Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Living it up - !

MagwangMagwang Veteran
edited November 2006 in General Banter
I just started a great new job, and bought this house :

19_farm_house_side_web.gif

Talk about changes.

**oops, should have posted to the Lounge - my bad. Freddie plz move this for me thx. ***

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Wow, Magwang! That house is gorgeous! I love it - especially the porch. Beautiful! Congrats.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    The WHOLE house?!?It's Hyaaauge!

Right - !we're all moving in!! :lol: :tongue2:
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Can you name the lake that the arrow is pointing to?

and Brigid you can't answer this one...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Awww!! C'mon, Magwang!! Can't I guess? Can't I? Huh? Huh? It's so easy...

I love your house. It's in a very similar style to ours. What is it, about 150 years old? I've probably seen it, too, at some point in my travels. lol! If not that specific one, many like it. Nice new roof, too. Man, are you ever going to have a blast doing the interior decorating. How totally fun! Ooohhh, I wish I was your interior designer! I love the way the late afternoon sun hits the porches. And I bet you've got some lovely old trees around it. Congratulations, Magwang! On the new job and the new house. I hope you have many, many years of great joy and peace there.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Wow! What a beautiful, big, old home!

I can't wait to hear how high your heating bill is!!!!!

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Ouch! You're such a brat, BF.

If there's a wood stove or a propane heater it won't be a problem. We have both and my folks didn't even need to be evacuated during the colossal ice storm a few years back. They were one of the first to lose their power and one of the last to get it back but they did okay. Our water pump is electrical so they didn't even have water. But there was plenty of ice...
  • edited October 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Wow! What a beautiful, big, old home!

I can't wait to hear how high your heating bill is!!!!!

-bf

OK, Debbie Downer.
  • edited October 2006
    PS - is it Lake Ontario?
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Lake Simcoe, which flows into Georgian bay, then Huron, Erie & Ontario. Very shallow lake, so it freezes well in the winter and is warm in the summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Simcoe

Lake Simcoe is a lake in southern Ontario, Canada, the fourth largest lake in the province. At the time of the first European contact in the 17th century the lake was called Ouentironk ("Beautiful Water") by the Huron natives. It was very soon after known as Lake Toronto, an Iroquioan term. 'Toronto' was in reference to the several Huron fish weirs located in the lake, and meant 'place where trees stand in the water'. Early French traders also referred to it by its French translation, i.e. Lac aux Claies, the "lake of weirs".

It was renamed by John Graves Simcoe, the Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada in the late 18th century for his father. The name 'Toronto' found its way to the current City via its use in the name the 'Toronto Passage', a portage running between Lake Ontario and Georgian Bay, that passed through 'Lake Toronto'; which in turn was used as the name for an early French fort located at the foot of the Toronto passage, on Lake Ontario.

yes it has a wood stove, which you can un at night. with the automatic thermostat, you can save energy. but it is oil heat :skeptical (no gas line yet)

so we're packing and moving...once again. impermanence in action...

::
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    During our stay in Ontario, a few years ago, we visited Lake Simcoe because, south-east of Barrie, there is a small town named after where we live in the UK!

I love the way in which the immigrants rename everything so that there are multiple maps of each reagion. For a week of our stay, we were at a house just outside Minden on a lake called Big Bob - a real gift to us, as Blackadder fans!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I'm a Blackadder fan, too. You stayed just outside Minden? Why that's just a hop, skip and a jump from where I am now and very close to where I used to live. It's a massive province but a small world nonetheless. Although I wouldn't want to pain it.....
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I loved my week in Minden: evenings at the rubbish dump, under a full moon, watching the bears; nights as black as pitch with the Milky Way thrown across the sky; days on the lake..... heaven!
  • edited November 2006
    I love your new house. Wonderful porches. I've already picked out the furniture in my head for them for next spring. Show us picks of the inside too. We can decorate them in our heads for you too. :)

I love to decorate other ppls houses........Just can't do my own......

Our house on Cape Cod had oil heat........I'd never had oil heat before.....It was great.
  • edited November 2006
    oh, see, I was confused when you asked if we could name the lake. For whatever reason, I thought you said it was one of the Five Great Lakes. OK, carry on! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I would never have gotten Lake Simcoe, by the way. I thought it was lake Ontario, too. I suck at geography. I even grew up on a street called Simcoe Ave. in Montreal. :crazy: :rolleyes:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    .....That's a Lake....? Looks like my Ol' English Teacher in silhouette.... Miss Knobbs.

Say Nothing.

Walk away.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    LMAO!!!
  • edited November 2006
    LMAO too!