Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the science of karma

edited November 2006 in Buddhism Basics
for anyone interested i found some good information on proof of karma
the science of it..
great read..

Posted By: James Newell | Date: 04/29/06 - 21:37
One of the reasons I spent many years looking for a scientific proof of karma is that it would improve the political situation. Knowing that what they do to others will be done to them at some future time, the wealthy and others who are in power would tend to do policymaking in ways that would promote the welfare of the public. The scientific proof is below: The scientific proof of karma is the demonstration of the existence of some natural processes in consciousness which would produce karma-like effects. 1. Telepathic connection of minds is shown by Point Cluster Theory and the experiments in parapsychology. 2. Generalization and gestalt grouping are shown in thousands of experiments reported in the psychological literature. Any action involves and is powered by an intention, conation, will or whatever one wants to call it. Here, it will be called "intention". There are memories of intentions, and habits of having certain intentions. They are both the same, except that a habit is a memory of a number of instances. Every action creates a new intention memory, and those intention memories coalesce into intention habits if repeated. Because intention powers actions, an intention memory/habit constantly produces a constant pressure to repeat the action again. Some might be repeated now and some thousands of years from now in future lifetimes (see proof of reincarnation) but there is always some pressure being exerted by all of them. Now we bring in gestalt grouping, generalization, and telepathy. By telepathy, a pressure towards action in one mind will be felt by other minds. Gestalt grouping and generalization will act across minds on elements shared by them. The particular intention memories/habits however will remain pinned to the mind which did the actions, even when they are also detected by other minds. Now in various situations, there will be intentions directed from other minds towards oneself, which will cause others to do things to oneself. Gestalt grouping will cause intentions of others similar to our own intention memory/habits to be pulled together. Thus, if we steal things, that will cause intentions of others to steal from ourselves to be attracted towards oneself by our own stealing intention memory/habit. If we give gifts, that will cause intentions to give gifts in other minds to be attracted to ourselves by our own gifting intention memory/habit. If we tell jokes to make others laugh, then the joke telling intentions of others will, by gestalt grouping, be drawn towards ourselves by our won joke telling memory/habit. So Gestalt grouping causes a karma-like effect. Generalization goes further than just attracting similar intentions of others towards ourselves. Generalization causes things in consciousness to become more similar. Therefore, when we develop an intention memory/habit, generalization causes the intentions of others towards us to become more similar to our own intention memory/habit. So if we give other people good information, we will develop intention memories/habits of giving good information. That will cause intentions of others towards us to shift towards their giving us good information. On the other hand, if we mislead people, we will develop intention memories/habits of misleading people. Then, by generalization, the intentions of others towards ourselves well shift towards misleading us. So in summary, by telepathy, gestalt grouping and generalization, what we do causes others to do similar things to us at future times. James F. Newell, B.A. U. California, Berkeley, Ph.D. U. Washington, Seattle

part two..

RE: scientific proof of karma REPLY
Posted By: James Newell | Date: 04/30/06 - 10:37
SCIENTIFIC PROOF OF REINCARNATION ***** By the way, these are scientific proofs, so it is not necessary that anyone join this or that religion. People can remain secular if they wish.****The proof of karma referred to a proof of reincarnation, and this is important also. The point is that the wealthy and powerful who harm others will suffer in future lifetimes as a result of the natural psychological processes of karma.****The proof of reincarnation lies in the complexity of the nerve impulse patterns in the brain. Researchers have discovered that each incidence of information processing involves a large number of nerve impulses in a complex pattern. The scene outside one's window would be encoded in the brain to a pattern with many millions of nerve impulses. Furthermore, these nerve impulses all look about the same. They are all just a flow of ions, so how they look doesn't give any clues about what information they encode. We don't have blue nerve impulses, red nerve impulses, nerve impulses with a rose odor, nerve impulses that feel happy, etc. All the coding is in the patterns of the nerve impulses **** Now consciousness interprets these nerve impulse patterns and turns them into images, sounds, tastes, feelings, meanings, etc.**** Now consider how much skill that involves. The most advanced supercomputer we have is unable to interpret complex patterns like the nerve impulse patterns. It should be obvious that consciousness could not learn that high level a skill in just a few months as an infant, or even in one lifetime. Such a skill could only have been learned over a period of a very large number of lifetimes. Since single celled organisms, even though they don't have a brain, nevertheless can perceive simple stimuli and react in simple but appropriate ways, they probably have simple consciousnesses. That would have been a good starting point because it would have required much less skill to decode a single cell. Then, our consciousnesses probably moved on to multi-celled animals, and slowly worked up to more and more complex brains. So the level of skill our consciousnesses now have to interpret nerve impulse patterns looks like it has been built up over several billion years. The only way that could have happened would be that consciousness reincarnated whenever an old body died.****This of course is a natural process. In addition, since it has been going on for so long in the past, in order to build up that much skill, we can expect to continue to reincarnate in the future. Hence, karma will affect people in future lifetimes. It would therefore be wise for people in power to be very responsible and act for the welfare of everyone. Jim

Comments

• edited October 2006
    a short read on gossip and karma..

When we have a projection of a thought, there is responsibility for the effect of that. When thoughts are translated into words, there is also responsibility. Good thoughts create positive vibrations, but negative thoughts create consequences. We know this. Kwan Yin and the Masters strongly impart to us that gossip is extremely potent, harmful both to the one being talked about and to the one talking about them. This is because our negative thoughts, words and feelings take flight from our consciousness and transform into little invisible daggers flying through the air. When they find their destination, it can attach to the aura, crippling the recipient. Then, if the person issuing the words or thoughts has weak areas in their aura, the thoughtform they created may turn and attack them.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    I Hope you will forgive me, Colleen, for having merged the 2 threads, as the topics are both pertinent and similar...
    Separation, should you so wish it, may also be engineered.... Call it my tiny mother-mind tidying up....! ;)
  • edited November 2006
    To me, Karma is not so much a reactionary punishing force. Rather, Karma means reaping the benefits of our own attitudes. In short, if you go through life with a sucky attitude about your supposed sucky life and sucky job, then that is what you end up with; suckage. Now if you go through life with a positive, realistic, attitude realizing that the 'shoulds' of your life are an illusion, I believe you will end up with a much more satisfying life.

I am uneasy with the idea of the karma most often implied. Mostly because good and bad actions are too relative to be judged as so. Remember the story of the Chinese farmer with his good and bad fortune. What was seen as bad karma one day was truly a blessing in the next day.

And also, if unwholsome things happen to a person as a result of unwholsome past deeds, this would suggest that when a child is molested or raped, it is a result of their own bad actions in the past lives. And this is quite the scary thought.

I don't understand exactly how people prove karma in the sense suggested, nor do I understand how you can prove in past/future lifetimes, God, heaven, hell, or angels for that matter. It like many things, gets tossed into the 'Unknowables' file.

Either way, I don't concern over it. It won't affect the way I act and will have no affect on my happiness level.
  • becomethesignalbecomethesignal Explorer
    edited November 2006
    "then that is what you end up with; suckage"
    I like that line. It's funny but it proves your point. I have to agree with you on your thoughts about Karma and so forth.