Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Holidays??

edited October 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Where can I find info on important dates/ holidays in the Buddhist tradition? Thanks in advance. :grin:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Where can I find info on important dates/ holidays in the Buddhist tradition? Thanks in advance. :grin:

Fede seems to have answered your question, but I'd like to say that it's good to see you back on the boards. Hope things are going well.

_/\_
    metta
  • edited October 2006
    yes she did, and thanks Fede. I am going to print out the calender from that site, thanks again.

And thank you not1not2 for the welcome back, I still don't have a pc at home (not connected to the net yet) but can check the board at work occasionally as well as the library. And things are going really well, we have our own home finally and regardless of the size (it is a Cape Cod style cottage) it is wonderful to have our own place!!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Glad to hear you're doing well, LFA!

Of course, it depends on which Buddhist tradition you're talking about when it comes to holidays. In the Tibetan tradition, there are 5 major holidays. The first is Losar, the lunar New Year. It is traditionally celebrated for two weeks, and since it's on the lunar calendar (like Chinese New Year), the date changes every year. Usually it's in February.

Then there are the four major Tibetan Buddhist holidays which celebrate the "great deeds" of the Buddha. The first, Chotrul Duchen, is celebrated at the end of the Losar celebration, which celebrates the miracles said to have been performed by the Buddha during the 15 days of Losar to inspire devotion and increase the merit of his disciples.

The second great holiday is Saga Dawa Duchen, which corresponds to Wesak in other Buddhist traditions. It is celebrated on the full moon in May and celebrates Buddha's enlightenment and parinirvana. The third is Chokhor Duchen which commemorates the First Turning of the Wheel of Dharma, the teaching of the Four Noble Truths. This happens in July on the fourth day of the sixth lunar month. The last is Lha Bab Duchen, celebrated on the 22nd day of the ninth lunar month (usually November) which commemorates the descent of the Buddha from the deva realm ("Bab" means "descent", "Lha" means "god" or "deva") after going there to teach his deceased mother, Mahamaya.

The 10th day of every lunar month is also a special day, Guru Rinpoche Day, which celebrate important events in his life. His birth is celebrated on the 10th day of the sixth month.

Palzang