.

Questzener - I remember a thread we had a while ago on here with this same sort of subject and with you mentioning how polite and friendly you are to people you come into contact with. I love that! Just making people feel better is so important to me. And, more importantly, is there REALLY a place in California called "Crunchyopolis"?? :)

Fede, my dear sweetie.....thank you for those kind words. I do realize that by just being here, I can make a difference in this world, but I just feel like I should do more. Know what I mean?
    edited October 2006
    Just as great avalanches can start from the fall of a few small pebbles, so joy can come from apparently insignificant happinesses.

Each morning, as I go into town for my paper and the single coffee I allow myself per day, I see unhappy shopworkers or street sweepers. I have made it my personal goal to help at least one person smile or laugh who was previously morose. It lights up my day and, I hope, brings a little fun into otherwise drab work. I would be quite happy if my epitaph read: "He brought a smile a day".
  • edited October 2006
    Simon, I have no doubt that your epitaph WILL in fact say just that. :)
  • edited October 2006
    I came across this particular website and thought about how I was making a difference in the lives of animals, and just thought I would share with you how we can all make a difference in the area of factory farming. Now, I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, or for people to think I am a "vegan nazi", because I am not. I don't judge or criticize others that do not follow the same diet as me and my family. And, of course, I realize that some products that are organic, or free range are not always availabe, or too expensive. Anyways, here are some helpful hints when grocery shopping:

As citizens and consumers, we can all help bring an end to the cruelty of factory farming. The following humane hints will help you take action for animals:

Choose only free range or organic meat, milk and eggs. These are produced in farming systems where the animals can roam freely and behave more naturally.

Look out for labels such as ‘free range‘, ‘organic‘, or ‘outdoor reared‘. These labels mean that the animals were reared without cages and crates.

Beware of labelling terms such as ‘fresh‘, ‘farm fresh‘, ‘country fresh‘, or ‘farm assured‘. These labels mean nothing about animal welfare, and the products are often produced on a factory farm.

Urge your local store to stock more free range and organic produce. Congratulate those that already do.

Just wanted to share that with everyone here.

Kim
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Those are extremely important things to be looking for, Ym, as anyone who has witnessed how factory farming works will tell you. Thanks for bringing this up, YM.

I've reconnected with a dear friend from Wales recently and she's a vegan. She's been teaching me, bless her, and although I'm not vegan (just vegetarian) I find that as I put her suggestions into practice I fall more and more into line with my idea of living mindfully in the world. This is an area in which everyone can do something to make the world a better place and it doesn't matter if you eat meat or not. These things get overlooked too often in everyday life and we can change that, little by little, day by day.

Thanks Yogamama. This issue is one of the farthest reaching and most important issues affecting all of us because it not only concerns what we eat but how we live and if we're going to survive as a species on this planet. Factory farming is about the environment, world economics, the distribution of land and labour and the politics of economically poorer areas of the world and their domination by richer areas of the world. When we take notice of this one issue and take action we're actually having an effect on many, many other issues and the ultimate health of the world at large.
    edited October 2006
    "Think globally. Act locally."

In my home town, we are lucky enough to have a weekly Farmers' Market which is essentially organic and free-range. Few of the traders come from more than 100 miles away so that there are few 'food miles' added to what we buy. Fruit and vegetables are interesting shapes which are rejected by the supermarkets.

What is noticeable, apart from the crowds that fill our market square every Saturday, is that, on average, prices are somewhat higher than the nearby supermarkets - of which we have three large and some smaller ones. And the majority of customers appear to be middle class and generally well-off.

One of the great problems associated with food choice and reduction in food miles must be the question of cost. Large swathes of humanity get less food than they need (let alone less than they want) because they are poor. Cheap food, produced in large quantities, has been the approach the world has taken, although it should be noticed that it is the rich countries such as our own which appear to benefit most. Additionally, much 'organic' produce comes from Africa. Green beans are an example in the UK: very popular in 500g, ready-trimmed, pre-packed lots. Unfortunately, the popularity of this product has meant that it is now grown as a cash crop in countries such as Kenya and has replaced previous multi-culture with this water-hogging mono-culture. The results, locally, are likely to be catastrophic, both in terms of water usage and of the loss of self-sufficiency. Governments prefer cash crops, from which they can raise tax revenue, to self-sufficient small holdings, so that they give initial incentives to farmers to plough up the old fields and replace them with exportable produce.

Alongside this is the wholesale removal of cooking and 'domestic science' from the school curriculum so that young people leave school without any idea of how to work with basic ingedients or what is involved with food hygiene (food poisoning is also on the increase).

