Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Well, I'm back. (For now.)

edited October 2006 in General Banter
Hello, everyone!

I apologize for the rather lengthy absence (if it made any difference), but I’ve been up to my ears in schoolwork and the like and have not had time to check in. I’m experiencing a bit of a lull at the moment, and so am taking advantage of it to catch up with various goings-on. I must say that I’ve missed you all terribly!

The first update is one concerning the head-shaving business. After consulting my mother and my brothers, I settled on just a very short clipper cut (about an inch long). I can always shave it completely later if I feel so inclined. I have to say that I really enjoy the short hair, though. It’s so much easier to manage, and I feel more like myself than I did before, if that makes any sense…

Secondly, if any of you remember my Invisible Children thread and care to know, my work has met with mixed outcomes. With the intent of gathering interest to organize a club, I tried to have a screening of the movie for everyone in my dorm, but not a soul showed up. Discouraged, I’d let the matter drop for the time being, but now there seems to be another chance that it might pick up some momentum, as I’ve found a few other people who just might be interested in this cause. I’m cautious about getting my hopes up, but I can’t help being at least a bit optimistic.

Third, meditation club has been going very well, as the weekly hour-and-a-half meetings provide the only time I can find now for zazen and kinh hanh. We haven’t quite settled on a name yet, but we were thinking of something along the lines of Meditators United, so that our acronym would be MU…

I thought it was clever.

Other than that, I suppose there’s not a whole lot more -- well, not anything that anyone has the time for, anyway. I’m sure to disappear again shortly, but I’ll be back sometime in December if not sooner.

Lotuses all around!

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Hey, Rambling!! It's so nice to see you! You must be working very hard. Well done!

That's a drag about the screening. Here's hoping more people will get involved. Keep up the great work. It'll always be fraught with disappointment here and there so just gather your thoughts and keep pushing through. It's all about tenacity and patience, even when the issue is as urgent as this one.

I love the name of your meditation group! lol! It's great and I'm so glad you have this resource because I'm sure it's a great benefit for all of you, especially when things get crazy with papers and exams.

I'm sending you much love and all my wishes for peace and joy.

Love,
    Boo
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks, Brigid!
  • edited October 2006
    Oh, and I just remembered, I have another update about Invisible Children. In addition to spreading the word by writing letters to Congress, the president, and the BPF, among others, and by making calls (for what they are worth) to my senators and representative, I've also had an essay published in a magazine. The entry was for a scholarship, and the question was about the charity of your choice; I threw together a submission and I didn't expect anything to come of it, but hey! The magazine is rather obscure, so I can't say that even a decent amount of people will read it, but you never know. Anyway, once I realized the implications of this humble publication, I was just so happy that I felt I had to share it with whoever cares to know. Now if I can only find time to start my novel...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Oh,me too.....

"It was a dark and stormy night....."!

Best of the best with everything, and just keep putting one foot in front of the other....We're all with you! :)
  • edited October 2006
    federica wrote:
    "It was a dark and stormy night....."!

*groans*

But thank you, all the same.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    The best opening sentence I have ever come across is in Burgess's Earthly Powers:
    "It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday, and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbishop had come to see me."
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Simon, lol!!!

You got published, Rambling? That's a pretty big thing, no matter how obscure the publication. So a big congratulations to you! An even bigger congrats because the subject of your first published work is such a hugely important one. You done good!! (I got no idea why my book keeps getting rejected by the publishers. I'm starting to resemble their negative comments and I wonder just what they're trying to incinerate with the aspirations they keep casting upon my ability to write. Oh well, never mind. I'll just keep trying...)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Was that quote from your autobiography, Simon?! ;)

My favorite opening line of all time is, "They call me Ishmael." Of course, you all know where that came from, right? That's why it's my favorite. Very simple, very memorable, very profound.

Anyway, glad to hear things are coming together for your meditation club, Ramblin'. Don't fret too much about the Invisible Children thing. Sometimes you can't push the river, you just have to wait for the river to come to you!

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    Now Palzang, just how wide is this river, how fast is it flowing, and how close might it be coming...?

And Brigid, keep at it! There's only one thing you've got to do, and maybe only one thing you can do...

RAMBLE ON!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Hard to say, eh? You are in Southern Maryland, after all! Could be a flood, or maybe just a trickle. Or maybe nothing at all...

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    Ah, so that's to be the way of things is it? Very well, then. Very well indeed!