Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

After Nirvana?

edited December 2006 in Buddhism Basics
After a man has achieved Nirvana and he dies, what happens to him/his soul/spirit? Will he be reincarnated to help others? Is he reunited with the divine essence? Please correct me, I am unsure of the correct terminology.

Comments

• not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Death as experienced by a Tathagata is described simply as, 'All this, no longer being relished, grows cold right here.' All attempts to describe the experience of nibbana or the state of the Tathagata after death—as existing, not existing, both, or neither—are refuted by the Buddha.
    http://herenow.org/wwwArticles/nibbana2.html

Tathagata is another name for the Buddha. As all description & classification exists within the scope of the 6 sense bases (five senses + intellect), and nibbana is beyond the 6 sense bases, all speculation is going to be unsatisfactory & off the mark. So, unfortunately, I really can't answer this question, due to its nature.

I know that even this answer is probably unsatisfactory to you, but this one is to be experienced for oneself, not speculated upon.

take care & be well.

_/\_
    metta
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Hey, BC! Welcome! It's nice to meet you. Boy, you sure don't start with an easy one, do you?
    Not1 knows way more about Buddhism than me and there's nothing I can really add to his answer other than maybe saying that although this is a good question, unfortunately we simply can't know the answer with out limited minds. You may also want to look up the idea of the soul in Buddhist terms because...well...there isn't one. lol! I suppose is the easiest way to say it.

Glad to meet you and don't be shy to keep asking questions and contributing whenever you feel like it.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2006
    BCCroney,

To tell you the truth, the answer will probably depend on who you ask as some traditions have different ideas about the fate of those who obtain Nibbana. However, from my experience with the Pali Canon, the question is unanswerable in any conventional sense due to the very nature of Nibbana—mainly the fact that it is unconditional. Nevertheless, I can say that from what I've read, there is absolutely no mention of being reunited with any sort of divine essence. Such an idea is simply not found anywhere in the Pali Canon. A few references which may help to answer your question more fully are MN 72, SN 22.85, SN 22.86, and Iti 44.

Sincerely,

Jason
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I am reminded of the old saying:

"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

Palzang
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    after enlightment - the laundry
  • edited November 2006
    I appreciate the feedback it was actually helpful. I am writing a paper on Buddhism and I have found it rather enjoyable. While I do not "buy" many elements of it, I plan on incorporating many of them into my daily life.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Well, you don't have to "buy" it - it's free! :winkc:

Palzang
  • edited November 2006
    BCCroney wrote:
    I appreciate the feedback it was actually helpful. I am writing a paper on Buddhism and I have found it rather enjoyable. While I do not "buy" many elements of it, I plan on incorporating many of them into my daily life.

To expect to "do" anymore is but folly.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2006
    After Nirvana???

I say, "Who cares."

It doesn't make a bit of difference to me at this point. Today is the day of doing. Tomorrow may never come. If you believe in rebirth - your best bet to do the best you can today.

I know this doesn't answer your question - but I honestly can't grasp or deal with Nirvana, rebirth or reincarnation. So I do what I can, right here - right now.

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    Buddhafoot,

The face on that cat avatar looks just like my little kitten. I just cant find the water melon that is small enough to fit on her head. Anyhow, during my practice as a Buddhist nun, I have heard that the ultimate goal of Buddhism is to teach one to become a Buddha. Nirvana is just a skillful mean. In the Lotus Sutra, it says that the father fools his children so they can get out of the burning house which is symnonymous with the body.

Now before you all jump my bone, please understand this is what I have heard. I do not know what Nirvana is. But becoming a Buddha takes practice and the right kind of view, and that is right view. All other is idle talk. Sorry for sounding bitter, but this old granny dont have time for sentiments and child play. I have to act my age, grumpy and cranky you know.

SG
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I can handle grumpy :)

Try using an apple instead of a watermelon.

Or even a small cantaloupe.

-bf