Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

It's OK to admit

2»

Comments

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited December 2013
    zenff said:

Buddhism however is notoriously bad in cosmology. It describes various fantasy-realms of heaven and hell.
    It sees ghosts and Deva’s and describes a universe full of magical powers and miraculous events.
    At the time that stuff made perfect sense to people, but now we know that it is myth.

Some people think they know that, I would agree. I would refer these people to the first post in the thread, :)
    In the idea of karma is a mix of practical knowledge and myth. We “reap what we sow” in many practical ways. I get back from people what I give to them – quite often. But it isn’t a universal law and there is no mechanism of pay-back after death. Seeing the obvious ways of how we often get what we deserve in life doesn’t support in any way the idea of a universal law. We often don’t get what we deserve too.
    I don't believe karma is meant to be framed from a reference point of "only one lifetime and that's it" view. :)
    The idea of rebirth may be comforting. The universe is just and (because of that) we can control our fate through a series of lives. But there is no “95%” proof for it. There is none.
    You know Carl Sagan I assume? I like his view on these types of things. "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence". But, a rebirth debate and declaring views as true or false, is really on the opposite side of the point of this thread!

:om:
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I love Carl Sagan. One of my favorite lines from him was "We are a way for the universe to know itself"