Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist quote

edited October 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I would like to include a Buddhist quote in my wedding. Any suggestions on a quote I should use, and who said it?

Comments

• MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I have yet to find anything appropriate for a wedding. I looked for some quote or passages for our wedding, and I concluded that married life just was not discussed much by the buddha, not was it considered to be particularily helpful on the path.

I suggest you write something from your own heart and it will be just as wise.

M.
  • Bunny_HereBunny_Here Explorer
    edited October 2006
    I found this link which is entitled A Buddhist Wedding Ceremony:

http://www.fpmt.org/teachers/zopa/advice/pdf/weddingceremonyeditedkm.pdf

I particularly enjoyed the Buddhist Wedding Prayer-
    "Today we promise to dedicate ourselves completely to each other, with body, speech, and mind. In this life, in every situation, in wealth or poverty, in health or sickness, in happiness or difficulty, we will work to help each other perfectly. The purpose of our relationship will be to attain enlightenment by perfecting our kindness and compassion toward all sentient beings."- Lama Thubten Yeshe
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Nice link, Bun. Personally I'd prefer something on impermanence...
    Probably wouldn't go over too well with the bride's mother though!

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks so much! There are some things in there that I feel will fit into our ceremony perfectly.
    edited October 2006
    You're very welcome Mika.

Bunny_Here
    (Another Bay Area resident) :smilec:
    edited October 2006
    Palzang-

I think something on impermanence is a good idea when it comes to a Buddhist wedding. Perhaps this will be more to your liking:

http://la.nichirenshu.org/teachings/talks/kanai/wedding_ceremony.htm
    WEDDING MESSAGE

I ask you to consider that: You live your lives to realize oneness as husband and wife. Happiness and unhappiness, joyfulness and sadness are coming and going just like the high tide and the low tide. You live your lives to realize impermanence: Life is eve-changing and to resist the changing is to resist life. You live your lives to realize your responsibility in everything you say, you do, and you think. By striving to realize these things, you commit your lives and your work for the benefit of people - to your families, to your friends, and to the people of your community.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Bunny, Has anyone extended a warm and hearty welcome? if not, it is purely because we have been distractred by the essence of your posts...Everyone is delighted to see you... welcome aboard, and nice posts! Great to have you with us!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    ....Yes, I've just seen other thread you posted in, and of course, your contributions have not been missed...Both Si the Pi and Brigid have said hello.

It's ME who is late! :D
    edited October 2006
    Hi Federica-

It's never too late to make somebody feel welcomed, and your kind words have done just that. Thank you!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Hey, Bunny. I love those two quotations and think they'd be perfect for a wedding. I'm also a big fan of Lama Thubten Yeshe's teachings.

Hi, Mika!! It's so nice to meet you! I hope you feel very welcome here and please don't hesitate to ask questions or contribute your own wisdom and understanding whenever you feel like it. Make yourself right at home. And a big congratulations on your impending wedding!! I hope you have a beautiful day. If you have any questions regarding wedding flowers don't hesitate to ask me because I was a floral designer and wedding consultant for many years and I know every trick of the trade. Oooohhhh!! I LOVE weddings!! lol!

Love,
    Brigid
    edited October 2006
    Heya Mika,
    Yeh, What Brigid said....apart from the flowers bit, because I'd just make a mess of them....!

Welcome!