It is our demand for cheap food which drives the decimation of African farms and Amazonian rainforest, without actually feeding the starving. Whilst we are unlikely, as individual families, to change the policies of the supermarkets, if enough of us refuse to buy cheap from far away, if we buy seasonally and cook for ourselves, if we teach our children to do the same, we may, in time, come back to some sort of sanity. Demanding strawberries in winter or spring greens in autumn wrenches the world out of shape. Together and bit by bit, we can help to put it back in shape.

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Also please remember that the greatest service you can do for anyone, in fact, the only way you can actually be of ultimate benefit to anyone, is to seek enlightenment yourself. That's really why we're all here on this planet, and why we've been reborn as a human.

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    Thank you for that reminder, Palzang. :)

Simon - you are so right...just last night my husband and I were talking about how the majority of grocery stores, or the companies that produce all of the processed foods don't care a thing about the health of people - they just care about the cheapest way to make the "food" and how they can make more money from it. Me and my family only eat things that are in season, and like you, we have the farmer's markets in our area that come by every weekend. I love going there. I hope you are right about how if we all continue to do these things, eventually, our planet will be in better shape than it is now. I want my grandhchildren, great grandchildren, etc to be able to survive on this planet!

Brigid - I am glad you enjoyed the information! :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Well said, Simone.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    I apologise unreservedly (particularly to YogaMama) for hjacking the thread, but it seemed a good place to post this...

I do not however, want anyone to feel obligated to do this, but if you could, it may well "Make a Difference"...

A favor to ask, it only takes a minute....

Please tell ten friends to tell ten today! The Breast Cancer site is having trouble getting enough people to click on their site daily to meet their quota of donating at least one free mammogram a day to an underprivileged woman. It takes less than a minute to go to their site and click on "donating a mammogram" for free (pink window in the middle).

This doesn't cost you a thing. Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate mammogram in exchange for advertising.

Here's the web site! Pass it along to people you know.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Come onto the thread as often as you'd care to, and give a little click....
    As you were..... ;)
  • edited October 2006
    No apology needed, fede! That is exactly what this thread is for. And I am glad you reminded me to do that. It's been a while since I visited their site.

Thank you for the reminder. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Awesome, Fede! I've saved their site and I'll do some clicking every day. Thanks for putting this up here. It's the perfect thing for this thread, as YM said, and something I can actually do, which is wonderful.
  • edited October 2006
    I just got this postcard in the mail yesterday, asking for a donation to help feed hungry people during the holiday season. So I just checked out their website, and thought it was so great. Check out their link for a "Virtual Food Drive". I love it! You can place food items in a shopping cart, and then you pay for those items, and the organization gets the items. Wonderful. Here's the website in case anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.harvesters.org/

Has anyone ever worked in a "Soup Kitchen"? If so, I'd love to hear your experience. I am thinking of doing it.
    edited October 2006
    Yoda,

Not to pull my pants down and taking huge, steaming dump on your coffee table.... BUT!...

I don't know how this site works - but many times, when you donate money to your local food bank, they get great deals from the places they buy food from.

I've heard that $10.00 is equivilent(sp?) to $100.00 because of the buying power, the special programs, etc. that suppliers give local food banks.

Food banks are definitely a good way to go and I usually trundle all of my money to my local one.

-bf
    edited October 2006
    Cool site.

After reading it - it seems they do the same as our local food bank! They can turn $1.00 into $5.00.

I'd take those odds in Vegas - but only when I was there doing humanitarian work and meditating.

-bf
  • edited October 2006
    so I guess you can keep that huge, steamy dump to yourself??
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Uh huh... :lol:

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    LMAO, YM!

My oldest sister Sine (pronounced sheena) volunteers at missions during Christmas and has been doing it for years. She says that it's the most meaningful experience she has all year. She's heavy into the whole rainbows, fairies and unicorns sort of thing but she says that it's only during those hours when she's volunteering that she really, really feels the "spirit" of Christmas. My biggest regret in this life is that I didn't get up off my ass to do more volunteering before I became disabled. I'd kick myself for it if I could. I suppose I could hit myself over the head with my cane....hmmm.....(once a Catholic...)
    edited November 2006
    :lol::lol: Boo, you are sooo right! Hard to shake off the sackcloth & ashes thang....!

I know it may sound puerile, but it's sometimes the little things that mean a lot... a house is just bricks and mortar, but without the mortar, it's not going to stand fo long....

The little smiles, the caring gestures, the simple 'Good morning' to the person you pass in the street.... everything can go to making a difference to that person's day, you never know.
    Practising small random acts of kindness....It all adds up.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, I totally agree. I wonder how much good a person is actually doing if they're spending their days trying to make the world a better place but is a completely miserable human being to others. I've worked in a lot of fund raising offices for charities and non profits and so on, and even though the work was important a lot of my bosses were pretty mean. lol!!

