Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm really stuck on the truth of impermanence ....

2»

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    anataman said:

nibbana and samsara - 2 sides of the same coin - thats why boddhisttva's take a vow not to enter it until everyone has been liberated from samsara ….

Nibbana and Samsara being two sides of the same coin is a mahayana interpretation. Theravada does not hold such views.

you bring up an interesting question as I've never thought about this.. ok so say every being on every world system in every universe and plane of existence becomes awakened.. if Nibbana is samsara.. then what state do they enter once everyone is enlightened?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    If Nirvana is conditioned then relying on it would be dukkha. Right? Think about it. If you rely on something that comes and goes you will suffer when it goes and experience 'becoming' (of the nidanas) if it comes.

Rangtongpas explain around that scenario, but I never understood their polemics. I just practice shravaka path so I have no idea. :)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jayantha said:

Nibbana and Samsara being two sides of the same coin is a mahayana interpretation.

If this is true then nirvana is conditioned, which doesn't sound right.
    :rolleyes:
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Jayantha said:

anataman said:

nibbana and samsara - 2 sides of the same coin - thats why boddhisttva's take a vow not to enter it until everyone has been liberated from samsara ….

Nibbana and Samsara being two sides of the same coin is a mahayana interpretation. Theravada does not hold such views.

you bring up an interesting question as I've never thought about this.. ok so say every being on every world system in every universe and plane of existence becomes awakened.. if Nibbana is samsara.. then what state do they enter once everyone is enlightened?
    Hope you might ask that - Pure unconditioned awareness - and it's right here and right now! Samsara -pure unconditioned eternal empty timeless awareness - Nirvana.

It's bang right there in the middle!

Now where was I?

Jayantha said:

Nibbana and Samsara being two sides of the same coin is a mahayana interpretation.

If you have to do something to get there it has a cause and depends on conditions
    OK OK - so I have revealed myself as a Mahayana buddhist. If everyone becomes enlightened together, everyone can build the pure land of Amithaba - because it's right, right? and as Emmanuel Kant says in his' critique of pure reason' yes I have read it cover to cover 'when you are morally right you are right'.

Incidentally Kant performed ritualistic practices, and was probably considered to have OCD - I think he just performed meditation in action. Kant was probably a boddhisattva (just for you @federica :-) ) LOL - stop it!

http://www.justiceharvard.org/resources/episode-6-discussion-guide-advanced/ if anyone has any academic interest in his influence on morality and duty and justice and humanity and freedom. But that is another thread.

jae
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Way to confusing and convoluted for me.. Ill stick with the pali suttas on this regard ahaha. Different strokes for different folks.
    anataman
    There's no right way to put it in words, other than to practice being in the present.

Jeffrey
    anataman said:

Jayantha said:

If you have to do something to get there it has a cause and depends on conditions
    Yes, I see what you mean - Nibbana arising in dependence on the 8-fold path, for example. But once Nibbana has arisen, then it isn't dependent on conditions?
    @spinynorman, how is a dependent origination sustained if it's dependent on conditional arising ?
    edited December 2013
    anataman said:

@spinynorman, how is a dependent origination sustained if it's dependent on conditional arising ?

DO describes a process of becoming which is based on craving which is based on ignorance. So with cessation of ignorance, there is cessation of craving and therefore cessation of DO, ie cessation of samsara. Does that help?
    Buddhism is NOT about becoming, its about being - BE ING.

Remove the conditions! and Cessation follows as a natural consequence.

Are we talking about the same thing or are we talking about nothing. Either way this thread aint gonna outlast the title of the title of the OP

Mettha
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013

anataman said:

Jayantha said:

Yes, I see what you mean - Nibbana arising in dependence on the 8-fold path, for example. But once Nibbana has arisen, then it isn't dependent on conditions?
    @anataman
    You don't have to manufacture the sun. You just need to blow away the clouds.
    anataman
    edited December 2013
    But that implies you need someone with breath to blow!

Let the sun shine behind the clouds, and admire the clouds, knowing the sun is always there!
  • @anataman, I struggle with that too. The clouds are made of the sun but the sun is not manufactured. Much of the path is letting the clouds come and go. And other is to with force move the clouds away, such as the lojong teachings. Even the meditation you just let the clouds be. The sun is inside us?? and it always partly gets sun through the clouds. Also we are inseparable from the sun. So it is always there.

“Muddy water, let stand, becomes clear.”

― Lao Tzu
    anataman
    anataman said:

Are we talking about the same thing or are we talking about nothing.

Or both, or neither? :D
    Jeffrey said:

You don't have to manufacture the sun. You just need to blow away the clouds.
    Yes, that's a good way of looking at it.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    jae said:

Then shouldn't we all strive to be boddhisttva?

I like to think so but I try not to make too much of me being a bodhisattva.
    jae said:

Thanks for taking the time to explain ...I'm a week into this journey so forgive my ignorance

I've been at it for about 22 years and people are always forgiving me for mine.

jae
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Jayantha said:

anataman said:

Could be either a whole new level of ignorance or the universe itself could awaken.

No one is left behind.

jae