Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Funny Thing Happenned To Me Tonight

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited June 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Ok I was driving today. I deliver pizzas for Pizza Hut. I was thinking of walking meditation and I wondered if I could do it in the car while driving. Well something happenned. I wasn't even trying. I was mostly thinking of all the information I have been reading here. I felt things go in and out of focus. I could feel my breath and I heard every litle noise outside and inside the car. I also felt this immense joy run through me and all of my cares slipped away. I started to wonder if doing this while driving was a good idea but I at the same time I knew if anything happenned I would be able ot respond with no problem. For most of my shift tonight I kept going in and out of these states. The really new thing was while on my meal break I was sitting in the back drinking a soda and I did it again and the something that never happenned to me happenned. I started to see things. It looked like little strands of hair floatring in front of my eyes. I looked aorund the room and I could see them everywhere. I really have no idea what any of this was. Then someone walked up to me and asked what was wrong. I just said nothing. I really didn't know what was happenning myself let alone be able to explain it. Does anyone know what happenned?

Comments

• edited June 2005
    What do you think was happening?
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I call it "driving meditation" - read this.

I asked the abbot of the temple I go to about it, and he said "well, if you can walk and meditate, you can drive and meditate, but please be extra mindful!" ;)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    What do you think was happening?

Well I always try to remain humble but I think I was reaching a new level I had never experienced before. All I know it was a lot to absorb.
  • edited June 2005
    Was it really a new level, or had it always been there and you'd never noticed it before?

Beware: visions can sometimes be hinderences on the path.

I hope I have been helpful (for that's the reason I'm here).

Peace
    edited June 2005
    I am still thinking on what it all was. I know I can trigger it all at will and tonight I didn't do it because I just want to understand it a bit more.
  • edited June 2005
    There is a book called "Zen Driving" or something to that effect. I read it a couple of years ago. It wasn't particularly entertaining or interesting so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but your post reminded me off it. Maybe the book would be a better fit for you than me...your mileage may vary.
  • edited June 2005
    Was it really a new level, or had it always been there and you'd never noticed it before?

Beware: visions can sometimes be hinderences on the path.

I hope I have been helpful (for that's the reason I'm here).

Peace
    The thought here is well placed. My wife, a Christian, came home from church the other day all filled with "the spirit" if you will. She told me that the service was really powerfull and the holy spirit was present that day. My none to blunt zen response was "oh? the holy spirit doesn't always come to church?" she lookad at me ...??? "the holy spirit is always present, today you were present also". :bowdown:

^gassho^
    edited June 2005
    I love that little bowing guy. LOL :bowdown:

Wolf any thoughts on my post?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    The thought here is well placed. My wife, a Christian, came home from church the other day all filled with "the spirit" if you will. She told me that the service was really powerfull and the holy spirit was present that day. My none to blunt zen response was "oh? the holy spirit doesn't always come to church?" she lookad at me ...??? "the holy spirit is always present, today you were present also". :bowdown:

^gassho^

Bingo!! Love it Wolf, good one (even if I agree, it was a little blunt...!) Worth doing it just to see the look on her face, maybe...? you so wicked!!
  • edited June 2005
    that bowing guy is cool, but lets see if you see the smiley flipping you off...not many can see it.
    t(^_^t)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    You're right, catie's boy.... can't see it... But glad to see you! Welcome!
  • edited June 2005
    hey thanks! i'm glad to be here! ^_^
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I see it. It's a little round headed guy and the t's are his hands with the fingers up. nice!

Welcome to our site! :D
  • edited June 2005
    BRIAN SEES IT!!!!!! awesome....
    edited June 2005
    Now I am wondering if anyone else has anything to add on my first post on this topic.
  • edited June 2005
    I don't drive so..no i don't....