Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting Facts

edited November 2006 in General Banter
Anyone read the book "Mr Know-It-All"? Its about the quthors real quest of reading the Encyclopedia of Britinacca from A to Z. Anyway, while reading it, i discovered a few nice, interesting and weird facts:

1) Do you know that after a be-heading, the head is lifted high up. This was because it is said that the head still remains conscious for 8 seconds and this was to allow the victim to see the crowd and his beheaded body.

2) There was mention of a Roman ceremony where a commander is honored if he killed 500 of the enemy soldiers (which my friend vehemently denied saying that after years of playing games, it was impossible for one to kill more than hundred soldiers unless a cheat was used :smilec: ). So, if he succeeds he will be honored with a ceremony. however, the interesting thing is, while he is led on a chariot through the crowd as they shower him with pride and all, there will be a slave stationed beside him to constantly whisper the words "Remember, you are still but a mere mortal" to remind him that he is only still a mortal like the rest of the crowd. Now, imagine that infused in our current lives.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Anyone read the book "Mr Know-It-All"? Its about the quthors real quest of reading the Encyclopedia of Britinacca from A to Z. Anyway, while reading it, i discovered a few nice, interesting and weird facts:

1) Do you know that after a be-heading, the head is lifted high up. This was because it is said that the head still remains conscious for 8 seconds and this was to allow the victim to see the crowd and his beheaded body.

2) There was mention of a Roman ceremony where a commander is honored if he killed 500 of the enemy soldiers (which my friend vehemently denied saying that after years of playing games, it was impossible for one to kill more than hundred soldiers unless a cheat was used :smilec: ). So, if he succeeds he will be honored with a ceremony. however, the interesting thing is, while he is led on a chariot through the crowd as they shower him with pride and all, there will be a slave stationed beside him to constantly whisper the words "Remember, you are still but a mere mortal" to remind him that he is only still a mortal like the rest of the crowd. Now, imagine that infused in our current lives.

At papal enthronements, it used to be part of the ritual (and may still be for all I know) that a barefoot frier presents himself, alone, in a tattered habit among all the splendour. He burned a piece of flax in front of the Holy Father, calling out, loudly, "Remember, man, that thou art dust and unto dust thou shalt return."

I have often thought that the loss of the head of state's confessor who constantly reminds the king/queen/president of their mortality.
  • edited November 2006

It's called the Roman triumph - and actually the leader had to kill over 5,000 enemy soldiers (thought the standard may have changed over time). Of course, he didn't have to kill them personally. It was a huge deal since it was the only time a Roman could enter Rome with his war armor on.

For more info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_triumph
    edited November 2006
    And did you know that any of Emily Dickinson's poems can be sung................ to the tune of The Yellow Rose of Texas?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    OMGoodness, I am now going to have to try that!

Just as an aside, because this is a live thread, and it seemed a good place as any to put it - I have approached Brian with a view to changng/standardising our Home Page with the permanent feature of The Four, the Eight and the Five, with maybe a link or reference to the Kalama Sutra.
    Someone suggested something of that ilk some time ago, and I thought I'd action it.

If anyone objects, or has better ideas, PM Brian....

Whaddya all think?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    I just googled 'Emily Dickinson Poetry' and got the full works.

Schooot....

He's right, you know.....:wow: :hair: :crazy: :lol::lol:
    edited November 2006
    federica wrote:
    I just googled 'Emily Dickinson Poetry' and got the full works.

Schooot....

He's right, you know.....:wow: :hair: :crazy: :lol::lol:

It does very interesting things to one of my real favourites:

BECAUSE I could not stop for Death,
    He kindly stopped for me;
    The carriage held but just ourselves
    And Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
    And I had put away
    My labor, and my leisure too,
    For his civility.

We passed the school where children played