If we can live our lives with love and empathy in our hearts and in our actions while we work toward achieving enlightenment surely we're doing something very good for this world and for our fellow humans.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    LMAO, YM!

My oldest sister Sine (pronounced sheena) volunteers at missions during Christmas and has been doing it for years. She says that it's the most meaningful experience she has all year. She's heavy into the whole rainbows, fairies and unicorns sort of thing but she says that it's only during those hours when she's volunteering that she really, really feels the "spirit" of Christmas. My biggest regret in this life is that I didn't get up off my ass to do more volunteering before I became disabled. I'd kick myself for it if I could. I suppose I could hit myself over the head with my cane....hmmm.....(once a Catholic...)

MMMM *thinking out aloud* being hit with a cane....Geez I wish I was back in Catholic school...I'm SUCH a Naughty boy....:skeptical now, what I'd give to be rapped over the knuckles with a wooden ruler...Oh those days were SO much fun!

NOTE TO ONESELF: Apply for the British Conservative Party this coming year...:crazy:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    LOL!!! Sillyarse!
  • edited November 2006
    I'm trying to gain as much spiritual knowledge as possible in order to help others in their lives. I always disliked hearing false information about a paticular faith (believe me, there is a LOT of that around here) and I want to make a difference around here by being that guy everyone goes to for truthful, accurate, spiritual information. I've shed much light to people who didn't know about different faiths and religions (either that and/or had a bunch of misconceptions) It feels good, after you're done discussing with them, that they do not leave the conversation empty-handed, that they have something they can go on and teach others, and if they do want to know something I do not, i'll tell them that is something they will have to find out on there own, instead of making something up in order to sound smart. I hope one day to lead at least one person to a faith (whether or not I agree with it or not!) that will give them a overall better sense of being and awareness.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    As the Australians say, "Good on ya, mate!"

Palzang
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Don't mean to be too "irreverent" about this important topic, but a lot of what we think about the state of the world or its future state is in the mind. I mean, thinking is one thing, reality quite another.

Therefore, if people need medicine to "adjust" a bit, we owe a lot of thanks to the scientific and pharmaceutical communities that have come up with lots of helpful medicine to help people be more balanced, more respectful to each other and able to see what's really important in a fresh light. In other words, these drugs help a lot of people treat others right, and that's a good thing.

Better living through chemistry is one thing that gives me hope for the future state of our existence.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Nirvana!! It's so great to see you again, old friend!! I'm so happy you decided to post!

I'm one of those people who has been greatly helped by medication. It hasn't changed everything in my life, it's just given me a fighting chance to live my life the way I wanted to. I have a pretty severe brain disorder, the panic and anxiety disorder I've talked about before, and these meds have actually made my life livable. Not perfect, not stress free, but livable. Buddhism does the rest. lol!!

So, yes, I'm fortunate enough to have these meds which give me the fighting chance I need not to become overwhelmed with my own challenges and to be able to be of some small help to others and a help to myself. You're right, Nirvana. It's a very hopeful thing. And I can't BELIEVE I'm saying this because just a few years ago I was so completely against pharmaceuticals. But there was a middle way, as there is in everything, right?
    edited November 2006
    My dearest and most wonderful American friends....

When you go to the polls today.....

Make a difference, for all our sakes.
  • edited November 2006
    Oh, don't even get me started on this! I'm stuck here at college and can't get back home to vote (classes are still in session today), and there is a shortage of provisional and absentee ballots, even though I requested one of the latter well in advance -- at the end of September! Some democracy...
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2006
    federica wrote:
    My dearest and most wonderful American friends....

When you go to the polls today.....

Make a difference, for all our sakes.

Of course, Fede. I just wish there was more I could do. I will have to get more into activism as the kids get older (and I have the time).

Rambling,
    That really sucks. I don't care if there is a shortage, that's totally against our democratic system & amounts to denying your right to vote in this election. Entirely inexcusable.

take care everyone.

_/\_
    metta
  • edited November 2006
    You better believe I will, fede! :)
  • edited November 2006
    here's just a little something a friend of mine has put together to "do his part"... I for sure will try to get as many people as I can to donate some toys.

1397431042_l.jpg
  • edited November 2006
    That's wonderful LFA!!! I am sure your friend will get a lot of toys. If i lived in the area, I would definitely stop by.
  • edited November 2006
    And in regards to the elections yesterday...GO DEMOCRATS!!!! I am very happy with how things are turning out so far. :)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/9e377d9a-6f02-11db-ab7b-0000779e2340.html